Just finished filing for my Non-Profit where do I go from here?

1. bonnebartron profile image76
    bonnebartronposted 6 years ago

So I started a Non-Profit to support the US Military without any political or religious affiliations, and I could really use some tips on how to get started! I have some projects I'd like to start working on, but I am at a loss on how to generate donations.... Money's not really something I'm great at... Any suggestions would be great, anyone with Non-Profit experience would be unimaginably fantastic! Thank you!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

there are many things to consider.  first is to communicate what the projects are - are they your ideas or are they needs that have been identified by your target population.  Clearly define the target population.  Raising funds - people tend to want to donate to tangible items - they want to see what it is they are supporting especially for a grass roots project.  Keep it simple at first - be really clear with your vision.

Basically, i'd develop a business plan because you are in the early stages.

Determine the ways to get the project/message to your target population and other stakeholders.

I could go on and on about this - but u are at the very beginning stage.

It's a really competetive climate for raising funds because of the change in the economic climate.  And consider not only funds but donations of goods/services and of course volunteers.

There are many foundations available that target specific issues/topics.

1. TMMason profile image76
        TMMasonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is some excellent advice.

The SBA has alot of different packages and info on how to draft the bussiness plans and examples of models. You could also look at existing NPOs and check out what works for them. I am sure someone at some of them would take some time to respond.  Wounded Warriors and all them. Maybe it would result in some connections and links within the NPO scene also.

I would think about speaking to people within that area.