Help with non starter please

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

Hi guys, I was hoping for some criticism on the below hub. I've written a small series on the subject and the others do well (by comparison!)

Its been online for almost 2 months, and I've only had 5 pv! I want to edit it before I go off and do some promoting for it.

Any tips, criticism and ideas would be massively helpful. Thanks in advacne to any help. Andre

http://hubpages.com/hub/Buying-A-Canvas … meone-Else

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Wow Buddy, I have to say this is a difficult one =S.

It has a basic flow to it:
    --> Explanation/Introduction of why you need the Hub
    -->Main Points:
    -Color
    -Style
    -Size

It has an accurate text to image ratio, with the images labeled.

I personally don't know enough about Canvas Art to suggest anything to add. Maybe you could add a video? But of course...what kind of video could you put on that?
    I would guess, maybe if your capable of making or finding videos you could try to make something like demonstrating the skills you suggested. Like taking a say light blue wall and have 3 options, show the 3 then select the one that looks best in the way you suggested to pick them out to add a good feeling to the room.

Because of my lack of knowledge of Canvas Art etc, I'm going to say this is what you should do, in a way you can understand it, almost like a blank puzzle where your the only one who has the pieces to the real colored one!

Here goes nothing:

I really hope that helps, I'm sorry I can't give something specific. Just how I expressed that to you, you must express your message to your readers.

Oh, yes, try something new with your sentences and how you start the Hub, don't make the title start the first sentence etc, remember try something that you might not have tried before-it might make all the difference!

Your new friend,

~thranax~

3. Marian Swift profile image59
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Good Hub!  Can only think of 2 areas for potential tweakage:

1.  TITLE:  You might want to make it scream 'art!' for the non-art-oriented.  Maybe try referring to "painted canvas" or "canvas artwork."  Or, beginning the title with, "ART: ."  Or something like that.  Maybe.

2.  TAGS:  Your tags are good, but there aren't a lot of them.  Tags can be tough to dream up, but there is a Suggested Tags function right under your Tags list.  But beware -- some of the suggested tags are just plain silly.

Hope this helps.

4. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

I think it's the title.  I'm an artist (albeit a bad one) so knew wha the title meant.  I asked 3 other people what they thought the article was about, showing them just the title.  My Mum thought it might be something to do with tents.  My Dad KNEW it was about weatherproof covers, and the other person said "nothing interesting".

1. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

True, I did find the cover a little challenging if you didn't know what he was talking about, UNLESS you read his profile, then its clear!

~thranax~

5. Kika Rose profile image68
    Kika Roseposted 15 years ago

Hey hun!

Your hub's kind of short, with not much of a backstory. That's what I always look for. Can I really get into what this hubber is telling me? Can I relate with the hubber? If I can't, I have a hard time reading their work. That's why I take so much time on my first capsule, to make sure it's got all the eye-popping glory I can think to put in it. You've also got to keep the reader interested throughout the rest of your hub. You have some good information, but not much for glamor. Another thing to consider, like Julie-Ann and Thran said, is your title. What kind of canvas are you talking about? What about canvases are you going to tell me? Do you write your own summary text? That right there will help draw in more readers.

The last thing I can say is, keep in mind who your audience is, and how big it really is. Not many people are big on buying their own canvases. It takes a truly dedicated artist to put that much financing into their work, and trust me when I say canvases ain't cheap. I was just shopping for some good watercolor ones the other day, and nearly died of sticker shock! Anywho, the "customer base" isn't going to be very high, and even if you're using AdSense, it's going to be a long and grueling road for your hub. Try adding more tags with common words used in the hub and words that help describe what you're talking about.

Would it help if I said I liked the pictures? big_smile

6. WHoArtNow profile image82

Wow, thanks for the advice!

@ Thranax - you might not know about the subject, but you have given me a lot to think about for my future writing, thanks a lot!

@ Marian Swift - I hadn't even noticed the lame title, thank you for pointing it out! Yeah the tags are a little thin on the ground, I used the new tag suggester (there are some very silly ones!) on my top 5 hubs (due to lack of time) and I keep forgetting to go back and do all of them, thank you for reminding me.

@ Julie-Ann Amos - The title is weak and will be changed in a few minutes. Lol, I can definatly say its not about waterproof covers! I would also like to say that no artist is a bad artist! And even if you believe you are bad, at least you still call yourself an artist! Remember, some of the greatest artists of all time were classed "bad" in their day, who knows, maybe your the next Piccaso!

@ Kika Rose - I always seem to get paranoid I'm writing my hubs too long, its only been recently I've come across some monster hubs and realised I need to lengthen my future hubs. Glamour is not my thing, but I shall work on it!  How bad was the price? I admit the customer base is not that big, but you'd be surprised by how many people are buying them these days (in England anyway!) and we sell 4 or 5 a week for America or Australia! (Image the P&P on a 6ftx3ft canvas!!) And yes it would help saying you like the pictures, some of them are mine!

Thanks a lot guys, I think I have some editing to do!

1. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Your Welcome, I was thinking that would help out!

~thranax~

7. WHoArtNow profile image82

Thanks a lot for all the help guys. The hub in question is now my 3rd most hit hub and its also my highest rating big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Plus I took your advice into my next hub, but I only published a few hours ago, hard to tell yet!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)