jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Incoming Links Query

1. Dougalbunny profile image92
    Dougalbunnyposted 2 years ago

I was checking out whether I had accumulated any backlinks to my subdomain via the majestic website. Now there aren't a great deal of websites at all but quite a few of the sites on there seem to be dummy sites filled with gobbledygook. Can anyone tell me what purpose such sites serve?

1. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Could be referrer spam. This is when a site sends traffic to your site so that you will see their links in your stats and go to their site to give them traffic. Or if your stats are published publicly, you'll be giving them backlinks.

1. Dougalbunny profile image92
        Dougalbunnyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Cool, thanks for that.
        Is that what referrer spam is then? Websites that seem like real sites but have gibberish, nonsensical sentences.
        Do you know if you would you get penalized for this in search terms or is it irrelevant?

1. NateB11 profile image93
          NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't think it has an effect on your rank in the search engine. It's just a way to try to get traffic to a site. A lot of people try to filter it from their stats because it makes stats a bit harder to read if you have useless traffic from referrer spam.

working