Is a Project Manager Certification Necessary?
What are the advantages of getting a Project Management Certificate?
certification, just like any other credentials, demonstrates to
potential employers or clients two things:
- your skills and understanding of your
particular industry, whether it be construction, health care or IT, and
- your dedication to the profession.
Couple those with your experience, you'll be in a much better position in winning a job or a contract. Additionally, some companies require a project management certificate to move up in the organization which almost always lead to higher salary
How much do companies take a project management certificate into account?
While there's no substitute for experience and proven track record, there are firms, especially large construction companies, who require a project management certificate to move up within the organization.
IT Project Management Certification
Video above is a quick demonstration of calculating the crititcal path as part of the PMP exam for project management. Instructor is from a software / IT background.
What is a typical project management salary?
In a 2006 survey by the Project Management Institute (PMI, the same guys who give out the PMP exam and certification), the median project manager salary is $96,000. The survey also indicates that project management salary is supplemented by a bonus upon successful completion of projects. The $96,000 figure includes bonuses.
The survey also confirmed that experience is one of the most important determinants of project management salary; entry-level project managers should expect lower earnings while they are learning the trade.
How long is PMP exam prep course?
Courses are designed to prepare for the certification exam like PMI's PMP certification exam (Project Management Institute's Project Management Professional credential exam). Classes are usually 3-5 days depending on the curriculum provider.
Is a formal course necessary for the PMP exam?
To prepare for the PMP exam, classes are not necessary since you can pass them using a project management professional study guide with self-study books and CD's. However, prep courses are available for online or in-class studying. It really depends on how you learn. Now, to qualify for the exam, the PMI requires the completion of 35 hours of project management education.
Can the PMI exam prep course be taken online?
What is PMP certification? What are the requirements to qualify for the PMP exam?
Per the PMI, with a high school or GED, 5 years project management experience and 35 hours of project management education OR with a bachelor's degree, 3 years project management experience and 35 hours of project management education. The 35 hours of project management education can come from any of the following:
- PMI Registered Education Providers (R.E.P.s)*
- PMI Component organizations*
- Employer/company-sponsored programs
- Training companies or consultants
- Distance-learning companies, including an end-of-course assessment
- University/college academic and continuing education programs
* Courses offered by PMI R.E.P.s, PMI Components (chapters, specific interest groups, colleges), or PMI, are pre-approved for contact hours in fulfillment of the educational eligibility requirement.
Addtionally, the applicant must complete the application process, including becoming a member of PMI, and pay the appropriate filing fee.
More on Careers
Other careers depending on your skills and what you want to do:
- Game Art Design: A mixture of passion for video games and digital artists
- Computer Forensics Investigator: High Tech Law Enforcement
- Becoming a Court Reporter: A steady job that not many talks about. Here's why? Actually, you know why. Need I remind you that we're a litigious society?
- Financial Planners: Do you like managing and seeing money grow?
- How to become a Pharmacy Technician: The future is healthcare, healthcare, healthcare. And this is career path is health care on the retail side. Great if you're a "people person".
- How to become a Medical Coder: Good time to look into this healthcare job that's not known to many. Will gain benefit from the stimulus plan that Congress and President Obama passed to help the future of America.
More by this Author
A former Elite agency model, Carla Gugino has been wowing many movie goers with her work in Sin City and Entourage. She's also one of the star of Spy Kids, the popular movie series directed by Robert Rodriguez. She...