Places To Visit In Taranaki New Zealand
Mount Egmont/Taranaki in the heart of Taranaki - Stratford
Taranaki - North Island New Zealand
Taranaki region has a population of 114,800 (June 2014 estimate).
These are the main towns in Taranaki.
The main centre of the Taranaki region is the city of New Plymouth which is a picture of beauty, it has just under half the residents for the population of Taranaki.
Then there's Stratford - The heart of Taranaki, right under Mount Egmont/Taranaki.
Also Hawera in South Taranaki, where the beautiful tower is situated, you can see it towering among the hillside approaching Hawera from the south.
Taranaki, New Zealand - Lifestyle Like No Other.
Farming And Energy Production Characterizes The Taranaki Economy.
The region’s soil and abundant rainfall create ideal conditions for dairy farming, and Taranaki was the first specialised dairying area in New Zealand.
Taranaki remains one of New Zealand’s pre-eminent dairying regions.
Farming beef cattle and sheep in the high country.
Crude oil and gas in the region, both on- and off-shore, brings income and jobs which make Taranaki a go-ahead place in New Zealand.
Liquid condensate from the Kapuni field is pumped to New Plymouth for storage before shipment to the Marsden Point refinery at Whangarei.
Kapuni In Taranaki
In 1982 Natural Gas Corporation's sister company Petrochem, set up a plant next door at Kapuni to use the natural gas and catalysts to fix nitrogen in the air to make ammonium gas.
The Gas was then converted into Granular Urea for use as a fertilizer it was a very exciting time in Taranaki, I remember it clearly.
Kapuni has seen a lot of first's in New Zealand.
It was found in the first modern oil exploration programs.
First gas field to be commercially developed.
Also first major direct government involvement in the petrochemical industry.
It was the birth of the nation's petrochemical industry and herald.
Kapuni put Taranaki position as the petrochemical heart of New Zealand.
Taranaki In The North Island Of New Zealand
Taranaki Has Two Major Power Stations.
New Plymouth Thermal Power Station is the second largest thermal power station in the country.
The Stratford Gas Turbine Power Station began operation in 1976.
Most of the gas used to fire the station’s generators is from the Maui field, although smaller amounts come from the local Waihapa/Ngaere field.
A second power station has also been constructed at Stratford.
Snow Fun Below The Mountain Reserve In Taranaki.
Beauty Of Taranaki
Mount Egmont/Taranaki a very attractive mountain, that soars from the heart of Taranaki with its 2510 meter Peak, it last erupted in the mid-18th century.
On a clear day, you can see Mount Ruapehu with Mount Tongariro and Mount Ngauruhoe glowing white with snow clad slopes to the east of the centre of the North Island.
Taranaki has a very interesting national park, and two marine reserves, iron sand beaches and great surf, wonderful lakes, a vibrant arts and crafts scene, gourmet cafes and restaurants, museums and galleries and a range of activities for those with a sense of fun and adventure. Taranaki – like no other.
Te Rewa Rewa Bridge - New Plymouth.
Experiences To Enjoy In Taranaki, New Zealand
1. You can, pedal a wind wanderer, ride a bike, take your dog for a walk, exercise yourself while pushing your child in a stroller along New Plymouth coastal walkway.
2. Take a walk across the new Te Rewa Rewa bridge. The bridge is part of the northern extension to the Coastal Walkway, connecting New Plymouth with. it was officially opened on 5 June 2010. In July 2010, its first full month of operation, the bridge was used by 55,756 cyclists and pedestrians.
3. Explore the mysterious Forgotten World Highway in East Taranaki.
4. Stroll the pretty 52ha Pukekura Park.
5. Enjoy one of Taranaki's exciting art and music festivals.
6. Visit the exquisite rhododendrons at Pukeiti.
7. Take your board on a road trip along Surf Highway 45.
8 Relax on Oakura Beach and see the world's biggest surfboard.
9. Walk up, on or around iconic Mt Egmont/Taranaki.
10.Take in the galleries and exhibitions of this artistic area, on the shores of North Taranaki.
11. Todd Energy Aquatic Centre a swimming complex located adjacent to the Coastal Walkway.
12. Shop in Centre City Mall.
13. Take a family visit to the Devon Hotel and enjoy a buffet meal at Marbles.
14. Visit Manganui - Stratford Mountain House, on Mount Taranaki, have a meal, ski, stay overnight.
15. Visit Lake Mangamahoe.
16. Visit Brooklands Zoo.
17. Christmas carols at the Bowl of Brooklands.
18. Visit the beautiful Lake Mangamahoe.
Awesome Helicopter Flight over New Zealand's Mount Taranaki Volcano.
Have you ever visited Taranaki in NZ?
The main lake's attractions are taking photos especially of the mountain, (you can see it in the back ground of the above photo.)
The lake includes geese, ducks, you can go for a forest walk, ride a mountain bike, great track.
It's a place to relax after a long trip in the air before you start exploring around Taranaki, and it's not far from New Plymouth.