I'm Taking the Challenge

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (51 posts)
  1. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 14 years ago

I've been here only a month and a half, but I am comfortable writing everyday. I've blogged for a while and written a 180k novel in 90 days so I believe I can do it. I have 24 hubs under my belt and have started to use links and SEO research in my hubs.

Since I am a tax guy, I will focus on tax issues and issues pertaining to tax professionals, as long as SEO research says it is worth my time.

I will update this post every day over the next month to give a progress report.

Here are my current stats: Amazon income: zip; Google AdSense: under 6 bucks. Traffic: under 100 most days.

To date, my best performing hub is Predictions 2010. It made no money, but people loved it over the holidays. My goal is to make money off increased traffic.

Day 1 Progress

I published two hubs this afternoon. I will continue to publish heavy on the weekend and light during the week. Visit my profile to check out the new hubs as they post.

KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Day 1

3 hubs published:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-CPE-Credit-An-Unsung-Hero

http://hubpages.com/hub/CPE-Credits-That-Pay-You

http://hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-the-Be … x-Attorney

Stats:

Adsense and Amazon produced nothing with unique 32 visitors for the day.

Nothing unusual for a first day. Weekends will be my productive time. I'm shooting for 3 more today.

2. bojanglesk8 profile image61
      bojanglesk8posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can do it!

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

This is a great time to be writing tax related hubs. I just get depressed when I do my taxes because of the taxes pad. But paying them quarterly does take the sting out a bit. At least I never get too used to thinking "It's all mine," because I have a separate tax money savings account.

I work with a great CPA, so I know I'm taking every deduction legally possible. Sorry about the rambling.

This is a great niche.

Thank you for the encouragement, Nelle. You are one of the hubbers I look up to. SEO research says most tax subject will not work, but continuing ed for tax pros does. I have a list of hubs I need to write that SEO research says will make me a dime or three. Look for hubs on taxes, lawyers, and hubs for the disabled.

I'll keep everyone informed.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
        Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keith, sometimes the SEO research is wrong. I have two good friends on here who have written several hubs where Google's data shows nearly zero searches for the exact terms.  Well, many of those hubs are getting 50 hits per day and their overall adsense earnings from HubPages exceeded $1000 last month.  When I asked them why that is, they said they don't know exactly, but sometimes it's better to go with your gut on what you know should work.

I believe your tax hubs should do really well. One adsense trick that I have seen be very lucrative is to focus on local areas. You will find that many of the higher paying clicks are bid on by advertisers wanting local views. So, tax issues and tax attorneys with a state or city named should bring some good clicks.

Good luck on your Challenge! I am a little mired in the mud at the moment, but I am getting it together on my January Challenge. Unexpected out of town visitors staying for a week can make it hard to sit down and write!

Thanks for the info, Jeffrey. You are the best. The hubber community really rallies behind the committed.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Good luck, I took part in one 30 day challenge and found it a great learning experience.

4. chinweike profile image59
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

I am participating in the hubchallenge but, so far have not seen any improvement but am not going to give up so soon as am barely new in this community

5. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

The 30 day challenges are a great way to boost your skills, confidence and exposure.  Things do begin to take off. 

Chinweike, keep writing.  It's too soon for you to expect to see the results.  Give it time.  Just keep writing.

I agree with Jeffrey about not worrying too much about the SEO research.  My best earning hubs and best traffic hubs don't show up well in the SEO stats, but I'm laughing all the way to the bank.  The hubs where I did all the research sit there with few hits and no money.  The way I see it, do a little of both and you can't go wrong.

Good luck to you all.

6. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

Good luck.

7. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

You might want to post the links in this thread as these might get snipped being that we are not supposed to self-promote.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18049

Great going on taking the challenge. I've done two of the monthly ones and started on a goal for this year. Seems the monthly ones get more going for you but then again I'm way behind on this one already.

8. KeithTax profile image73

Here is my diary of the 30 in 30 challenge.

Day 1

3 hubs published.

Day 2

3 new hubs published
    6 total hubs for 30 in 30 challenge
    30 hubs published all-time

Visitors: 39

No revenue from Adsense or Amazon.

1. ShivParvathi profile image61
      ShivParvathiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good luck buddy,
      Concentrate on Quality than Quantity.

Same new as you, but not active as you friend.

2. KeithTax profile image73

Day 3

I spend the little time I had for hub linking. I also hace 7 additional hubs ready for production.

Visitors: 68 Unique Visitors: 55

Adsense TOS require I be vague, so: I had activity today. less than a dollar.

Amazon hasn't had click so far.

Day 4

I am working on a hub that is taking more research time than originally expected.

6 hubs completed so far in the 30 in 30 challenge.

Stats:

Visitors: 43 Unique: 32

Revenue: Nothing today.

Day 5

I published a long hub and it is midweek. I have 7 done, 23 to go.

Stats: Visitors: 32 Unique: 24

I made money today!!! Under a dollar, but better than a kick in the pants. Adsense delivered, Amazon zip.

Day 6

I added hub #8 in my 30 in 30 challenge today. I also spent time researching keywords. I have a few ideas which I find very interesting. The hubs will be fun to write.

Stats: Visitors: 58 Unique: 45

Money: Amazon: 0 Adsense: Yes, under a dollar, but two days in a row I managed something. This is a good sign. See you tomorrow.

Here is my diary of the 30 in 30 challenge.

Day 1

3 hubs published.

Day 2

3 new hubs published
              6 total hubs for 30 in 30 challenge
              30 hubs published all-time

Visitors: 39

No revenue from Adsense or Amazon.

Day 3

I spend the little time I had for hub linking. I also have 7 additional hubs ready for production.

Visitors: 68 Unique Visitors: 55

Adsense TOS require I be vague, so: I had activity today. less than a dollar.

Amazon hasn't had click so far.

Day 4

I am working on a hub that is taking more research time than originally expected.

6 hubs completed so far in the 30 in 30 challenge.

Stats:

Visitors: 43 Unique: 32

Revenue: Nothing today.

Day 5

I published a long hub and it is midweek. I have 7 done, 23 to go.

Stats: Visitors: 32 Unique: 24

I made money today!!! Under a dollar, but better than a kick in the pants. Adsense delivered, Amazon zip.

Day 6

I added hub #8 in my 30 in 30 challenge today. I also spent time researching keywords. I have a few ideas which I find very interesting. The hubs will be fun to write.

Stats: Visitors: 58 Unique: 45

Money: Amazon: 0 Adsense: Yes, under a dollar, but two days in a row I managed something. This is a good sign. See you tomorrow.

Day 7

Stats: Visitors: 37 Unique 27

Money: $0

I noticed my traffic increases Sunday night into Monday and declines the rest of the week. I would be interested if other folks experience the same trend. Friday and Saturday tend to be slow traffic days.

Day 8

Stats: Visitors: 34 Unique: 27

Money: Adsense is $0 for yesterday, but his morning has activity; over a dollar so far. Amazon had several clicks, but no order items.

3 new hubs published today for a total of 11 in the 30-30 challenge.

9. KeithTax profile image73

Day 9

Published 3 more hubs.  Total of 12 for the 30-30 challenge.

Stats: Visitors: 57  Unique: 44

Money: Made over a dollar on Adsense. Up to abou $8 now. Made a few pennies with Kontera.

10. KeithTax profile image73

Day 10

I have 12 total hubs done in the challenge.

Stats: Visitors: 45 Unique: 38

Money: Adsense: Over $2.50-my best day ever. Total to date with Adsense: Over $10

Amazon: Zip Kontera: Zip

Online tax filing affilliate: 3 sign ups, no revenue yet.

I will try to fit a couple hubs in during the week, but a heavy work schedule will hold me back. I'll hit it hard on the weekend.

Talk with you tomorrow.

11. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

29 Hubs done.....one more to go

I am glad you didn't chicken out.

12. KeithTax profile image73

Day10

Published another hub. Fifteen done in the challenge. I missed a few hubs in earlier posts.

Stats: Visitors: 60 Unique: 51

Money: Adsense and Kontera deliver a very small amount. Nothing elsewhere.

Thanks for the comment, Azizzii.

Day 11

15 hubs completed in the 30 in 30 challenge so far.

Visitors: 50 Unique: 40 (No, I did not round numbers.)

Money: Adsense: 0 Kontera: .18

I took Kontera out of a few hubs as I think they are robbing Adsense. Adsense pays more. Also, Kontera is delivering most revenue from my blog.

2. KeithTax profile image73

Boy, am I screwing up. I had two day 10s.

Day 13

Working ungodly hours at the office. Still committed to finishing 30 in 30 days. I have 4 hubs in the works. Should get 6 out over the weekend.

Stats: Visitors: 40  Unique: 33

Money: Zip on all fronts.

3. KeithTax profile image73

Day 14

This morning has been interesting. I received an email purporting to come from HP, but the header says the sender is "B,T. Evilpants." I hate spam. Of course, I will not click any of the links. Anyway...

Traffic is down as we head into the weekend.

Stats: Visitors: 37 Unique: 31

Adsense and Amazon are zippo. Kontera is going up by less than a dollar a day.

4. KeithTax profile image73

I need to redact part of the above post. I did a search in HP on "Evilpants." It seems this is a real person that has a Top 10 list of hubs he asks people to vote on. My Zig Ziglar Scam hub made his list.

You can read the selection of hubs he likes at:

http://hubpages.com/hub/10-New-Authors- … nd-Fortune

My hub is at the top of the list.

5. KeithTax profile image73

Day 15

What a day! I got nominated for the HubNugget contest for my Zig Ziglar Scam hub. Other personal matters prevented me from publishing hubs this weekend so far. I hope to get a few out today, but I have to go to work and the furnace in my home is being repaired, so I don't know how much I'll get done.

Stats: Visitors: 71 Unique: 68

Money: Kontera is the only revenue for today at 18 cents.

Fingers crossed, I hope to get a few tax related hubs published tonight.

6. KeithTax profile image73

Day 16

Published 3 hubs today. 18 hubs completed in my 30 in 30 challenge.

Stats: Visitors: 74 Unique: 65

Money: Adsense and Kontera both contributed to my future. I am over $11 at Adsense.

Amazon delivered $1.12, too. Overall, a good day. I need it to pay for my furnace.

7. KeithTax profile image73

Day 17

Stats: Visitors: 81 Unique: 73

Money: Adsense: over a dollar.

The search engines have been sending me an increasing amount of traffic. That has got to be good.

8. KeithTax profile image73

Day 18

Published hub 19 in the 30 in 30 challenge. Every remaining hub in the challenge has been mapped. Now I need to write them after 16 hours at the office. I'll get it done. Expect more hubs on space heaters and tax issues, including the tax deductible Roth IRS and how to get an extention to pay, not just file, your taxes.

Stats: Visitors: 83 Unique: 76

There is a steady climb in traffic as some of my hubs made the first page in Google searches. SEO research is paying off.

Money: Adsense: $2.75 Kontera: $.14 Amazon: zip

These are the best Adsense numbers to date. Growing traffic, SEO research, and more hubs is leading to more money. I am around $15 for Adsense. With additional hubs I hope to break the $100 mark before tax season is over. Then Google can send me a check in May.

9. KeithTax profile image73

Day 19

Published another hub. Twenty hubs done in the challenge.

Stats: Visitors: 73 Unique: 65

Money: Adsense over a dollar on multiple clicks.

I already have a few pennies today.

10. KeithTax profile image73

Day 20

I have been on HP for less than three months and I have been plagiarized. I found parts of my hub on tax software copied word for word. Now I have work protecting my property. I should be flattered someone thought my work was good enough to steal, but I am not.

Visitors: 68 Unique: 63

Money: Adsense had a couple of very small clicks. Made less than a quarter. Beats a poke in the eye, however.

I am ready for the weekend. I have several hubs nearly ready for publication. I should make 30 hubs in 30 days, even working very long days.

By the end of 2010, I want to have 200 hubs published. I think I'll get ahead of this goal, too, and I'll have to up it, but 200 hubs by December 31, 2010 is my next goal.

11. KeithTax profile image73

Day 21

I am ready for the weekend with extra time to write. I plan on publishing 6 hubs this weekend.

Stats: Visitors: 40 Unique: 36

The weekend traffic slowdown is on.

Money: Weekend traffic leads to reduced income. Kontera added pennies to my pile. Everything else had zero results.

New hubs and Monday's traffic boost should jump start things again. Before the challenge, weekend traffic lows would dip to 10 or 15, so traffic is improving.

12. KeithTax profile image73

Day 22

Let me start by saying I am very excited. I published one hub yesterday so I have my work cut out for me (21 done). I have a good excuse: I joined the Keyword Academy. I spent about 6 hours watching video and learning things that will have an instant impact.

I have several hubs in progress I will finish and publish, but after that all hubs will have real SEO research. I love the idea of knowing a rough idea of what a hub will earn a month. After experimenting, several ideas did not pan out, but I got several additional ideas worth pursuing.

Stats: Visitors: 49 Unique: 53

Money: Adsense raked in a dime; no more.

13. KeithTax profile image73

Day 23

Published hub 22 and 23 in this challenge yesterday. Reviewed more material at the Keyword Academy and researched for new hubs. I want hubs that produce so research is important to me. Also did some linking over the past few days. It shows in my stats. The weekend slowdown was muted this weekend.

Vistitors: 83 Unique: 74 (My biggest traffic day so far.)

Money: I haven't checked Amazon or Kontera. Adsense was small, but another link that leads to affiliate income produced. I think checking income is best done weekly. This checking daily seems like a waste of time. When checking income results it is a good time to check Google Analytics to improve current hubs and work ideas for future hubs.

When I complete this challenge I will write a hub on what I learned. The 30 hubs in 30 days challenge is not about pumping out 30 hubs. It is about learning. This challenge is a learning tool that builds results. It forces the self-challenged to stretch more than ever. The next 30 hubs I publish will yield more than the last due to my increased skills in SEO research and appropriate backlinking. See you tommorrow.

14. KeithTax profile image73

Day 24

Visitors: 76 Unique: 74

Money: Half a dollar at Adsense; I have not checked other affiliates.

15. kevin1877uk profile image59
      kevin1877ukposted 14 years ago

hiya Keith,

That’s so true there is so much to learn from being on here. I did 100 hubs in 30 days when I first came here and I learn so much. I don't really have time at the moment to write as much as I did. Soon as the London Marathon is over and out the way I will go back to writing more. Stick with it you'll learn so much from it

all the best with your future Hubs

16. KeithTax profile image73

Day 25

Visitors: 71 Unique: 70

Money: Adsense: a dollar Amazon: $1.62 Kontera: a few pennies

17. KeithTax profile image73

Day 26

Published hub 24 http://hubpages.com/hub/BBQ-Smoker-Buyers-Guide

Stats: Visitors: 61 Unique: 56

Money: Made money on Adsense; have not checked the others.

The remaining 6 hubs of this challenge are partially written. I should make the 30 in 30 goal on time.

I will publish a hub on what I learned during my first challenge. There are several important points beginners will find valuable. It has been fun.

18. KeithTax profile image73

Day 27

Working on a long hub involving online writing, HubPages and taxes. I plan on finishing this hub today. The remaining 4 hubs in the challenge will publish Saturday and Sunday, followed by a hub on what I learned in my first 30 in 30 challenge.

Stats: Vistors: 74 Unique: 70

Money: Adsense $1.67; Amazon: Zip; Kontera: pennies.

19. KeithTax profile image73

Day 28

I published hub 25 today, my longest to date and a must-read for every hubber.

Online Writing, HubPages and Taxes

Stats: Visitors: 66 Unique: 61

Did not check the money stuff yet. Want to finish the last five hubs today and tomorrow, plus a hub on what I learned in this challenge.

20. KeithTax profile image73

Day 29

I am heading into the last day. I published hub 26 and 27 today.

Choosing the Best Coffee Franchise

Kona Coffee: The Drink of Heaven

I need to finish plugging hub 28 into HP from my word processor. Hub 29 and 30 are mapped and should publish this afternoon.

If time permits tonight, I will publish a hub on what I learned during the challenge. If it gets too late, I'll publish it sometime next week.

Stats: Visitors:75 Unique 68

Money: AdSense and Kontera each delivered under a dollar. Have not checked Amazon.

1. whcobb profile image85
        whcobbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great job taking and pretty much completing the challenge. Also, thanks for answering my tax question... You are a Godsend... Have a great day and good luck with your hubage/Adsense/Kontera/Amazon endeavors.

William Cobb
        <snipped links - no sigs please>

"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?"

21. KeithTax profile image73

I did it! I  DID it! I DID IT! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

30 hubs published in 30 days. I focused on coffee hubs these last few days since coffee has been so much a part of my life during tax season. Here are the last three and I have a few hours to spare.

Gourmet Coffee for Less

Choosing the Best Coffee Machine

The Best Coffee Machines for Less

I will provide stats and a follow-up hub on what I learned in the challenge.

Thanks for the support, follows, and comments, folks.

22. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Congrats KeithTax!

23. Karina S. profile image59
      Karina S.posted 14 years ago

Congratulations, Keith!

24. KeithTax profile image73

I'll add a stats update in a week or so. That should be more valuable to folks looking for ideas and trends, as it will allow all hubs published during the challenge a chance to get a little traffic.

25. KeithTax profile image73

Time for an update.

My hub challenge ended about 10 days ago. Tax work keeps me busy now, but I did publish a hub today:

10 Things I Learned in the 30 Hubs Challenge

Stats:

My traffic continues to grow and had my best days ever. I need to figure out how to insert my stats chart.

I make money on Google every day now.

Organic links are growing, including from some PR6 sites.

In a month or so I'll do another more detailed post on stats.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)