jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

What is Thrust ball bearings ?

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Sounds kinda painful to me.

2. Pearldiver profile image85
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

He's talking about thrusting his bearings on us... Not his balls! yikes

3. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

4. 0
    Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago

It's more what are they.  They are ball bearings supported in a ring, permiting similtanious rotation between parts of engineered constructions and are commonly used in automotive, marine and arospace applications.  Yeah, I don't know what they are either.

5. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

Tapered needle rollers are used where thrust is present.

Never heard of using ball bearings for these sort of applications. Examples of thrust races are wheel bearings.

6. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

A thrust ball bearing is usually contained in a circular ring and handles an axial load (kind of pushing straight forward), and a roller bearing generally takes the radial load (kind of coming from the sides), which basically equates which way the Force is excerpted.

7. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 6 years ago

ooops!  wrong thread.  pardon me.   didn't mean to interrupt. (puts up SCIENTISTS AT WORK sign)  big_smile

1. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Does it look like this?

8. th1981 profile image60
    th1981posted 6 years ago

A thrust bearing is a type of rotary bearing. They allow rotation between 2 parts.  They absorb the the axial force which is caused by the unbalance between turbine wheel and compressor wheel.  Low quality or OEM turbos typically have 270 degree thrust bearings, high performance turbos have 360 degree thrust bearing.  When you go to have a turbo rebuilt it is with the extra money to get a 360 thrust bearing put back in.