Durban - The Fun City of South Africa
Great Fun Family Vacations In Durban Natal South Africa
Durban was where I met Paul in December 1958, and when we decided on a honeymoon vacation in 1963, there was only one choice, Durban. The distance from Johannesburg where we lived to Durban is 400 miles and is the closest beach.
We stayed at the Beach Hotel (a new hotel in 1963) situated on the famous Marine Parade.
Over the years, if there was a long weekend off we would go to Durban. It was the first ocean that our children every saw.
Durban... South Africa is Great!
Have you ever been to Durban?
Durban South Africa
The Superb Vacation Destination
Durban is one of South Africa's top vacation destinations. It is situated on the east coast of South Africa with the warm waters of the Indian Ocean which make it an ideal choice for the whole family.
My Must see recommendations when you visit Durban:
- The Beaches: The beaches are fantastic and perfect for all members of your family. It is world renowned for its surfing, and body-surfing. I just love and enjoy swimming in the warm waters.
- The Promenade: We have wonderful exciting memories of Durban and walking along the Promenade is one of them. The atmosphere is great day and night. You will find the finest restaurants and hotels and all the shops are within walking distance.
- uShaka Marine World aquarium. I have been to many aquariams and this one compares to the best in the world. Your family will enjoy every minute and have a great deal of fun.
- Victoria Indian Street Market: The Indian street market is a must see for the tourist. Just the different smell of spices makes it a worthwhile visit. The great food at the many restaurants are an experience not to be missed.
- Umgeni River Bird Park: This bird park is a wonderful and educational place to visit with its many, many species of birds.
Durban has Great Surfing!
Do you surf?
Great Surfing in Durban
uShaka Aquarium Durban
Durban - Maharani Hotel - Rolls Royce and Bentley Owners Club of South Africa
In 1986, when I was still living in Johannesburg, South Africa, I organized a long weekend for The Rolls Royce and Bentley Owners Club of South Africa. The weekend was held at the Maharani Hotel in Durban, South Africa.
What a wonderful weekend we all had!
Durban the Perfect Vacation Destination
1986 - Rolls Royce and Bentley Owners Club of South Africa
Durban was the perfect choice, when we were deciding on where to take our club members for a 5 day weekend. What a magnificent choice
it turned out to be. There were 56 Rolls Royce and Bentley cars and their owners that came on this wonderful trip.
Everything was planned to the finest details to make it a trip to remember. The different themed breakfasts every day, lunches at different exciting venues, drives in convoy to places of interest, and of course festive dinners and entertainment each evening.
Dinner on the first evening was a traditional Indian evening with music and a comical entertainer.
This picture is of Paul and myself, and our daughter Felicity, dressed in our Saris for the Indian evening.
The second dinner was in the hotel Raffles club - Mafia, Bonny & Clyde buffet with music and dancing.
The third dinner was the Gala Dinner "le Bistro" French evening - everyone wore formal dress.
The fourth dinner was a tropical Mauritian evening with music and dancing.
Rolls Royce and Bentley Owners Club of South Africa
Appreciation to us for organizing this wonderful weekend at the Maharani Hotel, Durban.
We were so thrilled to receive this beautiful silver platter, presented to us by the club and it's members.
Just everyone enjoying themselves and their beautiful cars would have been thanks enough.
Thank You Card
Zulu Wire Baskets
Beautiful as Gifts and to Decorate your Home
The Zulus are one of at least a dozen tribes in South Africa. They are very proud people and have been in the Durban, Natal area for at least 400 years,
They are renowned for their wire baskets. I was a collector of these baskets for many years and used them in decorating my home as well as for gifts. As they are hand made, no two are alike, and that is what makes them so special.