- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Asia
Singapore: Fountain of Wealth, Merlion, & Chili Crab
Want to know more about Singapore? Are you a lover of travel, geography teacher, homeschooling or involved parent, student, or life-long learner? In an effort to make world geography more meaningful and memorable, I've compiled all you will need to locate Singapore on a map, cook a Singaporean meal, watch YouTube clips on Singapore, color the flag, create a Singaporean craft, read a great book about Singapore, and more!
Please DO NOT copy this elsewhere without giving proper credit: http://iijuan12.hubpages.com/hub/s-is-for-singapore
Where is Singapore?
Locate Singapore on this map of Asia. Use this map of Singapore to label the capitol, Singapore. Mark other relevant features (rivers, mountains, famous locations, etc.) if desired. If you'd like to spend a bit more time researching the country, you can add the language, currency, type of government, religion, and/or famous landmarks. Write them on the back of the map. You can easily find all this information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore.
Fun facts about Singapore
Singapore is made up of one main island and 63 other tiny islands. Most of the islands of the country are uninhabited.
Though there is no scientific explanation for it, it has been seen that more Singaporeans are born in the month of October than any other month of the year.
The symbol of Singapore is 'The Merlion', half-fish and half-lion beast.
Singapore is counted amongst the 20 smallest countries of the world. However, it is the second most densely populated country in the world, after Monaco.
Singapore is the largest exporter of ornamental fish (25% of the world market).
The Fountain of Wealth is the largest fountain of the world and is located at Suntec City in Singapore.(facts-about-singapore)
Visiting Singapore on YouTube
Prepare and serve Singaporian Chili Crab, crusty bread (purchased from store), hot tea, and honeydew melon balls and pineapple wedges.
Singaporian Chili Crab
Chili Crab is the national dish of Singapore.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: 4-6
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce or regular chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lb. cooked snow crabs (from seafood department of grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 seeded and minced red chile (optional)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 chopped green onion (garnish)
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl (chicken broth, ketchup, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, vinegar, & sugar) and set aside. In a large heated wok or skillet, add oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add the garlic, ginger, and chili, and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the crab, and stir fry an additional 2 minutes. Now add the sauce, reducing the heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring once or twice, till the crab is cooked (6-7 minutes). Finally stir in the egg and cook just until it begins to set (1 minute). Pour the sauce all over the crab and garnish with the green onion. Serve right away with crusty bread to soak up the sauce. (This recipe came from food.com.)
Make a Clay Merlion
The symbol of Singapore is 'The Merlion', half-fish and half-lion beast. Use modeling clay to make one. If desired, push a bendable straw from the bottom through the mouth of the merlion, and try to shoot water out of the merlion's mouth.
Read a book about Singapore
A collection of delightful tales from Singapore with gorgeous illustrations
Plenty of beautiful photograhs and lots of up-to-date information
Pray for the people of Singapore
To find out about the religious nature of Singapore and specific ways you can pray for the country, go to operationworld.com.
Other countries starting with the letter S
Would you prefer to study a different country? Try one of these.
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
SÃ£o TomÃ© and PrÃncipe
Ready to visit another country?
Go to http://iijuan12.hubpages.com/hub/around-the-world-in-26-letters to find links to all the countries we "visited." Each webpage features a menu, craft, books, video clips, worksheets, and more!