jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

How reliable are the Tags suggested by HubPages? How are they ........

1. LasanthaW profile image78
    LasanthaWposted 5 years ago

generated by HubPages?

When you open one of your own Hubs, you find some "Suggested Tags" below the Tags which you have given for your Hub. These are Tags suggested by HubPages for your Hub and generated by HubPages based on a certain systematic procedure. Why some of them look meaningless? How are they generated? Is it the same procedure adopted by Google Keywords to generate keywords? How reliable are they? Can they get traffic to your Hub from search engines?

2. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago
    1. Rosie2010 profile image83
      Rosie2010posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, ryankett.  I read your hub on tags and that is very helpful.

3. Apepperson profile image60
    Apeppersonposted 5 years ago

Those tags are pretty meaningful. I use as many related keywords that I can find for tags, then I use the suggested ones as well. There have been times when a few of those tags were responsible for a lot of traffic to my hubs. Never think those tags do not help, because they do!

LasanthaWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I said that some tags were meaningless because some of them are incomplete expressions. For example, in my hub Potential strategic financial objectives of an organization , there are suggested tags like "main strategic", "maximizing shareholder".

Another hub How high inflation rate affects on business and economy has suggested tags like "explained rise", "period time".

Suggested Tags given in certain hubs are related to the links to other  hubs and not to the contents of the hub.

2. LasanthaW profile image78

Apepperson, you say that you use "many related keywords" and the "suggested once as well." But do you use all the suggested once. If you don't use all the suggested tags, why? Isn't because they are either meaningless or useless?

4. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

I would argue that the suggested tags are pretty awful 80% of the time, that Hubpage by somebody named John really helped me around a year or so ago.

What do you mean by 80%?

1. simeonvisser profile image87
        simeonvisserposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think he meant 'most of the time'. Some tag suggestions are useful but it's better to choose them yourself.

5. timorous profile image90
    timorousposted 5 years ago

It's just common sense.  If you think the suggestions don't make any sense, or aren't even in the hub text anywhere, then why use them.  I surmise that the tags are synonymous with keywords.  You should primarily use tag words that actually occur in your hub text at least once.

It could be that some of the suggestions are actually searched terms, maybe not.  Most of them seem to be the result of scanning your hub for the most frequently used words or phrases and comparing them to a list of searched terms.

You and I might think some particular suggestions don't make any sense. Whatever it is, Timorous, they are suggestions by HubPages. I am asking here in my question, on what basis do they suggest the Tags. On what basis are they generated? If it is suggested by HubPages, how can we just ignore them? And still, if some of them look meaningless ........................?

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When you create a hub, you can start out with a minimum of two tags. However, when you are done writing the hub, then Hubpages suggestions will be expanded based on the content of what you've written.

6. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 5 years ago

This is quite interesting, as I have just been looking at my tags! and wondering what I have to do with them.
    I know it sounds daft but they just appear at the side and for all I know they stay there. Do I have to place them somewhere or 'Highlight' them?
    Any suggestions please.

7. timorous profile image90
    timorousposted 5 years ago

Why don't you try clicking on one of them and see where it goes...?

They're mainly there to help web surfers (and the search engines) to find your hub article.

You don't have to do anything with the ones that are there, unless you think they're not helping your hub at all.