Drop In Views Normal after a few weeks?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. toptengamer profile image87
    toptengamerposted 10 years ago

Hello Everyone.

I have a question that I'm hoping some of you with experience can help me with. Two weeks ago I built this new profile to cover a niche topic that I know quite a lot about and go along with my budding YouTube Channel.

I'm trying to create quality hubs focusing on 1300+ word articles with completely unique content. Even when I link to another hub I use unique sentences as to not copy anything from another page.

As such all of the hubs I've created in the last 2 weeks (21) are featured and I feel, are of value to the community that comes to read them.

Yesterday, I saw a steep decline in traffic to the tune of around 80%.

Is this normal for a new profile on HubPages? If so, then how long does it typically take to come out of it? It appears that traffic has pretty much disappeared from Google, so it's obvious that therein lies the culprit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

I had no idea that we could track views to our profile.  I thought views only pertained to our hubs.

toptengamerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not to the profile, to the hubs in general. Sorry for the confusion.

2. Tom London profile image41
      Tom Londonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually yes, I think we can track views to our profile. At least mine are being emailed to me by HubPages. Not sure where to find these statistics on the account though.

3. SagaSphere profile image64
    SagaSphereposted 10 years ago

We get an initial traffic spike due to the evaluation process. That dips, and it can take a few weeks and sometimes months for organic traffic to appear. (Google takes awhile to decently rank us on search results).  Pretty much, those initial 9-15 views you get over the first few days of a hubs life is superficial.

Sagasphere in the past 7 days I've received 1097 hits from google and in the last 24 hours 8 - so it's not from the Initial Spike.

4. SagaSphere profile image64
    SagaSphereposted 10 years ago

That makes it much more interesting, thank you. Next step is to see if 1) some one stole your content, 2) a spam page is linking to you lowering your authority, or 3) I don't know how you would investigate this, but you may be getting penalized by Google for using "best" and "2013" in every title. I really want to know what is going on, because this is something that could happen to us all. Keep us posted

5. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

Those do look like quality hubs and you have the 1000 views achievement in 2 weeks, be proud of yourself your doing good. I see you don't have much of a fan-base this increases your views because everytime they post a hub it will appear on there hubpages main-page for them to view it. Also when you first post a hub that is when you get your majority of views, then it is normal for the traffic to decrease and steady. Time and patience my friend.

6. toptengamer profile image87
    toptengamerposted 10 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I don't know exactly what's going on, but I've seen this on other sites and profiles and is probably a temporary penalty. Some people call it sandboxing; however, I've noticed on sites like HubPages that penalty isn't nearly as severe as on your on wordpress site, for example.

@SagaSphere - You are right on the title usage; however, I see a lot of highly reputable sites which do unique product reviews that use all titles like this without penalty. An Example would be toptenreviews.com. I know that Squidoo does a bit of a witch hunt on titles like this; however, in my opinion, it's all for naught. (I guess we'll see smile )

Hopefully in the next week or two I'll be out of whatever kind of penalty their enforcing.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This sounds to me like Google really did not like something you are doing.  The big clue is that your formerly visible searches are now nonexistent.  Have you claimed Google Authorship?  If not, you need to do this asap.  Let us know how it goes...this is clearly a very upsetting problem for you.

Interesting TimeTraveler2. I'm actually hoping that within a couple weeks this completely rebounds. I've had other profiles and sites that were able to do this in the past. Almost like a "you're going to fast for us and we don't trust you" punishment from Google. Yes, G+ authorship is verified.

1. charlie cheesman profile image81
          charlie cheesmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Toptengamer I have had the same happen to me yesterday been hit from google. Am getting blue arrows on all my hubs views down about 700 from two days ago not sure why?

7. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I am almost certain there has been a Google Panda update or perhaps just a 'flux'. I have a few subdomains, and some saw rises in traffic by as much as 50%, while others saw no change. (One had a one-day 80% reduction).
    The 'flux' lasted for 24 hours, and is still settling down.
    To those who have lost traffic, it will come back in the next few weeks. Just hang fire.

8. blueheron profile image92
    blueheronposted 10 years ago

I'm seeing a big drop just today. Usually it's up and down.

1. susi10 profile image96
      susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

So am I. Traffic had a huge surge yesterday, now its down again.

Ok, so now traffic is surging for this profile but has fallen for others. What is this weird pattern that's occurring? Is anyone, who has decent traffic numbers from Google, able to avoid this constant spike and fall?

1. SagaSphere profile image64
          SagaSphereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I never have 'drastic' changes, typically a pretty smooth sin curve not including Friday-Saturday reductions. Are you competing with yourself across each profile? perhaps you are exchanging positions, and currently topten profile is in the lead.

9. charlie cheesman profile image81
    charlie cheesmanposted 10 years ago

I had a three day drop on my hubs right down too 3 to 7 visits a day and all the hubs went too not in the top 100 in google search from mostly top 10 now today back to normal on all most all hubs and double red arrows. I have not got a clue why. I did make a  fairly big update to one of my hubs the day before the big drop but that's all I can think of why a sudden dislike to all my hubs from google.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)