jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

writer's block

1. shielamaeparreno profile image83
    shielamaeparrenoposted 3 years ago

Hi fellow hubbers! What do you do when you're experiencing the writer's block? I have this free time right now (which is rare) but I just can't think of anything. I have a topic in mind though.

1. James E. profile image62
      James E.posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I find a informative book (non-fiction) and take notes to continue to hone my writing skills.  I have found it helps to write in an academic style.  It expands your writing knowledge and as equally as boring that may sound as doing nothing...at least your subconscious is picking up a skill for the next time you have a deadline, pressed for time, and have no choice to write through your writers block.

And another tool would simply be writing rubbish and ranting until an idea finds you or maybe by accident through your rubbish, incoherent writing a theme or thesis arrives?

...that concludes my unsolicited advise for now tongue  Hope it helps!

1. shielamaeparreno profile image83
        shielamaeparrenoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks James! That's a great idea. I'm actually doing it now and it helped. More topics are coming to mind but of course, I have to choose just one. I'm writing them down all the others, will get back to them after I'm done with the first.

I've tried reading as well but I only get so engrossed with it that I forget I'm looking for something to write. smile

2. shielamaeparreno profile image83
        shielamaeparrenoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure if I clicked the 'reply' button when I wrote my reply.. Anyway, thanks again! smile

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I posted a forum entry yesterday suggesting that everyone creates some well researched (SEOd) questions so that those who have writer's block can find some hub subjects and 'answer' the question with a new hub - check out the answers section under the 'explore' menu!

1. earner profile image87
        earnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've been looking for the answers for the past few days..... they used to be more easy to find, now when I log in there's a Question I could answer, but no handy link from there to "look at all questions".....

I'm off now... to find one to answer smile

2. Gcrhoads64 profile image98
    Gcrhoads64posted 3 years ago

Sometimes I can get inspiration by looking at pictures. A have a few articles inspired by a photograph that made me want to write something "around" it. smile

3. Denise Handlon profile image88
    Denise Handlonposted 3 years ago

Hub ideas are everywhere.  When you have the itch to write but no particular topic try going into the Q & answer a few of those...sometimes that will spark a creative way to write about a subject.

In regards to not being able to write due to a true 'block' there are many books that teach how to overcome this.  One reason this block may occur is that we think in 'perfectionistic' standards.  Instead, allow the mind to rest and NOT judge the outcome and just write gibberish until something pops up and the flow restarts. 

Or, change your scenery-take a walk, etc, again, allowing for the mind to rest.

Or, try to sit quietly, do a few deep, slow breaths to relax, and then a few minutes of quieting the mind, as in meditation. 

Or, do something active and totally opposite of sitting and writing: exercise, visit friends, cook-something physical...see what happens when the body engages and the mind is at rest. 

Best of luck to you.