Green Construction Jobs and How to Get Them
The Obama administration has estimated that 15 million buildings will be constructed in the United States by 2015. The vast majority of these will be built for improved energy efficiency and reduced carbon emissions. The Obama administration is also pouring money into green remodelling and retrofitting programs around the nation, and into programs designed to rebuild public infrastructure and create a new green economy based on alternative energy, public transportation, and similar industries.
All of these programs will contribute to an estimated addition of 780,000 new construction jobs around the nation. Many of these new jobs will be green construction jobs.
Not all green construction jobs require specialized degrees or other training beyond a general construction-related degree and/or apprenticeship. However, specialized training is always a good idea and may be necessary in some fields, such as straw bale construction and weatherizing.
Sample green construction jobs and suggested education levels include:
- Home improvement retrofitters install energy efficient appliances, run safety and performance tests, and similar activities. These are often entry-level positions requiring a high school diploma or GED.
- Insulation installer is another entry-level position likely to see huge job growth as energy efficiency standards become stricter.
- Green carpenters, plumbers, and electricians generally require trade school degrees or apprenticeships in the field. If you are interested in green construction, seek out schools and professionals who specialize in green building.
- Green construction managers generally require an associate's or bachelor's degree in a construction related field. Specialized training or certification in some aspect of green building is a plus.
Especially for Veterans
- United States Green Building Council
The U.S. Green Building Council is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community of leaders working to make green buildings available to everyone within a generation.
- American Green Jobs
Uniting to grow America's green workforce
- Great Green Careers
Great Green Careers has alternative energy jobs, environmental jobs, green building jobs, social investing jobs and other green jobs.
- Green For All
Building a green economy strong enough to lift people out of poverty
- Apollo Alliance
Clean energy, good jobs
More by this Author
Starting a seasonal small business is a flexible way to earn extra money when you need it. You can run a business a few months of the year and take the rest of the year off to to relax or pursue other career goals or...
Rego Korosi Whether you've always dreamed of starting a business of your own, or you've become frustrated after a long and unsuccessful job hunt and decided to go independent, deciding what kind of small business to...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE45
I have to confess, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people call wasps and yellow jackets "bees." I'm not even a beekeeper, I guess it just upsets me because it gives bees a bad rap... and they're having...