Evaluating the Value of Your Hub
There are a lot of Hubs on HubPages. There are a lot of Hubbers on HubPages. However, each and every Hubber has to decide how he or she is going to evaluate their own work and what is worth keeping on there. Some think that they should allow the Hubscore to determine which hubs are worth keeping and get rid of everything below a certain line. However, this could be a bad idea and could get rid of good hubs, with good money making potential. So, how is it we should evaluate the value of our hubs?
- How To Increase Your Author Hubscore
Now that you are a hubber it is time to figure out how to increase your scores. This can be a complicated thing to understand and in some ways harder to change, but you have the power if you are willing to put in the effort!
Each Hubber has a lot of numbers to look at. One is the HubScore of each hub that they make and another is their overall Author HubScore. These numbers lead to a lot of confusion and can make for some troubled feelings. However, they shouldn't scare anyone and they can encourage you to work harder. As for article HubScores these are determined by a lot of different things. Some of it has to do with pageviews, how long it has been published (usually a hub will fall right after it is published or if you take a long time to write it before rising again), and more statistics. You can watch your articles move up and down the line in the HubScores and sometimes these movements are very dramatic. Many of my articles fluctuate from the 70's to the 90's. Does that mean hubs that are lower then that aren't any good? Nope, often it has to do with them being viewed less!
A Cut Off Line
There have been many who have asked if they should delete hubs that fall below a certain point. Some have felt that this point should be fairly high (such as 70 on the HubScore) or lower (such as 50). The truth of the matter is that deleting hubs is really a bad idea and rather counterproductive. After all you put time and effort into your hubs. Even those with a low HubScore can have some value. It is better to use other methods of evaluating its value.
What Makes a Hub Worth Something?
There are several ways to evaluate your hub. Here are just a few to get you started thinking about your hubs and whether or not you should keep them.
- Does it have something to say? Whether you have a creative writing hub or one that is sharing knowledge and information (or even an opinion) the question can come down to the same thing. If your hub has something to share with someone, then it is worth something.
- Do you like it? You probably aren't going to think that all of your hubs are fantastic, but if you like the hub then it has some value.
- Does it accomplish its purpose? Hubs can have a lot of different purposes. They can be there to share something, make money, or even to put something into words (poetry anyone). While a hub might not make as much money as you have hoped, or it might not get as much traffic as you desire, that doesn't mean that it isn't accomplishing its purpose.
- How to Promote Your Online Writing
Whether you are writing a blog, a website with lots of content, or articles for sites that share revenue or pay by the page impression promoting your work is important. The more traffic you have the better,...
Make It Better
If you still don't feel good about your lower scored hubs, then you need to work on making them better. Here are a few tips that can help make your hubs even better.
- Edit it- Sure, you work hard and you have a good hub. But sometimes the mistakes (be them grammar mistakes or even places that are hard to read) can make it something that gets promoted less and is less likely to be read by others. Make sure that your hub is easy to read, understand, and as free of mistakes as possible.
- Add to it- If your hub is short or short on information add to it. You can add more text that adds more detail about the topic, include links that may be of help, and even pictures and video for a more complete hub.
- Promote it- Your hub may have a low score because it doesn't get much traffic. This is often because it is in a topic that doesn't get a lot of search results, but is more niche. Promoting it by bookmarking it, talking about it, and sharing it with others who you know are interested in the category can be very helpful.
Traffic and Money
Often times, the more traffic you have the more money you will make. However, this isn't always the case. For example, the article that I have that gets the most traffic is one about making money online. It doesn't make me much money, if any. After all, people want to know how to make money online, but they don't want to click the ads which most people know are scams now. On the other hand, the article that makes me the most money is about making bracelets. It gets a ton less traffic then the online money making one, but it gets Google Adsense Clicks, Kontera clicks, and even Amazon sales. All in all, traffic can equal money and money can come from lots of traffic, but it doesn't have to work that way.
- Writing Hubs: For You or For Traffic
There is actually a lot of debate about whether or not you should write hubs here at Hubpages (or articles at other sites) for you or for traffic. The choice is yours, though there are lots of benefits and a...
The value of your hub isn't always expressed in a super impressive hubscore. However, if it is something that you took time to write, put information in, and made it your best it is worth keeping around. It isn't recommended that you delete your hubs, after all today's low one could be high in a month or two (or even five or six). Give it time and do your best with each hub you write. That's all you can do!
More by this Author
There are many people who choose to do their own piercings. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. However, if you have a good idea of what you are doing, what you should use (and shouldn't use), how you should care...
Fish oil supplements have become very popular. What are the side effects?
Teaching your baby sign language has become a much more popular thing to do in recent times as well as "Baby Einstein" videos, and listening to loads of classical music. However, it is one of those debated...