jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Groups Vs Linking

1. Whitney05 profile image69
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

If you use HP groups, should you still link hubs within a series? Or just rely on the groups? Should you do both? Neither?

Is one more preferred over the other? Is one better than the other?

I'm just trying to figure out if I want to link a series of like 20+ or just use groups, or both. It's a matter of on the last hubs having to go and make sure that all are included? Or in this case, do you just link the most closely related hubs within the series?

2. 0
    Janettaposted 6 years ago

I use both. I like the group feature, but it only links to one or two hubs. with the link feature, I can pick which ones will be listed and use more than two. And, sometimes, there's a hub I feel is relevant to the topic, but perhaps falls within a different group and wouldn't be linked otherwise. So..I use both smile

3. Whitney05 profile image69
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

Gotcha... It's just a pain when you have a series of say 25 having to link them all manually and remembering to go back to the first handful and add links to the last handful. I mean I'm only on 5 right now, and I almost forgot.

Anyone else have their opinion. I'm still debating here.

4. 1974 profile image61
    1974posted 6 years ago

I do both on occasion.  You just never know what link the group will decide to put at the end of your Hub so using the link capsule is a good idea as well.

What I really want is a link capsule I can copy from one hub to the other smile

1. Whitney05 profile image69
      Whitney05posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Me too... The search feature works great, but you have to manually add your tracker, which sucks.

1. gramarye profile image61
        gramaryeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm fairly new here and trying to learn the ropes. What do you mean by "manually add your tracker"? I probably need this in fairly simple terms, but would be very glad of an explanation.

2. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It may be possible to create an RSS feed related to a keyword search specific to a user(i saw a guide somewhere that showed you how to do this)You can then automaticaly insert your tracker via Yahoo Pipes (I have written a guide on how to do this!)

5. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

Like Janetta, I use both. But it's time consuming, as you say. My pregnancy hubs are possibly still not all connected. I can't tell you how much time I've spent, laboriously copying URLs across to each hub.

The links added to the hubs appears to work better than the groups link at the foot. I suppose readers have a choice of more than two.

6. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 6 years ago

Whitney, your question leads me to another question....
    Is it okay to link (as in using the link module) to all your Hubs on the same subject?
    Or is that considered over promotional?

Say I have 10 Hubs on widgets, and I make a link module and link to all of them.
    That is linking more than twice to the same domain in one Hub (although it is Hub Pages I am linking to).
    I usually just throw up one link, to kinda keep the ball rolling.

I always assumed that the not linking to the same domain twice in a Hub applied to HP as well.

7. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Yep, I use both!

8. getitall profile image60
    getitallposted 6 years ago

Sorry, I am an idiot... LOL  But can anybody please explain where the grouping feature even is, and what are the benefits of using it (any for google?)?

1. gramarye profile image61
      gramaryeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When you are in "My Account" one of the menu options is groups. Click on that, and you can cluster your hubs under groups that you decide.