Google Issue: Google Authorship

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Dale Hyde profile image79
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

Sometime back when HP switched to the new profile we could not add out Google Authorship to the link.  We were told that HP staff would take care of that as long as we linked to our Google profile.

Prior to the new profile, all my hubs showed the rich snippet as displayed in the Google Authorship tool.  Upon searching all the hubs individually, they all showed up as a Google Authorship listing.

I have just noticed that all my hubs now do not show up as a Goggle Authorship listing.  None, zero.

Is there a reason for this HP Staff?  Have you taken away what is needed on my profile under the Google+ URL, stripping me of showing Google Authorship for my material here?

My WordPress blog articles are all displaying the Google Authorship just fine.

Again, as stated, HP Staff is the only ones who can put the additional material on your Google+ authorship according to them and they were to do it automaticaly.  I opened my profile and the additional needed information is not there in the URL. 

Please check on this as this is just one more form of punishment so it seems, just like the idled hubs.

Have any others who have Google Authorship checked and noticed the same?

1. ktrapp profile image93
      ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have checked and my Google snippets no longer show authorship. And I think one of my Hubs in particular is taking a traffic hit due to this. I think having that photo in the snippet really does improve click through.

I also checked multiple other Hubbers on Google that I know had authorship showing in their snippets previously (melbel, greekgeek, Glenn Stok), and nothing shows for them either. When I use Google's structured data testing tool, your authorship, mine, and all the other ones I mentioned work.
      http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets

I've spent a lot of time reading about authorship today and it looks like it is set up properly on HubPages. Authorship for HubPages requires three parts, two of which HubPages has to do to the code, and one of which we have to do to our own individual Google Plus profiles.

First, our HubPages profile page has to be linked to Google Plus. In the past, as you indicate in your post, some of us did this ourselves in the old profiles with a URL with rel=author appended to the end. Since we can no longer post active links on our profile, HubPages has made the link to Google Plus for us in the "also follow me on..." section. You no longer see rel=author on that URL, but if you look at the source code, there is a rel=me within the anchor tag for the Google Plus URL. That is acceptable according to Google.

Secondly, all of our content pages (Hubs) have to link back to our individual profile page to help establish authorship. HubPages does this with each of our profile name links (i.e. by ktrapp) that appear next to our avatar on each and every Hub we publish. If you look at the code, you will notice that rel="author" is within that anchor tag. According to my research, that is how it should be done.

Finally, a link has to be added to the Google Plus profile pointing to the HubPages profile.

So...All Hubs by author ABC point to ABC's  HP profile page with rel=author within the link code; ABC's HP profile page contains a link to Google Plus with rel=me within the link code; and ABC puts a link to abc.hubpages.com on their Google Plus page.

This is an excellent article on this 3-link method for anyone interested:
      http://searchengineland.com/the-definit … kup-123218

I am not a coding expert by any means, but to me it looks like HubPages has done as promised. But I do hope that whatever is causing this change is resolved soon. However, it should be noted that Google doesn't necessarily put authorship in all snippets according to one of their support articles.

Interestingly, about a week ago melbel started a forum where another Hubber's authorship was appearing in her snippet. Paul E. said in the forum that the issue was sent to Google. It seems like that particular issue was resolved, but now authorship doesn't seem to be showing up for many of us at all any more.

Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the insight on all you shared. Always welcome!

You have certainly laid out the proper procedure for Google Authorship.  On the old profile on HP, I did that and it worked.  With the new, HP was supposed to do their thing and mine was done as well, and it was working.

On my Wordpress, I did the steps as you reference and it works.... the steps are similar, but actually easier to do on Wordpress.

I also feel that the photo with the additional information and other articles that appear in the Google Authorship snippet and search provide more views as well.

I do appreciate your research on this and your sharing.  You spent quite some time to view the various members hubs and search for them.  That is very commendable! smile

Hopefully, this is a glitch, either Google related or HP related.  If it is Google related, perhaps HP can try for resolution with Google.

2. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

This isn't just Hubpages; I think it's Google.

For much of 2011 and 2012, I had my author photo and links showing up next to my more popular hubs and lenses.

Around September, two things happened.

1) My author photo disappeared from many of my articles. I've still got the author photo on a few lenses and hubs, but not as many. Google warns us that it will decide whether it thinks our authorship is relevant to a particular search, and I guess it's getting more picky and choosy.

2) Google started replacing my author profile photo and name with that of important people whose websites or books I've linked to in my articles.  This looks like a BUG on Google's end, and I think we need to ride herd on Google to fix it.

Okay, thanks.  I do know all of mine showed it and now none do.  As mentioned, every post on my blog continues to show it... It seems that if it was Google, it would be unilateral, on both places I have material.  Thanks for sharing, however. smile  At least I know it is also showing (or not showing) for others as well.

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

My blog is still showing my author info too.

I wonder if it's something to do with sites that have multiple authors. I've had this problem on Squidoo and Hubpages.

I'm getting really tired of seeing Seth Godin's bald head in place of mine on some of my best articles. tongue

Lol, so far I have not had anyone else;s head appear on any of my articles... However, I don't think I link to anyone that is well recognized and such.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I keep reading all of this tech talk and understand none of it.  Sometimes I think I'm better off not messing with such things because they seem to change almost daily and cause nothing but headaches for writers.  I don't get many views, but I also don't get many headaches...or money lol!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)