Collection of qus about algo change - don't think they've been covered

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I have been reading the forum threads with interest, and feel bad about opening yet another Google algo thread, but I don't think this stuff is covered elsewhere and I don't want to wade into the threads that have turned into a pillow fight, so here goes. Please also note that I am not whinger or bemoaning my losses, I knew this day would come and I am fascinated by it, trying to learn as much as possible while developing my own sites.

* Are we boosting Amazon up the ranks. My most profitable hub was #1 on Google for a few months, getting in the region of 1000 views per day. A significant percentage of the views clicked on a product link near the top of the page and made a purchase. Now if you type in that search term the #1 result is that exact product - even the color, of which there are 6 to choose from, but the color is the same the one that was on my hub.
    So my theory is Google saw that the pattern of behaviour of people typing that search term, visiting the hub, exiting through that product link, so now it thinks that the best search result would just show that product page directly at the top of the results. Previously that product page did not feature on the front page at all. My hub is jumping about all other the place. but mostly not on the front page at all.

* Can a hub recover? Some of my hubs have been deservedly slapped. If I were to go back and make them better does Google give second chances? Sometimes I chuck up an OK hub to grab the keywords, then go back and improve it later - but maybe judges it on the first run past it?

* Does Google see unpublished hubs? I'm sure I read somewhere that if you type in the URL directly you can see a hub that has not been published. I think that is also true if you follow links to a hub that hasn't been published. Does this have any overall effect on how Google views the site or does it not get to see them?

* And Sunforged in another thread talked about 'if your content is iframed' on another thread, in the context of it being something that Google doesn't like. What is iframed content? (waving the rather old looking newbie flag).

Wow what a big post.

1. ThomasE profile image68
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

* Can a hub recover?

I tried that, with a section of my hubs which have never been all that good, anyway, so I felt I could trash them. In a highly unscientific way I reduced the number of Amazon capsules, and reduced the keyword density, and have got some increased traffic.

Too early to tell. Not advised at this point.

* Does Google see unpublished hubs?

It doesn't. You can only see the hub when you are logged it, when you are logged out, hubpages doesn't show it.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Hubs can recover if you add more content. Next time google whizzes past they take note and adjust your position in the SERPS accordingly.

Or at least they used to before the farmer update.

Can't answer all your questions but this one I know to be true.

Everyone knows my sharks in the Mediterranean hub was my 1st #1.
    Last year it was jumping about between #1 and #3, so I sat down one day and rewrote large tracts of it. I increased it from 500 words to 1,500 and added new media files.

It has comfortably sat at #1 for maybe 6 months now for at least 3 different keywords.

Now it is something like #6 and falling sad

Don't bother copying it anyone, it was never a money maker. Google never knew what ads to use with the keywords so put public service ads or something up.

It's been up over a year and has made less than $10 so not worth it, but it was a pet project of mine.
    But it shows what adding content can do.

3. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Are we boosting Amazon? No.

Can a hub recover? Absolutely.

Does Google see unpublished hubs? Technically they can, unless HP has specifically told the spiders not to crawl them, which I'm sure they have.

What is Iframing? It's code that allows you to display a document stored elsewhere. That's a pretty basic explanation and iframes are used for many other things, like banner ads, etc. But what it means is that someone could put code on his site that shows your hub. Basically. smile

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do you know for certain that a hub can recover, given the past few days. If the site has been given an automatic penalty, then it can't.

I'm not saying that I want this to be the case. But if a google filter is set to penalize the hubpages model. Then how do we get around this?

Last night Sunforged brought up the issue of the HP internal linking system as a possibility. And I have seen Mark Knowles reference this as well. I can't do anything about that.

I honestly don't mean to sound negative. But I think it's too early to assume that there's an easy fix. I would gladly delete all my sales hubs and work on a new hubbing model, if that would help. But I don't have enough info, to develop a new hubbing strategy.

HP central can see the truly big picture and what hubs are surviving. It's really up to them to develop the strategy, which I'm sure they will. But until then, I'm just waiting and working elsewhere.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's always a fix.

If it is internal linking, HP should be able to fix that almost instantly (or they should fire their programmers!).

If it is dupes, they can be gone, again almost instantly.

If it is external linking to junk, get rid of the junk. Harder, but doable.

If it is bad external linking to good content, well, that requires more resolve, but it can be fixed. give the author the choice of taking down their hub or renaming its url.

ANYTHING can be fixed if the need is really there.

4. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Thanks, I still have a lot to learn.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

But will Google automatically acknowledge the fix? I'm going to try to do other stuff today, while this settles out. I'm feeling dizzy right now. All this conjecture has my head spinning.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it's just algorithmic and not a manual slap, Google can't help but reconsider.

If it is manual, you ask for reconsideration.  I think they even have a form for that..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)