jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

FIXED: A minor new profile text error

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"...Last seen 31 minutes ago days ago."

1. melbel profile image91
      melbelposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Experiencing the same.
      Last seen 2 hours ago days ago.
      tongue

paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We are all doomed...

1. Rik Ravado profile image92
          Rik Ravadoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is terrible!  How can Hubpages screw up my life with such devastatingly sloppy programming?  I shall rant on about this for weeks while explaining how important I am in Hollywood.  I hope hubpages staff realise this significant error may destoy my successful business empire!

Ops sorry - was briefly channelling another hubber but am OK now. smile

paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. calculus-geometry profile image87
            calculus-geometryposted 4 years ago in reply to this

we have a thread winner

2. JakeFrost profile image61
    JakeFrostposted 4 years ago

I was just about to add this then saw it's already here...

This is from staff member Simone Smith's profile

"Last seen 43 minutes ago days ago."

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I saw a new profile of someone here 5 days and the hubs all have over 700 accolades of beautiful, helpful, etc.  The hubber score is below 30.  ??

4. brianlokker profile image89
    brianlokkerposted 4 years ago

In addition to the odd and ungrammatical "last seen" text, I question how the time is calculated. I presume it's from when I was last signed in to HP. But if I am currently signed in, as I am when I'm writing this, shouldn't the message be "online now" or something similar? And as I've said in another thread, the phrase "Last seen" itself is a bit odd. Personally I don't see the value of this particular bit of information anyway, but if it is going to be displayed, it should be meaningful and accurate.

A very minor related issue that probably applies to only a tiny fraction of HP members: If you've changed your location since joining HP, the first statement under your name won't be accurate either. The "joined" calculation and the location are now combined in one sentence, instead of being listed as separate pieces of information as they were on the old profile. I recently moved from New Jersey to the Washington DC area, so I am now from the latter location but I didn't join from here. I guess it doesn't matter, but as it now reads it's not correct.

1. Aficionada profile image93
      Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm curious: what do you find to be ungrammatical about the passive voice? It may not "be preferred" (N.B.  lol ) in strong writing, but it does have its own special grammatical place in the language, even in good writing. Is your objection the lack of parallelism in the verb forms? "Joined" - active; [is] "from" - complement of copula; "seen" - passive.
      Agreed. HP needs to add a semicolon after the "joined" information.

1. brianlokker profile image89
        brianlokkerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No problem with the passive voice here. I was just referring to "minutes ago days ago." it was clearly a coding problem but it's been fixed.

5. JakeFrost profile image61
    JakeFrostposted 4 years ago

It's fixed now, on mine anyways

Closed to reply

working