I've seen a huge increase in traffic......

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (53 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

And indeed my hub rating, after doing something with my hubs.

It may seem like stating the obvious, but I went through all of hubs and put the absolute maximum number of tags that I could before it said "you have too many tags" or whatever it says. When it said that I had too many tags I removed 1 or 2 at a time until the warning went away.

The logic is very simple of course, the more tags the more searches you are indexed for, but all I know is that my adsense impressions are at their healthiest ever for my hubs. And my score went from 91 to 95 overnight (over UK night that is).

Worth giving it a go people, but.... just to put something on record, make sure that your tags are relevant to your topic of course, if not you will end up flagged!

Would be interested to see what kind of results you lot get by doing the same.

1. Gennifer profile image53
      Genniferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ryan, I'm going to try to follow your advice. I'm a newcommer here and don't know all HubSecrets yet. But I learn. wink

2. profile image31
    564626posted 14 years ago

Oh my god you added tags...half the size of your article. i dont think any more tags possible for your hubs.

Did saw any significant increase in your earnings. by tags..

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, every article has the maximum amount of tags. One more tag and I will be given a warning. With no warning I have not exceeded the maximum.

There is a lower limit where hubpages say you have 'too few' tags, and an upper limit where they say 'too many' tags. I am 1 tag under 'too many' on all of them.

2. profile image0

Oh and its far too early to tell with regards to earnings, I am having a very slow week or two on adsense anyway so its hard to tell. I guess I can make a judgement in a day or two.

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Thanks, Ryan.  I will try that.  I'm trying to increase my traffic & am aiming more towards earnings at hubpages at this point...as I understand some are making $500 a month or so.  And that is ROYALTIES, too, basically a passive income month after month, so well worth it.

Anybody have other tips?  Analytics?  Does anyone really stuff key words?  How about Adwords?  What is this back linking I hear about?

I'd like to believe my writing is fine, as I am a professional writer. 

Ideas welcome.

4. manchito profile image60
    manchitoposted 14 years ago

I am doing that for my last few hubs, however I select the keywords initially from 'google keyword external tool' using Three guidelines

a) First I select a bunch of keyword highly related to my hub topic. Those keywords should be something that a common visitor may type into goggle, or any other web crawler

b) Second, I drop those keywords who have either, a low traffic estimated prediction or a low estimated bidding price

c) I make a spreadsheet with remaining ones, ranking them according to the best relation between a) and b)

I repeat the above scenario for more keywords found using either  'the website tool' (same google keyword tool) or other tools that I currently use (market samurai, wordtracker...)

When I have a long list of higher related keywords I start tagging my hub, I haven't reached to the point that I may have 'too many tags' but I am happy with the results. Not only the traffic has been increased, but also, adsense clicks have a better click/commision payout rate and I have even gotten a couple of affiliate sales in the last week. I think it is all due to the fact of having highly related keywords in each hub.

Last but not least, I think there is a higher chance to quickly republish your hubs at certain hours of the day, so, any modification should take that into consideration to avoid being 'unpublished' too much time. After all, we all have had to suffer to get that traffic, right?

5. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Yes that is one good thing to do, a constantly optimized hubpage works well with the maximum tags, but also consider...

Re-writing the titles, because if you think about it, if your url title says one relevant sentence, then it's best to do another relevant sentence on your title field, as it makes perfect sense to capture the long tail references for your chosen bunch of keywords.

An example could be your url....so after your http://hubpages.com
    it could be "cooking cheesy peas" so when you actually get to your hub edit page you can change that cooking cheesy peas to "Cooking With Cheese: Perfect Cheesy Peas Everytime" and the url is fixed so you will have two separate titles in existence on the same hubpage.

And just imagine variations on your top bunch of keywords at the title of every capsule to further optimize your efforts, but don't forget when you save image files for photos you need to add your tags there as a saved file so you can capitalize on your keywords there too when you upload photos.

I think you may find that some keyword variations change over time due to different advertisers coming aboard and going for the long tail tag variety and so we must change and optimize accordingly.

1. profile image0

waynet that is awesome advise.

are you saying that if i saved a photo as a keyword, lets say 'cheesy-pies' then somebody searched 'cheesy pies' in google images, i could get traffic that way?

Or have i got that wrong?

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes that is correct, so long as your top keywords appear throughout your article aswell.

Oh and another thing is to put your hubs into groups using the ub groups function I find this helps for people to read one article and then go straight to another related one through a link at the bottom of the page.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually it isn't.  You can't save a photo as anything on HubPages - when you save it, it gets its own unique ID assigned by HP.  All you can do is give the photo capsule a title, or add a caption. You can use keywords in your title or caption, but bear in mind that your readers will be able to see it too.

As for the tags - I'm sure I read somewhere that the tags are only for ease of navigation by Hubbers and aren't really relevant to search engines, but maybe I misunderstood that.

I think the image url that hubpages converts to is a redirect of some kind, so that when you upload your keyworded file it still exists beyond the half encrypted url...squidoo is the exact opposite, they have all the other side of the coin were when you view the source code you can identify almost everything....All I know is when I do the same here and on squidoo I get better results so I'm sticking to it, on any site....er...even if I'm wrong for here at hubpages!

I'll have to do a forum search because I'm nearly sure you're wrong, at least for HubPages.  However, you're absolutely right if you're referring to your own website!  And of course, you can always use a caption or photo capsule heading.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
                livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There has to be something on the pictures because some of my traffic is coming from google.image searches

Are you using a caption or a title on the photo capsule, because google image search will pick up either of those.

1. Whitney05 profile image82
                    Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You beat me to it every time. Pictures in general on websites can help get Google images or other image searches because the title of the image will save in the URL. With HubPages, this has been brought up before, it doesn't work that way. The image searches come to your hubs by registering through the captions and words around the picture. Basically, with HubPages, from my understanding the image searches pull up your hubs from the keywords and such.

And, someone else beat me to saying that too many keywords is bad. The tags are only for internal searches. They don't give huge amounts of significant amounts of external results. As mentioned before, you may get picked up on a top hubs search and the person click that link to find your hub and 9 others on the page. Other than that, for the most part, tags are only good for internal searches.

Too many and keyword stuffing (which is using the same or similar word or phrase too many times on a page) are different, but both have severe consequences. In terms of using keywords and key phrases, stick with once every 100-150 words.

It's best to stick with 10-20 tags on HubPages,as well as your personal blogs and sites per page. And avoid keyword stuffing, even though using keywords and phrases within the page will be what helps bring outside traffic.

2. hersame profile image80
            hersameposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They actually give you backlinks.  It'll show up as an rss tag. NTM your hub will show up for those tags on other hubs.
            So yes, tag it up.

6. deisai1 profile image58
    deisai1posted 14 years ago

Thank-you Ryan, I will definitely give that a go. I have only tried inserting a large number of tags to 1 of my hubs. Coincidently that hub is my highest viewed hub.smile

7. world of the wise profile image67
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

I have found the best advise a man needs in this thread

8. Christine Tierney profile image60
    Christine Tierneyposted 14 years ago

First of all...Thank you to all who have added to this thread. Very informational. Second...hey Waynet....would that type of useage work with an online store?

I have been trying to learn this whole SEO stuff. To tell you the truth...I feel like I should just go and beat my head against the wall. I am not a stupid person. I have a background in the Medical Field....among a few others. However, not sure if it is just the two past brain surgeries that are throwing up road blocks on this SEO stuff...like maybe my neurosurgeon took that part out lol...or what...but I could really use some advise on:
      1.  Keyword Optimization
      2.  SEO
      3.  RSS feed
      4.  umm what was it....ummm...crud...short term memory loss stinks...now I can't remember.
    OH WAIT...ok...how do you all make money on here? What is all that about? How do I do that?

I know I kind of addressed part of that to Waynet...but I actually welcome any and all input and feedback on this stuff. I need all the help I can get!

1. Dale Nelson profile image38
      Dale Nelsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Christine,
      I have a hub for newbies that you may want to read.
      its at http://hubpages.com/hub/Understanding-G … -Analytics
      It gives a basic breakdown of the google adsense program

2. johnr54 profile image48
      johnr54posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you really want to learn about SEO on the cheap, go to

http://www.seofaststart.com/

and download the free report Dan Theis has there.  He's the Dean of Faculty for Stompernet and knows his stuff.  And it's really free.  He does offer some paid products, but you can learn a LOT for free from him.

9. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I'd say that usage would apply to an online store, because all seo and optimizations are a universal approach, so long as you have access to data files that you can add alt tags these are the parts where you can add your keyword tags on any photo that you upload to say blogger - the free blogging platform, I would recommend getting a free blogger account so you can upload photos and stuff there which will be automatically stored in a picaso(think that's what it's called!) account and when you upload photos it shows up as code within your posts and just look for something like alt "" or something like that and the keyword tags go in between the quotes.

If you search here on hubpages(through the search function in the right hand corner) there are some great hubbers who have written about search engine optimization and all sorts of helpful stuff to learn at your own pace...About 4 years ago I too was one of them people who was banging their head against a wall trying to figure this stuff out, now I know a lot about this stuff to write a few 200 page books on the subject.

Welcome to hubpages Christine

And making money on here is quite simply writing what you know and building on top of that!

10. adsensesecrets profile image61
    adsensesecretsposted 14 years ago

i have heard that if you have too many tags most search engines dont like that. are you still getting traffic from google etc? did your rank on google go down?

11. Christine Tierney profile image60
    Christine Tierneyposted 14 years ago

Well...I definately need to try and keep reading up. Thank you for the info Waynet.

Hey Adsensesecrets...ya know...I thought that Keyword "Stuffing" was something that would lower your ranking also. But yet...I went into the forum on the site that I have my store on...and asked about it...and holy cow....you would have thought I shot someone the way they got so angry. So it was obvious who was "stuffing" and who wasn't....
    I think it looks tacky...makes the potential buyer...keep window shopping. I was actually looking for something for my girls...and gave up...there was just too toooo much in the title. But again...they all thought it was helping them...So I would like a definitive answer on this as well.....

Yes keyword stuffing is bad as the top search engine Google frowns upon this, as they can detect pages and other web content that uses this bad practice and they simply don't get indexed by them.

Use your keywords sparingly and sprinkle them lightly throughout your article content....

12. mommyfreelancer profile image74
    mommyfreelancerposted 14 years ago

Ryan, I saw your hubs - yes, you have a lot of tags! I tried doing your technique in one of my hubs, I'll keep you posted on how it will turn out.

But I did not reach the alert, or I doubt if I even got near it. I got too tired!

Hats off to you, Ryan, for keeping the discipline. I guess good rewards really do come to those who persist. smile

13. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 14 years ago

Marisa - I agree.  The common wisdom on hubpages used to be that tags only help searches etc. within hubpages but the search engines now ignore them.  Good tags obviously improve Hubpages traffic but adsense clicks tend to come from search engine traffic not internal (Hubpages)traffic.

14. profile image60
    DinoEntrailsposted 14 years ago

I will try it. As long as the tags are related to your content, I do not see why search engines would not like the hub. To tell you the truth, I have no idea if Google even takes tags into account, or how.

SEO is pretty simple. On-page optimization comes down to using your keywords, putting it in bold once or twice, keyword in first and last sentence, Title and H1 headers, and using alt image tags. Offpage is more important, and consists of only getting WELL ANCHORED backlinks.

That's what we're saying, Dino - the tags aren't actually in the content of your Hub and in the past, we've been told that Google doesn't pick up on them.  So we're all wondering why tag stuffing is helping traffic.

Ryan, is the traffic from search engines or from Hubbers?

1. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From what I can see, the tags in the hubs are linked to internal hub searches which are linked to hot hubs and will show up in the search engines.

15. Marketing Sucesso profile image60
    Marketing Sucessoposted 14 years ago

Really nice tip. I´ve done the same to my hubs and my adsense revenues have increased.

16. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'd tried this.  My traffic sucks.  Most of it is from inside the Hub - which is GREAT, I'm glad other hubbers are reading my stuff. 

I added lots of tags to 1/2 of my hubs and there was no increase in traffic.  Will wait a few more days to see what happens.

Thanks for the tip smile

17. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I have found that it is important to label your photos. I received a ton of hits in about 3 days from the tagline under one of my images.  It's one more place to put relevant keywords.

18. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Another thing I've started to do, and it's too early to know if it helps, but it's something I learned when running for political office.  People like to be asked for their vote, oddly enough.  So, I've begun mentioning it in some hubs and on my profile page, that if you like what you've read of mine, please share it with a friend by clicking on the "email this page" button at the bottom of the hub.  The way I see it, it can't hurt to put the suggestion in their head.

19. Et al... profile image68
    Et al...posted 14 years ago

I looked at your hubs and they are very interesting! You really like serial killers, huh? I am always fascinated by their stories as well. Now that stay home with a baby I can't watch the tv shows about them during the day, as I'm afraid a scary image will stick in her head and I'll get no sleep. smile

Thanks for tips on tags. I will try this. I still have trouble understanding tags and how they work. For instance, if I did hub on treehouses, would I need to add tags "how to build treehouse" and then add "treehouse" tag by its self? Or does the fact that I already have treehouse in my first tag take care of that word altogether?

Thanks, Michele

20. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

as usual, ryan, your tips are quite helpful.

however, i've not seen the increases yet.  that's with one of my hubs in the #1 position on google's page one, out of 5,960,000 results and i've got 14 pv's in the last week?  two other hubs are on their respective page one's, two others on page two's, and as of 30 minutes ago, i've got a grand total of 1 page view for all of my hubs. 

anyone having a similar experience?

When you say they're on page 1, what are you searching for?

You can easily get on page 1 if you're searching for the exact title of your Hub, but remember practically no one will be searching for that, so it's meaningless.  You need to be on page 1 for something people are likely to type into the Google search box!

21. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

marisa, i'm aware that typing in a title might get one on page one.  on the other hand, it might not even be in the top 20 pages.  however,   my comment regarding  #1 was a part of a post having to do with page views.    i'm guessing that with almost 6 million results on a topic, someone's typing the words in the search box.

Just out of curiosity, what were you searching on specifically?

2. MontyApollo profile image61
      MontyApolloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even if you have a popular TOPIC, you have to use keywords that people use to search with. The number of results doesn't have that much to do with it. For example, asbestos farts (two random words) has 600,000 results.

You need to use the Google Keyword Tool and one of the others to see how many searches those keywords really get.

22. mommyfreelancer profile image74
    mommyfreelancerposted 14 years ago

To give you an update, I used Ryan's technique on 2 of my hubs, one being my least viewed hub. I have to say that nothing much changed sad It's still being barely viewed.

On the other hand, I did the same to one of my okay-viewed hubs, and its viewership has indeed increased, including the slideshow views.

Don't know what to make of it now....

23. Creaminizer23 profile image61
    Creaminizer23posted 14 years ago

Interesting... Can you teach some of your tricks?

24. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

Here's a hub I wrote on the use of tags on Hubs

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Traffic-Use-of-Tags

Thanks for a great Hub!  I hope Ryan reads it and notices that having too MANY tags is counter-productive.

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deff agree with this, sorry Ryan but the good lady is right !

25. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

johns hub above is great.

For sure, tags are an interhub pages feature, (so little effect on worthwhile traffic would be expected)

Hub tags are not to be confused with traditional meta tags (although i am sure they are)

but he explains that the tags link out to hub pages topic/tag indexes that can send some google juice

26. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I also just read one by Relashe

http://hubpages.com/hub/Fine-Tuning-Your-Hubs

I took out some of my tags and found that the potential for earning in the hubmetrics was increased.
    I agree there can be too many 'unhelpful' tags that dilute your effectiveness for targeted traffic.

27. Gennifer profile image53
    Genniferposted 14 years ago

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a great increase in traffic. What's wrong? I can not understand

If you read the three posts immediately above yours, you'll see that some more knowledgeable people say too many tags can have a bad effect, not a good one.

28. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I actually saw a big increase tonight... lol

29. nikki1 profile image61
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

Congrads, my friend..
    lol..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)