The Importance of a Motorcycle Alarm
One might wonder why anyone would need a motorcycle alarm. Motorcycles are by no means immune to being stolen. As a matter fact, the problem is on the rise. In 2007 over 71,000 motorcycles were stolen. The cost to motorcycle owners for this crime was over 440 million dollars.
With some simple precautions like installing a motorcycle alarm, motorcycle owners can lower their risks of becoming a victim of this crime.
Installing a motorcycle alarm is one of those things. Due to the inherent differences between automobiles and motorcycles, more precautions need to be taken to prevent theft.
- You can buy systems that are discreetly installed.
- These systems can have remote activations to be carried on your key chain.
- They can have ignition interrupt switches. If a person tries to start the bike without the alarm being deactivated first, the entire ignition system will be disabled.
- They will also have motion sensors that chirp when a person gets too close to the bike. This serves as an early warning system to would be thieves. If amateur thieves think that they might draw attention to themselves, they are more likely to move along to an easier target
Professional thieves are unlikely to be deterred by a motorcycle alarm. There are some additional measures that you can take to prevent these persistent parasites from rolling off with your ride.
Some heavy chain or cable locks can be purchased that include a motion detector on them. Even if the person was able to get past the motorcycle alarm, they would have to get past the chain lock. These locks are passed through the tires to prevent the bike from being able to be rolled.
Although many spectators will ignore a motorcycle alarm system that has a blaring audible alarm, they will be much more likely to notice a thief who is trying to cut through the chain. A bike with the tire chained can still be stolen if a few guys are there to lift it into a trailer or a truck. Many bikes are actually stolen this exact way.
This is where another more covert method of passive security comes into play. Most people have heard of LoJack. This is a device that will immediately begin broadcasting the bikes location through the use of a network of satellites should your bike be stolen.
This device will even notify you if you motorcycle is stolen. It won't do anything to prevent the bike from being stolen but it will allow law enforcement to quickly recover the bike.
The best motorcycle alarm measures involves utilizing a multitude of tactics.
- Park your bike in a well lit area and crowded area. It might be tempting to park your new Harley in the back 40 of the parking lot to avoid the possibility of someone scratching it but this will also make it easier for a thief to do their dirty work. Never make things easy for a thief.
- Don't leave your bike unattended for extended periods of time. If you're not going to be around for several days, park it in the garage or in a neighbors driveway.
- Use a motorcycle alarm with an ignition disable feature, a wheel locking device, and a LoJack or similar device.
Motorcycles can be extremely expensive and unfortunately, they are also easy marks for thieves. Your job, if you don't want your motorcycle to be stolen, is to make it as difficult as possible for a criminal to steal it in the first place.
Do yourself a favor and buy a motorcycle alarm for your bike
Buy a Motorcycle Alarm From Amazon!
- Home Burglar Alarm Systems
I remember the day when no one even thought of installing a burglar alarm in their home. Gone are the days when everyone on the block felt comfortable leaving their doors unlocked day and night. I remember...
- Cheap Mopeds
What is cooler than a Moped? Okay, maybe there are a lot of things cooler than Mopeds but they are still really cool. Every time I see one in town or on television, I can't help but smile. Moped...
Motorcycle Alarm Poll
Have you ever had a motorcycle stolen?See results without voting
More by this Author
Tracking a cell phone online can be simple if you'll just read what I have to teach you in this article. Once you know how to do this, you'll wonder how you were ever able to live without this knowledge.
Before you sign up for Sprint Family Locator, read about the pros and cons of the service including how to use it without the other person knowing they are being tracked.
Today I will be telling you how to fix many of the problems that you might be having with your RV water pump. Few people actually understand how the water system works in their RV. If you have a 5th wheel, motor home,...
Do you have an motorcycle alarm on your bike?
No comments yet.