jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

The Death of a Legendary Writer-J.D. Salinger

1. lorlie6 profile image85
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

A reclusive writer, the author of "The Catcher in the Rye" has died at the age of 91 in New Hampshire.
    I know I will miss his contributions to contemporary American Literature.

1. 0
      Suzy McBlogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My first thought was "you're kidding me!" I'm glad he had a long and full life. He will be missed.

2. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

aaaa I didn't know he had passed. I'm gonna miss J.D. too but I am glad that he had a long fulfilling life.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

About 4 well-known writers have died this week...not good.

Catcher in the Rye is a classic and will live on forever. And I hope they managed to stop the "sequel" (by someone else without Salinger's permission) from ever being published.

4. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 6 years ago

How sad as writers to lose such an inspiration.

5. William F. Torpey profile image86
    William F. Torpeyposted 6 years ago

I read J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" many, many years ago. I thought it was a good book, but I didn't see anything startling about it and certainly no reason to ban it from bookshelves. As I remember it, it was merely the story of a young guy trying to grow up in a not-too-accommodating world. I remember commenting about Salinger birthday on compu-smart's Celebrity Birthday hub for January 1 only four weeks ago. It's too bad Salinger was so reclusive; we might had gained even more from his writings.