Why Is It Impossible To Communicate With Hub Pages ?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. wellness5 profile image60
    wellness5posted 12 years ago

On the 18th May, my hub was flagged for being over promotional.
    I removed some links of so called prohibited sites (affiliate links) and left in a very useful link to my article on Ezine Articles and a Squidoo lens of mine which is also very informative on the same subject.

I submitted the hub for republication on the 19th May. I also sent two emails, one on the 19th May and one yesterday, 23 May. I have heard nothing and my hub remains unpublished (after 6 days when the process is supposed to take 3 days!)

My question is why does the process take so long and why is it impossible to get a glimmer of communication from Hubpages, apart from rather unfriendly warnings, etc??

It certainly does not encourage writers at all. Hubpages says that all hubs are reviewed by humans but I am beginning to wonder.

Rob

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

This is a direct quote in its entirety from a email I did receive:

"Please note that while you are permitted 2 links per domain on a Hub.  For further clarification, see http://hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional."

..seems to be half a thought? I think that may be symbolic of the whole experience here now.

3. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

HP have been good in terms of helping me recently, very quick response, you just have to be patient.. I'm in Thailand at the moment big_smile

4. sunforged profile image70

Thats good to hear.

Ive received no responses. After the third request I got the message above, which reads like some jumbled gibberish to me that was cut and pasted from somewhere,albeit badly.

I wont count that as a response.

Patience is an acceptance that unpublishing when they dont have the staff or manpower to respond quickly is a legitimate practice.

Not only am I not patient about such things, Im an internet marketer so I share my experiences wide and far. 

On the other hand, I am patient because i still take the time to try and send email and share my experiences. In case you havent noticed a good number have just up and left rather than play mickey mouse games.

5. Krysanthe profile image91
    Krysantheposted 12 years ago

I recently asked a question of HubPages. Yes, it took a bit of time for them to respond, but I was thrilled that response I recieved was not just a canned response. 

For me, I would much rather have to wait a little while to get a response and get one of value then to have the HubPages team just ship out any old answer with out really looking into the question I was asking. 

Patience is a virtue, and I have no doubt you will get a response.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps you are missing something in your posted comment that is EXTREMELY RELEVANT to those of us who have been HERE and Published Hubs that were highly ranked with SE's - Which of course takes a hell of a lot longer than 5 Weeks to Achieve!!

Perhaps the majority of New Members Accept the current performance of HP as being Just Hunky Dory and Wonderful? roll

Though factually, if you are more observant.. then you may perhaps Notice that those of us who are discussing such subjects, are writers who have been here for roughly 2 Years and Longer!

We are the people who are FACTUALLY able to see the ATTITUDINAL and OTHER NEGATIVE CHANGES that have occurred within the 'Team' @ HP... The Site HAS GONE BACKWARDS @ 100 mph and THAT INDICATES MANY THINGS to anybody READING THE GAME PLAY!
      We had also previously joined this site under a Completely Different Set of Promises and Attitudes. At those times, the HP Team Respected the Writers here and encouraged Positive Interaction. Their Response Times were Immediate and they ATTACKED PROBLEMS Instead of ATTACKING The EFFORTS Of The HUBBERS! 

So Please..... Don't Justify Or Promote The Open Non-Performance Insults!!  Perhaps you will understand a bit more when you see your Keyword and Ranking Efforts on Income Generating Hubs completed Bastardized or Pirated, as a Direct Result of the Ignorance - Arrogance - Incompetence - Insincerity - False Promotions of a party that has earned substantially from the Reputations and Quality of those who Currently Get Ignored... And Those who got sick of the BS and Left!! sad

1. Krysanthe profile image91
        Krysantheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for assuring that I will not be posting any of my opinions on the forum for a long time.   It's been quite a while since anyone has made me feel quite so badly...BRAVO!

1. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Intent was NOT to hurt your feelings .. nor to apologize for my directness or candor! I do apologize if you feel that I have offended you though.
          However, one of the key reasons why threads like this are started in the first place... is actually because of the points that I have made in my post.

I am sure from the content of your post that you have not suffered the indignity of those issues that have been raised by the more experienced members! If my post feels as if it has insulted you emotionally... then it may well be that the practical context of my words were given as a practical observation, as opposed to an emotional one!

Believe me... none of us wish any ill-will towards you.. but ALL of Us Know that at times like this it is Always BEST To Call an Apple an Apple and a Lemon a Lemon... Irrespective of our personal choices of flavour! In that respect, everyone understands what is and what isn't BS... smile

2. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keep posting. For me. Please?

1. Krysanthe profile image91
            Krysantheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For you?...aww...how can I say no, espcially when you asked so nicely.

1. profile image0

Great! Hence, we have decided to move on toward the next great adventure.

6. bgpappa profile image77
    bgpappaposted 12 years ago

I agree that patience is important, but its nearly a week now with no response and the hub remains unpublished, which means not getting traffic, not getting views, making no money. One would think HP would want to respond quickly because they are losing money as well. Very odd.

Hope you get a response very soon sunforged

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Why is it impossible to communicate with HubPages? It's not. I have one or two issues, but for the most part, my emails have been answered and my unpublished hubs have been republished.

I would think it has more to do with how many emails the staff goes through in a day? I am sure that they are working on thousands of emails daily, but getting only some done. Being backlogged in emails, isn't going to make their job any easier.

Just my thoughts. smile

8. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

I think it was Sunforged who said a while back that you should not disable more Hubs than you can enable again in a timely fashion.
    Or something to that effect.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more.

I think we all realize that the team is incredibly busy and can't possibly be expected to respond to emails quickly.

However, they should take that into account when setting the deadlines for unpublishing.

My case is a good example. I got the warning email and immediately fixed as many of my Hubs as I could - however I had some where I couldn't find the problem.  I emailed the HP team within a few hours of receiving the warning email, and again a few days later.

I finally got a response, but only after the deadline had passed and one of my Hubs was unpublished.

It's not fair that a Hubber who's trying to do the right thing should have their Hub unpublished just because the team had a backlog - and I'm sure I'm not the only one that has happened to.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, you're absolutely right it's not fair.  And it's even more unfair if hubbers get their accounts banned while they're in the process of "trying to do the right thing".

9. tlpoague profile image80
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

It just takes some time and patience. I have had some of my questions answered immediately and some have taken a little longer. I usually just set aside those hubs until my question or problem has been answered, then move to the next one.

10. wellness5 profile image60
    wellness5posted 12 years ago

My hub was republished to-day, 8 days after it was submitted. My question is, why don't Hubpages tell the truth and say that hubs will take a week to be republished and stop deceiving people in saying that it takes 72 hours!

Robert

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It isn't about being deceptive. It used to take 24-48 hours to get answers. The overwhelming number of hubs being flagged nowadays, keep staff on backlog and running from behind most of the time. wink

1. wellness5 profile image60
        wellness5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, whatever you like to call it , they should just tell the truth and give a realistic estimate to reflect the present situation.

1. profile image0

Please link to or quote from the sources where you claim that HubPages has been telling people how long it will take to get assistance. For at least one year, I have been advising people that HubPages tries to respond within 3 business days, but sometimes it takes longer. I have done so based upon a single, casual forum post by staff, where they said that they try to respond within 3 business days. No promises were ever made, to the best of my knowledge.

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have the energy to chase down the post right now, but I saw a post yesterday (I believe by Jason?) which said that the response time was now under a week.

11. Sneha Sunny profile image86
    Sneha Sunnyposted 12 years ago

They usually respond in 48 to 72 hours. So you send an email to them again. Maybe they missed your email.

I did.  It didn't work.

12. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

i had a chat with simone yesterday, a very lovely lady.  We suggested a simple mechanism such as an auto reply that said - reply due in 24 hours or longer- they could change the time depending on staff availabilty ( holidays or illness often strike) or the number of e mails they were getting.
    I think Simone liked the idea but she is now on holiday and wont be back til next week, so maybe they will do something like that.
    Until then, patience is a virtue .............i know.....few of us possess it.

13. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years ago

Just to give a balanced view, I contacted Hp's about the accolades showing on my profile a week or so ago. They didn't respond to me but after about 3 days the issue was put right. It may be that as Marissa pointed out that they are incredibly busy and haven't got time to respond to everyone's email directly. I know it's slightly different when your hubs have been disabled and you can't see why and you need to speak to them.
    I said in another forum thread that an auto-mated reply service wouldn't go a miss while they are so busy. Something along the lines of.. Your email has been received we will reply as soon as possible.At least you know they have received it which is better than trying to second guess if they have.

14. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

In that case, they will be honor bound to respond within the self-imposed deadline.

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, if that's the case, why can't the hubber who has a problem still contact hp, get an auto reply so they know it's being dealt with, then unpublish the hub themselves before the deadline, while they await the answer to put things right. I am not sure about this but if a hub is unpublished would the deadline pass without being deleted?

1. profile image0

Such an auto-reply would be a major improvement from a user perspective. But it would mean the moderators no longer have at their discretion when to reply; so that would probably cost them some money.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image61
          CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, but it might, in the long run save time, for example double handling- there are more than one person doing moderations, therefore the original problem could be dealt with and then the "chase" e mail is picked up and checks made. Re work costs time and money ( on both sides). Simone said that in the region of 3,000 articles could fall under moderation in any one day and that moderators do discuss, do share and do ask for advice- this may account for some delays- perhaps waiting for someone else to come into the office. Also remember that people tend to forget the different time zone. If I send an e mail at 9am and expect an immediate response I am being a bit of a dimwit as they should all still be sleeping soundly. I still think an auto reply would at least confirm that it is in the system

Absolutely!   I think expecting an instant response is unreasonable - three or four days is perfectly acceptable - and I wouldn't mind if it was longer, in the current situation, just so long as I knew my question was in the queue.

That's why I agree, an auto-response would be a be a great idea..  Many Hubbers use free services like Yahoo! and hotmail and I suspect some of our emails get caught in HP's spam filters, which is why we don't get a response.   At least if we got an auto-response, we'd know our email had got through.

15. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 12 years ago

To answer the title question - yes, it is. I gave up on it. smile

16. sunforged profile image70

I believe if the issue held any  priority it would have been handled already.

Hubbers can brainstorm a thousand better systems but so could they - if they chose to they would have already.

Its not for lack of ideas nor is it a great technological feat to run a decent support ticket system - they have just chose to deprioritize Hubber concerns about length of time of response, act of unpublishing and gray guidelines.

Its probably just easier to get new writers then it is to deal with disgruntled old members.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)