jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Freeze the quoted content in forum responses

1. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 4 years ago

On several occasions recently, I've commented on a forum post only to find that the original comment has been edited. That's OK, but the quoted content that I've commented on also changes. This should not happen. When I hit reply, the system should import and freeze the original comment, since that is what I am replying to. It makes no sense to allow the quoted text to be changed.

2. Pearldiver profile image85
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

+ 1  Totally Agree Para....  the entire context of one's response has the ability then of becoming irrelevant or worse 
    I'm pretty sure that's why the same privilege is not afforded legal documentation, in the real world!

Paragliderposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Pearldiver - I'm sure it can't be a hard change to make. Maybe one of the programmers will take it up.

3. derek gulbranson profile image82
    derek gulbransonposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Paraglider.

When using Chronological mode in the forum (there's link in the upper right), if you click the "import and edit quote" link then the quote will be statically included in your response and will not be updated if the original message you're replying to is updated by its author.

It's not necessarily an easy task to support that same functionality for normal replies in the threaded view, but I will check to see how much work it is.

Paragliderposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Derek.  it would seem the best option is to import and edit, but then not edit. That's not difficult smile

working