Clay Projects for Kids: Jigsaw Puzzle
Family fun crafts are projects that can be interactive for everyone. A jigsaw puzzle is a great indoor activity along with being a fun project for kids and adults alike. Look for interesting images from a magazine or from an online search. Keep the image simple for younger children, such as a cat or bird, and more complex for older kids and adults. If desired, you can add magnets to the back of each puzzle piece to create a refrigerator art puzzle. Adult supervision required.
- Air dry clay
- Two wooden spoons
- Your chosen picture - a drawing, a magazine cut-out, or something printed from your computer
- A butter knife
- A paintbrush
- A craft knife
- Paper towels
- Spray varnish
- Roll out the clay between the handles of the wooden spoons. The spoon handles will help keep the clay at an even thickness.
- Place the picture on top of the clay and use the back of a butter knife to trace the outline of the image on the clay. If your picture has a lot of detail, keep the outline broad. For younger kids keep the outline to the shape of the image, like the shape of a dog. For older children and adults the shape can be more abstract.
- Remove the image and cut out the outline using a craft knife. Be careful not to change the shape of the pieces.
- Cut additional puzzle shapes, if desired.
- Smooth over the edges with a little water and a paper towel.
- Create a frame for the puzzle by using the wooden spoon handles again and making strips to fit around the clay outline.
- Paint as desired. Let dry.
- Apply a coat of varnish to each puzzle piece, including the sides. Let dry.
Other Craft Projects:
- Ecosystem in a Jar
Teaching how to create ecosystems in jars is a simple process and one that may be related to creating larger ecosystems such as on Mars.
- Recycling Pizza Boxes - Tic Tac Toe
Recycling can be fun when you turn a pizza box into a game. Creating the game might be more fun than playing.
- Making a Rice Paper Chandelier
Making a rice paper chandelier is an easy and inexpensive craft to create.
- Make a Mask of King Tutankhamen for Kids
Learn how to create King Tut's death mask. This project is fun way to learn about death masks and may be used for a halloween mask.
More by this Author
Netherlandish Proverbs by Pieter Bruegel is a 16th century painting based on proverbs and created in a comedy format.