Hub ratings criteria in question.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. silvatungfox profile image64
    silvatungfoxposted 10 years ago

This is the letter they sent me when apparently one person looked at my new political rant hub. It is not empty, does not contain misspellings of grammar that make it difficult to read or understand,does not use all capitals .. no full width links, comments or product capsule, no audio, only one photo which is an original from maurinedodgephotography.com (my website portfolio.  I had two links to news stories about the two cases I was referring to in the hub. No music or slideshows.
    "
    Your Hub has been identified as incomplete or Poorly Structured. If this is the first time you've gotten an email like this, don't worry! You'll have an opportunity to fix it.

Moderator Note: maurinedodgephotography.com

Hubs that are empty or incomplete, contain misspellings or grammar that make them difficult to understand, or have difficult-to-read formatting (including the use of all capital letters) are poorly structured. Hubs with a full-width link, comment, or product capsule as the first capsule of the Hub are also prohibited.

Similarly, Hubs with broken links or missing YouTube videos, Videos with distorted or low quality audio, or Videos that are unoriginal and/or poorly structured music slideshows do not meet publishing standards.

Your Hub has been unpublished. When you are finished editing it so it complies with our Terms of Use, please click the "Submit for Publication" button. We will then review your Hub and publish it if it is no longer in violation.

Please note that repeated violations will result in the banning of your account. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with our Terms of Use and our Learning Center before publishing again:

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … ow-Quality

Sincerely,

The HubPages Team "

In addition to the preface I wrote before pasting the letter they sent.. I believe this is their response to my saying their criteria was unclear and asking what their objection was that was severe enough to stop publication. I also had said I had not agreed entirely with all their re-rating of everyone's hubs, including mine.  Since it is still clear as mud why they do not want to publish this hub, I have not re-submitted it.  I spent more time researching this hub and the laws and people involved than I normally do. I gave careful thought and did a couple of rewrites before pushing the publish button.
    I have no idea what they object to and quite frankly feel it is censorship based upon political expedience. Curious if in addition to the re-rating of everyone's hubs and the stuff with not featuring a hubs others are experiencing what appears to be censorship at it's worst.
    It is an assumption that only one person viewed the hub based upon one vote in the survey in diametric opposition to the one I posted to test it working. Seems to me with someone with 60 or more acceptable hubs of which about a third are featured (and before the re-rating all were rating higher numbers than they do now) would not get a letter threatening banning from the site on a first issue. Did the Nazi's buy out hub pages? Is there to be censorship based upon politics? I would add a photo of a kid I know with a t-shirt that says" I only cry when a republican tries to hug me", but don't want to stir the pot until I see if I get an answer that is not a stock one without reviewing anything. (which is how I view the above letter.) I invite constructive criticism, That is not what I am getting so far from Hub pages.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you think it's censorship, go check out the political and religious sections of the site. There is some absolute drivel in there.

It's more likely that this is based on exactly what they said - the hub is too short and doesn't have enough additional and unique content. You'd need more than one photo to make it a quality hub, and the layout of some of your other hubs is almost continual text with a photo thrown here and there.

Check out some top hubs to see how they're usually laid out to keep reader attention smile

silvatungfoxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but I don't find your theory to hold water. Hub in question is over 1500 words. As a photographer I know how photos enhance and help a layout but using photos that have zero relevance or do not make a statement on their own is not good form and unnecessary. I have hubs with no photos that do ok.  While photos can help, they are not required to have a good article or hub.
        Irrelevant photos are useless and detracting. I will disagree that it takes photos to make a quality hub. It is far easier to have a quality hub with good photos, but they are not a requirement for good writing.
        It would appear that you have been around longer than I have here so it  is appreciated that you responded. I just don't agree with your view. I wish I could say I found your comment of use or in any way a reason for my experience.
        My biggest objection is to the line : Please note that repeated violations will result in the banning of your account.
        Since I can find no violations and they have not really identified any to me, but sent me a form letter listing things that for sure do not apply, my hub does not get a viewing or a judgement from the audience.
        Too bad you cannot see the hub for yourself to judge .. wait.. isn't that censorship? to deny the reading and judgement of the audience? Guess it couldn't be since Hub pages publishes things you consider drivel.
        I hope I do not become that judgmental of other peoples beliefs and positions. I do not have to agree with them to allow them voice.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WryLilt is correct; HP does not censor hubs based on the message of the hub except that they require it to be within Adsense guidelines..  They very much do censor based on their perception of quality writing, however.  It is a part of the price you will pay for writing on a site designed, supported and paid for by someone else.  Should you demand a totally uncensored workplace you will have to pay for your own site.

The links given in the HP response are a very good place to start, and within the link to the learning center is another link to an explanation of the QAP, including a link to the actual scoring process being used.

http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Suggest you study that guideline and use it to honestly rate your own hub.  Shooting for an "8" or above in all categories should result in your hub being accepted.  If, of course, you should decide that your idea of quality takes precedence over HP's, you will most likely fail in getting the hub published.

Thanks I have read that some 6 times now. Too bad it did not apply to what my issue here is. Wait, how many readings is a study to you? Never mind, I know I have much to learn, and there will always be room for improvement. Perhaps you just don't understand my complaint.  I will be astounded if it is not published now they have finally identified what the issue for them was.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I agree that it is not about content, nobody care about that unless it is the kind of content that scares Adsense away.

They note your photo source, maybe they think you a ripping the photo because they do not realize it is your site.

To get clarification you need to email the Hubstaff

The incidents of problems I see on these forums are:
    1) Hubber makes error
    2) Hubpages automated glitch
    3) Hubpages manual error

--Note "suppression by the man" is not on this list.

which is good to know it is not on the list. In my query I had mentioned the length was within guidelines, the only photo was my own, etc etc, it was then I got what seemed  like an auto response that did not tell me anything of help.

3. silvatungfox profile image64

The email I got in response to my query was more a form letter listing every possible violation that makes a hub sub-standard and was not at all clear about how I was in violation. I have now gotten another email that I was able to garner it had nothing at all to do with the article. (too bad they could not have just said there is a link that does not work it would have saved me at least a day.)
    I am still offended that the email I got has a warning that I will be banned if I persist .. when you cannot tell what they object to, you can hardly avoid the problems.
    The link in fact was so obvious a typo had I not been searching the article, but had just looked at links it would have been moments to correct instead of days. It was a source for my photo and the word photography came out " photogarphy." .
    I guess I expect more in the way of communication skills fromr folks who are supposed to be writers.
    It was easy to come to "it must be censorship" when all the things mentioned (length, grammar, spelling, ) do not apply to your work, and you know it.

4. silvatungfox profile image64

The email I got in response to my query was more a form letter listing every possible violation that makes a hub sub-standard and was not at all clear about how I was in violation. I have now gotten another email that I was able to garner it had nothing at all to do with the article. (too bad they could not have just said there is a link that does not work it would have saved me at least a day.)
    I am still offended that the email I got has a warning that I will be banned if I persist .. when you cannot tell what they object to, you can hardly avoid the problems.
    The link in fact was so obvious a typo had I not been searching the article, but had just looked at links it would have been moments to correct instead of days. It was a source for my photo and the word photography came out " photogarphy." .
    I guess I expect more in the way of communication skills fromr folks who are supposed to be writers.
    It was easy to come to "it must be censorship" when all the things mentioned (length, grammar, spelling, ) do not apply to your work, and you know it.

5. silvatungfox profile image64

and now this thing is double posting on me.. great.

6. Tom London profile image40
    Tom Londonposted 10 years ago

Wow this forum turned into a blogosphere smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)