Internet computer Help Please. Tech where are u

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Eileen Hughes profile image63
    Eileen Hughesposted 16 years ago

I am having so much problems with my computer in last 2 days.  It keeps dropping off the net.
    I will explain.  I am networked.  I have a small computer which has smoothwall on this is my server.
    Then I have my computer and then my husband has a laptop.
    These are both connected to this little server.

Every couple of minutes it just drops off the net.  says cannot find page.  then I hear the little ping of it hooking back on again.  then try to open another page and its dropped off again.  I am just about ready to .....I wont say it..

I thought it may be a virus. But no virus. I have done spybot and that appears all ok.

The only thing I can think is maybe my little server is litterally going to go bananas.

Can anyone come up with a suggestion.  of what can cause it.
    I just about pulling my hair out.   Thanks in advance

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

How your husband's laptop is doing? How computers are connected to the server? What modem/router server is connected to and how?

First thing you can try is unplugging and plugging back all the cables that connect those things together.

3. Eileen Hughes profile image63

Thanks misha,  yes I did that several times over the last few days.
    And no different.  It just goes on the net for a few minutes, then drops off.

I have had this working great for ages and suddenly it plays up.  I thought it must have been a virus. But downloading latest all the time and no virus.
    so still looking for the error or problem Thanks for trying

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

You are welcome Eileen smile

You did not answer any single question however. I can't help you if you don't answer my questions smile

5. Eileen Hughes profile image63

Sorry I thought I had put enough in the top part of my question
    My husband has a duo core laptop.2 gig mem
    I have the desktop version of  duo.core 2. Plus 2gig mem
    modem Alcatel speed touch green modem (looks like out of space object)
    usb broadband
    hub is 8port 10/199 mpbs Nway smartswitch np2008 netcom
    Mge ups elipse 300

My server is an HP mini epc and I have smoothwall 2 installed on this.
    Everything is usb and printer mp750 Cannon.
    I think thats everything.

This has worked fine for ages.
    I have just downloaded latest spybot because mine came up with
    error winpup 32. unggulliger  etc error. They set on net download the latest.
    Have rerun this and still coming up with this error.  So running again.
    I have been dropped of again while doing all this of course. So heres hoping it will go out again.  Thanks heaps.  B.....computers.  we could not be without with hubpages though.

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL I meant does your husband's laptop have the same problem or not smile

You are saying everything is USB and at the same time you have 10/100 hub which is Ethernet. Could you clarify what exactly is connected to what using what interface?

7. Eileen Hughes profile image63

yes because we are both hooked up to the save server computer.

Therefore if one goes off so does the other.  Spybot still comes up with that error even though latest.  I went on the net for that error and it said that would fix ....wrong....  Thanks again

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

So, the problem is with that server you hooked up to, or with modem. May be with hub, too...

Until I know how everything is connected exactly, I can't tell you what to do next. And I'm heading to bed now, so we'll continue tomorrow smile

9. Eileen Hughes profile image63

Thanks misha,
      I gave up and threw out my server and my modem and went back to an old modem.  But at least I am back on the netttttttt.  Thank goodness...

It will mean that now we cannot both or either hook onto the net individually or together.
    My computer is the main one .... now I will just have to hook his up onto the network.  But thats ok.

At least it will still work now.

Thanks for all your help.  You cheered me up it didnt seem quite so hopeless with your help.

10. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

You are welcome big_smile I'm glad it works now.

11. Eileen Hughes profile image63

Yep  both computers working.  I can live with out the server.  Actually we took out the ups as well.  So will spend time checking them out to see what actually caused this major  interuptions to my hubbing.  thanks again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)