Newbie to image attribution

1. candyhippie profile image79
    candyhippieposted 8 months ago

I have looked at the image attribution guide ( but I'm not sure I understand it all.

For my first hub I used all my own images, but my next hub is about visionary art. I expect I'll have to contact a lot of artists via email to ask permission to use their art in thumbnail-size with a link back.

I don't expect licensing to really be involved for these thumbnails, but am I misunderstanding what a license actually is? Would an email with permission from the artist constitue a license? I assume this one: "Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY-NC-ND".

Or is a simple link back to the source accompanied by "used with permission" sufficient?

Or do I have a strong enough case for fair use to not bother contacting everyone? While I will have a few ads, my goal is to educate, and all thumbnails will be accompanied by a link back to the artist's website, where they sell their art.

Maybe I should just make the hub with the thumbnails, then email the finished hub to the artists so they can opt out if they want?

Agh I dunno!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Along with Ron's comment, I'd like to add that if it is a non-commercial licence (like the one you used as an example) you may not use the image on HubPages because you are earning from your article, which is considered commercial use.

To use any image by an artist that is not in the public domain you will either need to make sure the image is under a licence that allows sharing with attribution (like any Creative Commons licence that doesn't prohibit commercial use) and that you are attributing the image in the way the owner requests, OR you will need to ask permission of the copyright holder.

You may always freely use your own photos either with attribution or without (whatever you prefer).

2. RonElFran profile image98
    RonElFranposted 8 months ago

I have a number of "used with permission" attributions, and they are no problem at all. Some of the owners do ask for a link back to their site. Other times, as, for example, when a family allowed me to use a photo of their loved one, only the "with permission" attribution was needed.

When a copyright owner gives me permission, I do make sure to keep the email in case a question should ever arise. So far, none has.