Visit Colonial Williamsburg
American History In Action
This guide provides a preview of what you'll see and experience when you visit Colonial Williamsburg, VA.
Prepare for your trip with recommended resources, tips for an enjoyable visit and plenty of pictures to get you started.
Official CW Info
- Colonial Williamsburg
The official website for Colonial Williamsburg. Get the latest info on events, tickets, special offers, educational resources and even take a virtual tour of the city.
What's your favorite part of visiting Colonial Williamsburg?
More about Colonial Williamsburg
Get the kids ready...
Williamsburg is a great place for a family vacation. Help your kids enjoy their visit to Colonial Williamsburg with a little preparation. Reading stories and doing their own research will familiarize them with the history behind Williamsburg.
They'll probably come up with their own list of top things to see and do during your stay. That's great! It means they're interested and excited.
They could even dress up in colonial costumes for their visit!
What do you think of Colonial Williamsburg?
Recommended Sites and Attractions around Williamsburg
- Williamsburg Winery
Visit this beautiful winery only a short drive from Colonial Williamsburg.
- Busch Gardens - The Old Country
Enjoy the rides, shows and other thrills set in old world Europe.
- Shirley Plantation
Established in 1613, Shirley Plantation is Virginia's first plantation and the oldest family owned business in North America. If you only have time to tour one of the James River plantations, this is the one.
- Jamestown and Yorktown
Visit Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in the New World. Visit Yorktown where the British army surrendered to General Washington ending the American Revolution.
- Berkeley Plantation
Berkeley is the birthplace of William Henry Harrison, 9th U.S. President and Benjamin Harrison V, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Tips for a successful visit.
- Be Prepared to Walk - There is a lot to see in Colonial Williamsburg, so wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Try to plan out your route in advance to minimize backtracking.
- Dress for the Weather - Williamsburg's climate is typically mild but can get hot and humid in the summer. Check the latest forecast on WeatherBug.
- Research Special Offers - The official CW hotels usually offer package rates that include the exhibit admissions. Check their official site for details.
- Make Dinner Reservations Early - Reservations fill up quickly for the on site restaurants.
- Take At Least One Guided Walking Tour - They're very informative, fun and give you a deeper understanding of colonial life. The guides are knowledgeable and able to answer any questions.
Colonial Williamsburg Photo Credits
Except where otherwise noted, all Colonial Williamsburg photos are used under Creative Commons from their respective owners. Owner info can be found by clicking on the photo to view their Flickr page.
American History In Action
Colonial Fife & Drum Corps on Palace Lawn copyright and used by permission of Mac33.
Ok, it's not like signing the Declaration of Independence, but please share your thoughts on Colonial Williamsburg. What advice would you give someone planning their first trip to Williamsburg?