Pre-Interview Writing Sample

1. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 3 years ago

Hi all!

How is everyone?  I noticed there have been a lot of changes while I've been busy with school - too much for me to keep up with!  lol  Especially since I can only drop in once in a while for brief moments in time....  Anyway -

I have an interview scheduled for Tuesday, for a Marketing Internship, and was asked to submit a writing sample by noon on Monday.  I was asked to write 300-400 words on a piece of technology that I used, explaining the benefits and why someone should buy it instead of something else.  (I chose my film camera) 

Questions:  What format do I use?  Is it okay to say "I" and "You"?  Should it be single or double spaced?  I was planning on sending it as a PDF attachment - is that okay or should I send it in Word?

2. Rhonda_M profile image90
    Rhonda_Mposted 3 years ago

You certainly should use I, since you are giving a first hand glimpse at the software and it makes the writing more conversations. However, I wouldn't use 'you' because that gets you into a voice shift.  Instead, use the word  users, as in "here's how user can benefit". (strictly speaking we don't know who 'you' is here). 

Some other tips: Use a very tight defined structure including a description of the product in the opening, (make it short), and then say you will talk about three key benefits that any user will get which make it better than others (also a good idea to say what those are). Then one short paragraph for each benefit.

I would single space it with short paragraphs, so that it stays on one page. Readers have a short attention span. Also, try to make the opening and closing especially interesting.  I would send it as a PDF, because the formatting of a word file can change depending on where it's being downloaded. It also gives less chance for the file to altered by others.