jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Using citing and information sources

1. TomaGerdzhikov profile image60
    TomaGerdzhikovposted 16 months ago

I have 2 questions on the matter. Firstly is it ok for me to quote from textbooks or scientific books and if so how do i do it properly (how to give credit the proper way) ? And my second question is more of a request. I know it is ok to use wikipedia but can anyone recommend other decent information related websites i can use as a reference for my articles? Any help for this newbie is greatly appreciated. smile

1. Writer Fox profile image81
      Writer Foxposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Here's a forum post about citing references:

2. Au fait profile image95
      Au faitposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I wrote an article explaining about how to judge sources:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Evaluating-Your … nformation
      It's an Editor's Choice hub if that means anything to you.

I all but always write articles that require references.  I used to do it according to MLA requirements as I did in my research papers at university, but I've relaxed a little.  The important thing is to give proper credit to the person you're sourcing.  There are lots of ways to do that.  In the text itself or as part of a list of references at the end of your article.  If you read pretty much any of my articles there will be credits given in them and you can see how I did it.

Mainly you need to give credit where it's due and write so that ordinary people can understand what you're writing about -- about a 5th grade level.  If you write it literally like a research paper a lot of people will not want to read it.  Not many nerds come to these pages.  Not enough to make an article successful anyway.  So don't get too technical.

2. TomaGerdzhikov profile image60
    TomaGerdzhikovposted 16 months ago

Thank you both for the good info