- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America
Yosemite National Park
Unforgettable Mountain Views, Extraordinary Wildlife, and Cascading Waterfalls at Yosemite National Park
The Crown Jewel of the Sierra Nevada
There are over 3.5 million visitors yearly that come to take in the awe-inspiring panorama of Yosemite National Park. The California National Park of the High Sierras is one of the best places to camp, kayak, sightsee, rock climb, hike, or just sit back, relax and take in the amazing views. Yosemite is known for its huge granite peaks, clear, cool rivers, gigantic cascading waterfalls and abundant wildlife.
Photo left of Yosemite by Randy Lemoine, licensed under Creative Commons 2.0.
Yosemite was famously protected by the work of people in the late 1800's like John Muir. Muir realized its unmatched beauty and strived to protect the land of Yosemite from development, encroachment, overuse, overgrazing, and logging. Thanks in part to Muir's work, Yosemite was designated a National Park in 1890.
Depending on the season and elevation of the area of the park, temperatures range dramatically, even during summer. High peaks can be in the 50's, while the low valley can hit 90Â°F in the summer. Winters are generally mild and controlled by the Pacific Coast air currents, which are only about 100 miles from the park. The chances of seeing precipitation in the park are usually slim. It remains very dry year-round.
Yosemite is one of America's favorite National Parks.
How many times have you been to Yosemite?
Another Grand View of Yosemite...Half Dome on the Right
Entering Yosemite Valley...
The Valley of Yosemite is something you will never forget. After trekking through the beginning of the park to the Valley viewpoint, you can see the entire panorama displayed before you...Half Dome, Glacier Point, El Capitan, and the Merced River.
Part of the Surreal Scenery of Yosemite Valley
Read this before booking your trip!
Much of Yosemite is closed to vehicles throughout the year. Tioga Pass road is often closed until May or June until snow melts and roads are cleared. Every year snowfall and rock debris has to be cleared from all of the roads for safe travel.
More Information on Popular California Destinations:
Yosemite Videos on YouTube
Why is it so Beautiful?
Glaciers from the Ice Age sculpted the famous u-shaped valley that millions of visitors flock to every year. The slightly tilted Merced River has been slowly carving out the beautiful granite landscape of the Yosemite Valley creating what we see there today.
- Yosemite National Park Official Site
Not just a great Valley... but a shrine to human foresight, strength of granite, power of glaciers, the persistence of life, and the tranquility of the High Sierra.
- Live WebCam from Half Dome!
A Live Webcam of Half Dome in Yosemite!
- Half Dome View
Another live webcam of Half Dome from an alternate viewpoint.
- Who is John Muir?
A Squidoo lens by Comfortdoc all about the "Father of the National Park Service."
- The Official Wikipedia page for Yosemite
Everyone and everything has its own page on Wikipedia...why not Yosemite?
- Yosemite Park Info
Additional info about Yosemite, from bear information to stargazing to rafting information.
- Awaken your Spirit in Yosemite
Lodging, dining, reservations, ski pass info and more all available on this easy to use site.
- Top Five Best Yosemite National Park Sightseeing Destinations
The five quintessential "must-sees" inside the park.
- Yosemite National Park Pictures
View beautiful photos of the park, as well as paintings, videos, and information about the park.
The Merced River
Did you know...
...that there are nine National Parks in the state of California alone?
What is your FAVORITE part of Yosemite?
Yosemite Travel Time Estimates
Here are the distances from locations to Yosemite National Park drive time. Traffic time not included!
- San Diego to Yosemite National Park: 430 mi – about 7 hours 15 mins
- Los Angeles to Yosemite National Park: 310 mi – about 5 hours 19 mins
- San Francisco to Yosemite National Park: 189 mi – about 3 hours 58 mins
- Fresno to Yosemite National Park: 92.6 mi – about 2 hours 1 min
- Portland, Oregon to Yosemite National Park: 741 mi – about 12 hours 22 mins
- Seattle, Washington to Yosemite National Park: 914 mi – about 15 hours 9 mins
- Las Vegas, Nevada to Yosemite National Park: 416 mi – about 7 hours 50 mins
- Phoenix, Arizona to Yosemite National Park: 680 mi – about 10 hours 43 mins
- Salt Lake City, Utah to Yosemite National Park: 615 mi – about 10 hours 53 mins
- Lake Tahoe, California to Yosemite National Park: 216 mi – about 4 hours 55 mins
- Giant Seqouia National Park to Yosemite National Park: 155 mi – about 3 hours 2 mins
Yosemite Books on Amazon
Recommended California Guides - Get to know where destinations in the Golden State!
Also, be sure to visit Wallpaper by Design, who provided some of these amazing images of Yosemite. Check them out!
Have you been to Yosemite? Would you like to share your experience? Be sure to tell us all about it!