Need Support

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

I finally gave in and decided to try to write my first novel. Any encouragement and advice from other fiction writers would be greatly appreciated!

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am not a published book writer, however I will offer you good and sincere wishes in this new endeavor. smile

1. profile image0
        LisaKeatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

2. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Everyone uses different techniques. I'll make a couple of suggestions and you can choose whether or not to use them.

1. Create at least a basic outline for your story so you can keep on track with the timeline and plot elements. I usually write one or two simple sentences stating what will happen in each chapter. If you use an outline, don't feel as if you have to stick to it exactly as written. Sometimes a better idea will pop into your head.
      2. Write down the main details about each of the characters. It's important to remember the physical descriptions so you don't say someone has red hair in one chapter and black in the next.

When it comes to actually writing the book, I think the best advice is to never give up. There will be some people who find out you're writing a novel and they'll tell you things like you're wasting your time. Naysayers abound and many would be authors have given up because of them. Don't give in to those people.

As a word of encouragement, I'll tell you I know you can do it. If someone like me who always hated to write anything before I started my first novel can end up having several novels published, anyone can do it. If you have any questions about writing or if you decide to self-publish and need some help, feel free to visit my profile and send me an email.

1. profile image0

That's great advice. I've been reading so many articles about how to structure a novel that my head is spinning. I try to write an outline but keep coming up with different ideas. I guess it's more of an organic process.

1. profile image0

When it comes to the structure of your novel, reading articles and books about how to write will only take you so far. What I've discovered is that what works for other people - maybe even the majority of people - doesn't work for everyone. That's why I gave my suggestions based on what works for me but said you'd have to decide what to use. My techniques seem unusual when I compare the way I do things to the way other writers create their stories.

That said, here's a suggestion if you have what you think are too many ideas in your outline. Write down every idea you have. Once that's done, go back and pick one idea from each chapter, making sure they form a sensible plot. Use those to create your story, but don't throw away the other ideas. You can always use those other ideas for future novels.

3. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Best wishes, Lisa.
      I pray that you will stick to your plans and do not give up. You have more faith and nerve than I ever would. I have had, over the years, two writing partners who loved the idea of us writng a book and we would start good, but then for some reason, they found out that there was work to it and quit.
      The only advice I can give is that only write on days and times when your heart and head is into it.
      Do NOT force the creation. Let it come.
      And have fun with your writing. After all, it is fiction.

1. profile image0

Great advice about not forcing it! I think that's the worse thing anyone could ever do.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
          kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@ sheilamyers,
          "Thanks for your agreeing."

2. profile image0

I'm trying to juggle some other side work, and I'm afraid I'll keep putting writing on the back burner. I feel like I need a schedule.

2. CuAllaidh profile image79
    CuAllaidhposted 9 years ago

I have written a few fiction stories, had some published, never a novel. Currently working on a non-fiction history book about sports and games in medieval Europe. It's fun, challenging, and mind expanding.

In addition to my writing experience I ran a small press book publishing company (more like an authors co-operative press) so I know a little bit about the publishing side of things. The biggest piece of advice I can give is do not, under any circumstances, pay to have your book published, any publisher who is seeking payment for publishing services is scamming you, they should make money off your book sales not off you directly, if they make money off you directly they will have no interest in selling your book. Even self published POD (Print on Demand) books you generally don't pay for the publishing service itself (unless you go full self published).

1. profile image0

Awesome advice about never paying anyone to publish the book.

2. profile image0

Good advice. With ebooks, I can't imagine anyone would still pay to have a book published.

1. CuAllaidh profile image79
        CuAllaidhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It always surprises me the number of "publishing houses" out there that still get away with charging authors. I never understood why people fell for them. I mean I know it's not cheap to get a book to print ready format (decently), but with the mark up on some books the publishing houses should be able to make up the investment easy enough. Even the smallest of publishing houses, my company was myself and a few writer friends turned editors, we edited the books, did our own in house graphics and I did the typesetting myself, all the editors worked for commission it was a good deal for everyone, though sales were too low and turn around to slow to maintain it, had I had twice as many editors and a better grasp of the sales end we could have survived.

As for further writing advice, make sure you set aside some time each day (this is always my downfall, and why I am over a year late on getting the book I am working on out) and write. And don't worry allowing the story to deviate from your outline, allow the story to grow organically if that is how you write. I have tried outlines, but they never work for me, the characters determine their own fate in my stories, I can't keep them on script.

1. profile image0

Thanks Cu. Now that I have started the process, I see how vital a good editor is.

3. Teeuwynn Woodruff profile image92
    Teeuwynn Woodruffposted 9 years ago

I have published short stories, but not a novel. One thing that trips me up, personally, is perfectionism. So keep writing every day/week even if you're worried you don't have things just right yet. Just getting words on the page really helps.

Good luck!

1. profile image0

Thanks! I could see that happening with me as well.

4. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

UPDATE: After much studying and reading and listening to podcasts and outlining and hemming and hawing; I am 12,000 words into my first draft.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)