Creative thinking - improve problem solving skills.
What is creative thinking or creative problem solving?
Creativity or creative thinking is the ability to breaking out of set rules or patterns to bring meaningful things or concepts or problem solving skills into existence. The use of imagination and thoughts that do not necessarily conform to the normal way of thinking allows for better problem solving and creative skills.
Being creative helps us think differently, come up with new ways and methods of looking at situations, solve problems or meet needs, gives us a sense of satisfaction, helps increase our self-confidence and our self worth. It is a wonderful way of relieving stress and avoiding stagnation. It keeps our mind active and ever young.
When does creativity or creative thinking show up in us?
Creativity is birthed out of passion, when our mind is focussed on finding a way out of the mess. Being emotionally hinged on to some problem in which you need a breakthrough often brings out the creative best in you. You do not have to be a novelist or a painter or a sculptor to be creative. You just need to break the set patterns of thinking and find creative solutions or creative problem solving skills to tackle the problems you face in your daily life.
Now that would mean all of us are creative. Watch babies and how they play, their favourite toys are not what you buy from the malls, a spoon and a plate, a bowl that can spin and make noise on the floor, or some gooey mud or just some dough that you make for pizza or bread. That is creativity, but our ‘don’t do that’ and ‘no’ stifles creativity at infancy.
People often think that the highly educated or the smartest are the most creative people, it is often the other way around, the most creative are the ones who are least tied by formal education. I have seen people who have been academic disasters being so successful at some creative venture or the other. At a recent class reunion I was forced to reconsider my earlier thinking that the smartest are the most creative.
Who is a truly creative person?
I think that this quote explain who is a creative person.
“Because of their courage, their lack of fear, they (creative people) are willing to make silly mistakes. The truly creative person is one who can think crazy; such a person knows full well that many of his great ideas will prove to be worthless. The creative person is flexible; he is able to change as the situation changes, to break habits, to face indecision and changes in conditions without undue stress. He is not threatened by the unexpected as rigid, inflexible people are.” — Frank Goble
Is it possible to improve your creativity or creative thinking ?
“Every day is an opportunity to be creative – the canvas is your mind, the brushes and colors are your thoughts and feelings, the panorama is your story, the complete picture is a work of art called, ‘my life’. Be careful what you put on the canvas of your mind today – it matters.” — Innerspace
Certainly! You can improve or increase your creativity. You need to break out of certain ways of thinking and believe that you can be creative too.
Remember, “All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning.” — Albert Camus
The very fact that most of us think that creativity is the exclusive property of artists or people who work on imaginative content is a dampener. This kind of thinking stops us and put a lid on our creativity and we loudly proclaim to the world that we are not the creative types!!
The thought that creativity is only for the extremely talented and the bright sparks is a fallacy.
The concept that thinking should always be logical is another way of stifling creativity.
Extreme caution and inability to take risks chokes your creativity.
Fear of failure is another huge factor that stops creativity in its tracks.
Inflexibility of thought and action, or rigid styles of functioning is an enemy of creativity.
We need to break away from such thinking if we want to improve our creativity.
How to improve your creativity - Tips to improve your creative thinking skills
- Curiosity is the mother of creativity, be curious, ask why or why not? And you will find yourself thinking laterally.
- Learn as much as you can on the subject. Widening your knowledge gives room for wider thinking and asking questions. Ask the questions and do not rest until you find the answers.
- Let your imagination run wild. Never let logical thinking disturb the reign of your imagination. You might find the answers in those wild dreams.
- Think out of the box, clichéd as it may sound, it is the only way to be creative.
- Brainstorm. Yes, even if you are alone. Come up with different ways of doing the stuff, however silly the idea may seem, note it down and sometimes with the synthesis of two or more ideas you can come up with a brilliant piece of innovate answer.
- Note your thoughts or record them on a device for future use. Sometimes your best ideas come not when you are working but when you are sleeping or relaxing and if you do not take care to record them, they will vanish in a flash, as they appeared.
- Yes, creative ideas spring up when your mind is at ease, so take a nature walk, or some gardening or some craft work or even sleep.. learn to relax and take breaks instead of stressing yourself out, when you are faced with obstacles.
- Problems, needs or obstacles are not hindrances to your progress but they are a doorway to great inventions and creative solutions. So if you are faced with a problem today stop thinking negatively and accept them with open arms, break some rules and think laterally until you come up with something.
- Take a break, start something new and come back with a fresh mind and you will find a way to break through your problems.
- Do not be afraid to divert from the standard approaches to a problem, take calculated risks and remember it is okay to make mistakes. All great inventors learnt from mistakes before they arrived on the scene of their invention.
- Be patient, persevere, dream and approach things from the wrong end you may come up with brilliant ideas.
Think creatively be healthy in mind
Remember today, that a creative mind is an active mind. Being creative brings so much more satisfaction than working all day long, on your mundane jobs. Even mundane jobs need not be boring if you can find creative ways of doing them. It is bound to get you all the appreciation you need and helps increase your self-confidence and self esteem. This will not only help keep your mind active but also healthy and free from degenerative diseases like Alzimers or Dementia. So now, use your mind to the fullest potential possible today!!
More by this Author
Self-confidence is how we perceive ourselves in relation to our situations. Our self confidence is often eroded by the fear of rejection. Such fear causes people to be immobilized, and it prevents us from making...
We are constantly challenged by the pressures of life, to be able to control and mange your emotions is as important as overcoming the challenge. Here are some tips to stay in control ...
Our neural pathways are wired by our beliefs, emotions and habits. They can function on auto pilot and are responsible for fight or flight responses. It is possible to rewire your brain to function differently. Here are...