Anybody else notice a big drop in views today?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (61 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

I'm guessing it's because school started this week, but today my page views have taken a drastic drop.  They have been cut by more than half...is this happening to anybody else?

1. Shanna11 profile image74
      Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine didn't drop that far, but they did drop by about a third. tongue

2. LauraGSpeaks profile image85
      LauraGSpeaksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my views are suddenly dropped by more than half today--no warning, no reason that I know of.  How do you know where to look to see what the problem is?

1. Rik Ravado profile image85
        Rik Ravadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was a Panda refresh Monday 20th:

http://searchengineland.com/google-pand … 9-1-131284

My traffic reduced to almost nothing yesterday but is now picking up again.  I find Panda sometimes produces a temporary traffic crash which quickly recovers again (rather than a more permenant traffic reduction ie a penalty).

Hope yours comes back too! smile

1. LauraGSpeaks profile image85

Thanks Rik.  That is very helpful.  I knew there had to be something.  I think that is it in my case, but I guess time will tell.  When Google punishes you- do you ever figure out why?

1. Judi Bee profile image90
            Judi Beeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never did work out why Laura - but my drop lasted around 5-6 weeks.  Drop and recovery coincided with Google algorithm changes.  I didn't do anything different, either before, during or after, so who knows?

It is really discouraging to see all those blue triangles......

2. Jay Rando profile image82
          Jay Randoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing Rik, i did not know much about panda etc. Seems 2 of my hubs were hit too.

3. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yes not much in a day anyway so now it's half of not much.

4. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No. What I have noticed since I swopped to the new profile is that there has been an increase in my vies - about 60. All of this comes from hubpages not from Google or other search engines.

2. Johnkadu123 profile image70
    Johnkadu123posted 11 years ago

I have also noticed some changes. Maybe it is something to do with yet another Google Panda update. If anyone knows how we can ensure that our traffic is high, please let me know as I would be interested in changing my working methods to keep up my rankings.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are correct.  I just discovered that Google rolled out another Panda update on Monday.

3. Paul Kuehn profile image93
    Paul Kuehnposted 11 years ago

My views took a big drop starting about one month ago.  At that time easily getting 300 views per day, but now I'm doing good if I get 200 views a day.  That's not very good for a total of 94 hubs!!  No strange drop in views today.

I have 97 hubs and was getting around 190 to 225 daily views.  On the 21st I got 95!  It was worse the day before.

Apparently a number of people are taking hits as there's another thread about this.

4. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

About a month ago, over a period of about a week, my views dropped drastically from over 500 views per day to below a hundred. My earnings too went down like the Titanic.

Then I read in a forum that summaries should not contain any phrases from the first paragraph or the conclusion, or any text copied from the Hub. So for the last few days I have been editing the summaries for every Hub (using my browser's search feature) to make them "uniquely worded", and also quite short, leaving at least 300 characters remaining. It's hard to keep the summaries short but very descriptive of the essence of each Hub.  Without considering any key words mentioned in title, description or conclusion I write fresh content for each summary answering the question: What is this Hub really about in under 200 characters?

And guess what? My views have picked up. Today they were back to over 350 a day. I am hoping that by the time I finish editing all the summaries my views will be back to normal.

It's lovely to see so many red triangles on my account's page. smile
    For a bl..dy change!

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You visiting all the Hubs that weren't getting traffic can trigger the red triangles. 

Also, all my summaries are original text, not copied from the Hub content (never have been) and I'm seeing traffic go down on things that still are holding a page one, 1-5 SERP slot on Google.

People are taking their last summer vacations, students are heading to school, things are going to bounce around a lot until we get past Labor Day.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hope you're right, relache.  I'm seeing a steady growth the last couple of weeks - if it really is vacation time I should see a nice big jump shortly.

1. relache profile image72

I just celebrated my ten year anniversary as a writer-editor over at BellaOnline (wow, yeah... A content site has survived that long!) and it's a pattern I've seen at the end of every summer since I started.  So I don't see why that would change all that drastically now...

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! Quite an achievement!

Hope you are right about the traffic as my most successful subdomain took a dive this week, but only back to where it was a couple of weeks ago - last week it saw a phenomenal rise, but that might have to do with a certain TV show in the US.

All except for one hub that is now seeing double figures instead of treble. According to Analytics it got over 600 unique views yesterday, yet my share is only about 80??

Another subdomain that has been hit before, took another hit - down to 4 Google views.

Somehow the overall loss of traffic seems worse than it really is, probably.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Relache:  I'm glad you posted this because this was my thinking, also.  However, there was a Panda update on Aug 20, so this may be affecting things as well.  I'd really like it better if it was the back to school thing, though...that's much easier to swallow!!

1. profile image0
          Bobbeachamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rather think it's Google's damn bear. Yahoo, Bing and HubPages views are consistent but Google.com, .ca and .co.uk have disappeared. Not a one. What's more, pages that were ranking on Monday have also disappeared from Google's index. Last time it took about six weeks to return to normal.

1. Melis Ann profile image83
            Melis Annposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes exactly. Google.com, uk, ca all zero. Me too. My pages are totally in the dark. My best hub getting steadily 80-100 views per day for months and zero now for several days. Not a normal fluctuation. If it comes back on its own great but it's concerning it seems to have disappeared.

1. IzzyM profile image87

One of my accounts has had the withdrawal Google love again, so I can sympathise. Actually this one lost it over a year ago and it has never returned.

But one of my other subdomains has lost its Google traffic according to HP, but it is still there according to Analytics.

This is really beginning to bug me now. I can see them getting loads of hits, but HP isn't registering them, and yes it has hit me in the pocket now.

I have emailed staff, and now we are into the weekend don't expect a reply before at least the middle of next week.

The hubs in question are still showing as being #1 or #2 on Google for their keywords too.

Help!

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, you're not getting conflicting views due to slide show views, are you?  HP separates them out, but unless you instruct analytics to do so they get included in a particular hub (depending on what kind of search you use).

1. IzzyM profile image87

No, the slide views are reported separately. If I'd added them there would be hundreds more hits.

Just yesterday I added those hubs as channels in Adsense, and yes they are getting way more hits than HP is reporting.

So I just took HP ads off, and I am seeing Google clicks!!

That kinda surprised me, because the ads are terrible.

I also emailed team yesterday, but don't expect a reply this week, and I've already had 4/5 days of reduced views and earnings from them. I didn't think earnings were affected at first, but they are sad

3. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also have seen a decrease in traffic though the hubs are still holding the same spot in the search engines.  I assumed the same thing, internet traffic overall is lower.

5. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

I'm a newbie with only 32 hubs, but did notice a slight drop in the last two days.  Interesting how traffic flows, but it does make sense. smile

6. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

My traffic (which has never been anything to really brag about) is actually on the up swing this week. I'm not sure why but I'm certainly not complaining.

7. shuck72 profile image79
    shuck72posted 11 years ago

I have gone from 600-1000 views a day down to 250 a day.  Biggest drop I have seen since being here. 

Also my hubs are now buried when I search on google. 

Discouraging and frustrating.  I am hoping traffic will bounce back soon.

8. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 11 years ago

My traffic has bounced right back from 20% of normal back to more or less 'normal' in 24 hours.  Some hubs now have much more traffic and some less but overall I don't think I've lost out.  Overall my traffic level is now more or less stable, ie no major increases or decreases between stat updates.

Mine started back up yesterday...hope it continues!

9. Melis Ann profile image83
    Melis Annposted 11 years ago

I've been posting in the other forum about the traffic sources glitch because at the same time my traffic dropped my sources page went into the negatives. My traffic dropped off 3 days ago to about 5% of what it was. My hubs are in the dark on google. Even though they are indexed and no warnings on webmaster tools, my hubs have zero traffic from google still today. I can't find them when searching my hub title or first paragraph. I can only see them in google if I use the hub URL or my profile URL. They are all there but somehow not searchable. I guess there was a panda update, but for every other update I rode it out without a glitch. Glad to see some traffic is returning to others so maybe there is hope.

I have exactly the same scenario.  My traffic nosed dived three days ago and all I have is blue triangles with no explanation other than the recent Panda update, (there is a link to learn more about it earlier in the thread).  I have never had this happen before.

It's definitely weird that I can put my hub title into google and NOT have my hub show up, but I can enter the URL into google and there it is. To me this doesn't seem to be related to a low page rank, it's just not there. Not 1 person has found my hub on google in days.

Hmm.  That does seem strange.  I can find my hubs, they are just pages back from where they were.  I too have several hubs that have had no google traffic in days.

2. 2besure profile image80
          2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean they have de-indexed some of our hub?

I would actually like to know the best way to check indexing/ranking of each hub? My hubs are still indexed supposedly.

10. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

From 1:00 PM on, HP time, my traffic has done a major crash and burn. I sooo love Fridays... big_smile

11. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Up, Down, Up, Down.  It's like doing continuous squats.  Sometimes, there's no getting back up for days!  LOL!  The bad news?  I'm getting used to it!

12. Sunnyglitter profile image82
    Sunnyglitterposted 11 years ago

Yeah, I only had like 40 views today.  Not 40 per hub, 40 total.  I was not happy.

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

You have too take a real long term view on your traffic. I mean 12 months at a time long term view.
    Your traffic for your hubs will always ebb down and flow up constantly over a year. Also depending on the type of niche hubs you have, you may find the traffic on them spikes up dramatically or down. These reasons are;

Holidays
    Start of seasons (people are outdoors more in summer, more indoors in winter)
    School & College terms
    Search engine updates (everyday, every week, every month)
    Trends for certain topics
    Evergreen topics really have a life of 3-5 years (ie. if you don't update your hub in that time)
    Other reasons that don't pop into mind for now.

A good philosophy to have using HubPages or any similar writing endeavor is life being a captain on a ship, ask for calm weather, yet always expect to ride out storms.

I've definitely gotten used to the ups and downs on a normal basis. Just concerned that I can't even find my own hubs in Google. Zero is a bit different than 100-200 hits per day.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google likes to continually 'dance' with search results on a regular basis. Give it another try come Monday or Tuesday and see what happens.

I myself often see traffic and views disappear for two weeks for some hubs and then come back.

14. paradigmsearch profile image59

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6204124_f1024.jpg
    So far, so good...big_smile

Wow! What a pic!

15. sabrebIade profile image78
    sabrebIadeposted 11 years ago

Yesterday was my lowest traffic day since 2007.
    I'm just about to let my HubPages run on autopilot and see how hard they crash into the ground.
    I mean seriously...in 2010-2011 I was getting 10,000 to 14,000 hits a day and now I am struggling for 1000?
    Really what is the point?

1. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wish i had 1K a day sad

2. Melis Ann profile image83

great example sabreblade. you obviously draw a lot of visitors and wouldn't without quality content so the fact that you've been hit this hard is wrong.

3. theherbivorehippi profile image66
      theherbivorehippiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I feel your pain. This profile tanked about 2 weeks ago (not for the first time, but it's the worst dip I've experienced). Today is my lowest traffic day ever.

4. relache profile image72

According to Quantcast, HubPages traffic took a 15% dive yesterday.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Let us sincerely hope that was a singularity and not a prelude.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
          PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is my worst Saturday for some time in terms of traffic.

16. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

1K a day? Shoot, I do a little happy dance if I get 200 a day.

17. sabrebIade profile image78
    sabrebIadeposted 11 years ago

I know and I would dearly LOVE for all my fellow Hubbers to get 1000+ hits a day...I really would.
    But you see what I mean about dropping from 14,000 to 1,000 right?
    Were I getting 1000 back then...I would have nothing now.

18. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I saw an increase in google traffic this past week, and yesterday was surprisingly decent for a Friday.   I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I noticed my subdomain PR went up a notch in early Aug., and I updated to the new profile last weekend.

19. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 11 years ago

Melis Ann - Read the section titled "Initial Test for a Penalty" in this article:  http://www.ksl-consulting.co.uk/google_penalty.html   Even though it's old, it's written in fairly simple terms and it may help to explain what you are experiencing.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent link!

2. Melis Ann profile image83

Thanks for that link! I've actually been to webmaster tools and no penalties are present and it lists my site as indexed.

Thank you lrohner for attaching the link:
        http://www.ksl-consulting.co.uk/google_penalty.html.  I checked this out and strangely enough, several warning links come up to hubs that I never commented on, such as http://cocopreme.hubpages.com/hub/cocktail-drink-ideas.  There is another link to some calendar that I have no idea how it is related to me as a hubber or my hubs.  These are just two of five questionable links associated with my domain.  Any ideas of how to get rid of them? 

For two weeks now my traffic is non existent.  I fell from nearly 200 views a day to 21.

I will check that out as well. My drop is consistent with yours Laura and still down.

20. paradigmsearch profile image59

TRAFFIC UP!!!

I don't know why.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)