Articles or Video.. what is the best way to get free website traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Article Magick profile image60
    Article Magickposted 13 years ago

The battle between video and article marketers seems to cause as much controversy as the rumble in the jungle (for those of you who remember that ..;-))..

My question is aimed at those with a concrete opinion and no fence sitters are allowed (sorry!)..

What's your favourite and why when it comes to free website traffic; article marketing or video distribution?

2. naijainvestor profile image61
    naijainvestorposted 13 years ago

articles are the best way to promote your site and get traffic to your site/hubs. Am speaking from the african perspective. The reason is that watching videos onlone in africa is generally difficult as it takes hours at a sitting to buffer and load because of the absence of 3G or 4G internet specification. The average african would love to read than watch that video.

Article Magickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting naijainvestor, we have the same problem in rural parts of my own country where connection speeds are very slow and video takes hours sometimes to stream.. .

3. profile image53
    Teddy Fanposted 13 years ago

Of course it depends on the quality of the content. For me a quality youtube video has produced more traffic than a high quality article submitted to ezinearticles. Videos also rank quicker for me thus providing traffic quicker.

Teddy Fan - where are you submitting videos to and for what reason? direct response marketing or backlinks?

4. Wayne K. WIlkins profile image64
    Wayne K. WIlkinsposted 13 years ago

I personally believe it depends on the content that is being promoted. For example, a viral campaign for a movie could get millions of hits with a video, whereas an article promotion campaign for a small home business wopuld likely benefit more than a video would.

I agree Wayne.. I was recently sent a Google made video whereby you type in yout first home address and the video takes you on a journey through the eyes of a young child.. you may have seen it, but it went viral and was a really good use of video to promote Google's other tools (other than search that is)..

5. Neil Ashworth profile image42
    Neil Ashworthposted 13 years ago

Articles and videos offer internet marketers a great way to get free targeted traffic and to boost search rankings. From my experience, articles that are well written and crafted to convert will generate a better ROI but videos are really useful for building exposure and online presence; offering a viral branding tool if used correctly.
    Most solo entrepreneurs fail, though, through lack of focus and limited time when starting out so I would always advise to start with one area and stay productive - video or articles - and you will see positive results.

I agree Neil. One or the other, at least to begin with.. for me it is articles..;-)

6. abbeynism profile image41
    abbeynismposted 13 years ago

Personally, article marketing has an edge over video marketing. I have tried both and article has been giving me better result than video. Though content of the article is the power behind a successful article. likewise a well arranged and valuable video can skyrocket your online presence but article is better as it also boost your backlink.

abbeynism...thanks for your input.

7. Stelsie profile image60
    Stelsieposted 13 years ago

Here are 9 ways you can get free and fast traffic and backlinks to your website:

1.) Submit Your Blog URL to Search Engines - Yahoo, Google, Bing and free directories (such as addme.com,submitexpress.com etc)
    2. Social-Bookmark the URL of every Post and Article
    3. Comment on Other People’s Blogs and Websites in Your Niche
    4. Submit Contents to top Article Directories, with your website URL in the resource boxes
    5. Guest Post on Related Blogs
    6. Post Contents, Questions and Answers on Forums and Q & A sites, with your website URL in the resource boxes
    7. Setup Your Blog’s RSS Feedburner
    8. Write and Give Away Free Reports
    9. Social Bookmark every post and article
    10. Write an eBook, embed your blog URL and then submit it as PDF to top document sharing sites.

I hope these help.

-Stella

Thanks Stella... appreciate your input!

8. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

They are different, video marketing is nearly completely for marketing, article writing is mostly for organic SEO.

Interesting thisisoli.. you haven't come across video site maps yet then?

These are clearly intended for SEO purposes so although I agree with you from a historic point of view, if the last few years of the internet can be referred to as history, things change and search changes.. I'd also argue (in a nice way) that article writing is equally as powerful as a marketing tool..

In my humble opin ion.. ;-)

9. Mavis Nong profile image60
    Mavis Nongposted 13 years ago

Interesting topic. I started off with video marketing with very little results.

I started seeing significant results when my focus shifted to written content.

At the end of the day, it's all about finding what works for you, what resonates with your personality, learn and master it so that you can turn your business around.

I would agree Mavis.. each to their own ;-)

10. Stelsie profile image60
    Stelsieposted 13 years ago

Video marketing is less saturated than article marketing space - lots of folks just are scared of showing up on screen or don't know how. So if you are good at Keyword research and can do videos, it can be an additianal traffic source via the video channels.

I recently read a top marketer’s report that the entire video available online is produced by only less than 30% of marketers (you’ll have less competition in any market).
    Video seems to have proof for getting more traffic and it’s not as saturated as article marketing as there are fewer people producing videos. 

Here are some video market statistics for you, from Kim Roach’s underground traffic black book:
    -52% of web traffic is video, according to eMarketer.
    -The New York Times has reported that more than 70% of all web visitors
    watch online video.
    -The average YouTube visitor spends 27 minutes watching video every
    single day.
    - YouTube alone serves up over 200 million video clips per day.

Cheers,

Stella

1. crisstar profile image72
      crisstarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Stella here in that some people just don't translate or come across well on video...that is IF you put yourself in the video. You can do video marketing without putting yourself on camera of course.

I like article marketing because I love to write and I find it freeing to express myself via my words. And I do get traffic and even recognition from my articles.

With that said, the best way to get website traffic is going to be determined by you and your tracking.

You must track and  see where your traffic is coming from. To go the extra mile, you'll want to see which kind of traffic is converting better, article marketing traffic or the traffic from your videos.

Only you can make that determination. I learned long ago to not listen to people who say, "XYZ is the best for traffic, or XYZ marketing is dead."

You test and track and ultimately do what's best for YOU.

Corrisa

11. profile image54
    teoaaronposted 13 years ago

Yesterday I went to a lecture about getting targeted results out of Marketing using Social  Media.
    Best thing I learnt was that 20% of Australia is functionally illiterate. When asked, 20% of people couldn’t find plumber in the Yellow Pages because their reading skills were too low.
    So that means 1 out of 5  Australiana can’t read pretty much all the words marketers like you and I spend our lives writing on the internet,  websites, brochures.  I know what you’re thinking: “AAGHHH! Why did i go to all that effort on writing the perfect words”.  I feel for you. Tell you the truth, and please don’t hate me…………………………………………I’m glad the people YOUSHINE VIDEO markets to are mostly businesses who have advanced reading literacy levels. Right?  Gulp.  Hope so.
    So we discussed-  the Curtin Graduate School of Business Academics, students and I- HOW DOES THIS NEWS AFFECT MARKETING PRACTICES?
    Well one academic suggested we dumb it down to primary school level reading.  But another worried that would put off the highly literate demographic who would feel patronised. And what about the risk of being sued because the marketing is so basic, it didn’t go into complex issues that need to be disclosed?
    Well guess who had a happenin’ solution!
    Yep, me!  Believe me, I myself was surprised no one else piped up with it. Maybe those academic types are shy. Anyway I suggested marketing to people online in a visual way to accommodate those that can’t read good.  I mean well. Just kidding guys! So you deliver the information visually via online video.  You use simple spoken vocabulary and so you don’t offend the smart side of the target market – like you dear reader- you go for satirical humour. Some people call that a piss-take, I call it satire so my mum doesn’t ground me. All the way from the retirement village.  Anyway YOU MAKE IT FUNNY so everyone enjoys watching the online marketing video. More to the point because it’s told visually and with voiceover instead of text- EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS THE MESSAGE YOU WANT TO TELL THEM! But it gets better. For those who are illiterate you put the video up on platforms they access. Yes, even the illiterate are online. How you ask, dear reader? Through their friends on Facebook who share the video with them or tell them about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)