How the Google Algo Affected Your Content - Let's Work it Out

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 84 discussions (366 posts)
  1. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

There have been several theories about what content Google is penalising and rewarding in the search results but at the moment it does seem a bit random (from my end). Let's compare notes and hopefully we can see some common threads in there. What content of yours is holding on to its ranking and traffic? What has been decimated?

Some ideas that have been thrown in so far:

Google demoted internal links

Google is favouring older content (hence the 1997 forum posts clogging up the results)

Single product hubs are faring better than multiple product hubs

Older product hubs are faring better than newer product hubs

Informational articles are faring better than product related articles

Informational hubs are doing better than hubpages "How to" hubs

Google has had an army of manual reviewers scoring webpages on a quality scale and looking at things like grammar, qualifications of the publisher and the citing of sources from authorative sites.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought I'd add my experience here because I'm a less prolific Hubber and I don't approach writing a Hub from an SEO point of view (not within my realm of expertise).

Here's what happened to my google dot com traffic: down 80% and holding there.

The oldest Hubs, mainly about food, are getting the most g.c hits now, but at a rate that is but a shadow of the past.

I have used shetoldme for some of the oldest Hubs, maybe for only half of my portfolio. All of the Hubs getting the most hits at this time do have stm links.

Until 2/23 both g.c traffic and AdSense earnings were on the rise, significantly, and I had made a 2011 plan to publish 100 Hubs. If things stay the way they are as a result of this algo change, and google implements the change around the globe, I will have pretty close to no google traffic. If this situation continues, then my motivation, and thus my plan, is going to be tough to keep.

I'm among those who write here because I enjoy it; any revenue I earn is a nice plus, but I don't write a Hub with earnings in mind. Hope this report adds something to the “let’s work it out” effort.

2. Sunnyglitter profile image83
      Sunnyglitterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My sales hubs are getting hardly any views or clicks.  My hub on Hot Pink High Heels used to have decent traffic and received earnings from both AdSense and Amazon.  It was on the first page of Google.  Now it's on the 3rd.  sad  It's still getting a fair amount of traffic, but from international versions of Google.

My hubs that are not product-related have had a jump in page views, and when I click on the keywords that brought people to my page, many of my hubs are on the first page of Google.  I have a silly hub about food stamps, as well as serious hubs about being estranged from my mother and having my boyfriend take a vacation without me.  All of these hubs have increased in popularity since the algorithm changes.

One of the first hubs I ever wrote is still on the first page of Google, so maybe time does make a difference.

1. kephrira profile image60
        kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of people are saying their amazon hubs aren't doing well - does anyone think google might be registering the number of affiliate links on a page and devaluing pages with what they deem to be too many?

There are certainly a lot of spammy sites out there that are built just with affiliate links using amazon api and so on, so it would make a kind of sense to do that. If anyone has a website of their own with lots of affiliate links per page it would be interesting to hear how that has fared.

1. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The fact that HP is now requiring a minimum of 50 words of text for each Amazon/eBay product listed would seem to suggest so.

1. kephrira profile image60
            kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are they? I hadn't seen anything about that. I may look into this and remove some of the less useful / poorly performing amazon capsules from my pages. Or at least reduce the number of products they show.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
              prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is the forum thread announcement for the changes in hub layout http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/69780

3. missymoo profile image69
      missymooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't noticed any major difference to the traffic my hubs are getting at the moment. The top ones are still doing well (although one of them is seasonal at the moment and so it could be improving but perhaps not as well as it would have done otherwise?).

I remember when Squidoo got hit by Google some time ago; it all eventually settled down again so hopefully that will happen for the good content here as well.

4. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

[line]20%[/line] (i know it wont work)

Google has drastically dropped the trustrank of many 2.0 sites and the pages must now hold up on their own merits which is still primarily based on backlink profiles.

Pages with a backlink profile primarily made up of effected properties will naturally fall a bit due to the loss of the value of those 2.0 links ... this may not be permanent

The update is so large it will take weeks to see its final results

Crap content including eHow that has risen to the top is exactly what will eventually be slaughtered from the serps

duplicate content is currently damaging the original producers (copied) and the scrapers (copiers) - many sites that ranked well became the target of scrapers and were damaged in this update by their previous popularity

[line]20%[/line] (i know it wont work)

From my own perspective and testbed websites the biggest factor in the Google ranking change is down to duplicate content, my testbed sites with duplicate content and spun content dropped like stones.

My sites comprised 100% of unique content rose.

My overall opinion is that a large part of this algorithm change has targetted duplicate content, this has affected domain trust as well as page trust.  So if a site with duplicate content has a single page with duplicate content, that page will take a big hit, but the overall domain trust will drop as well. To put it bluntly, the duplicate content on Hubpages has affected us all.

I would also be interested in knowing if Google has increased the impact low quality spelling and grammar has on rankings.

..this thread has the potential to be a worthwhile empirical resource tool

Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was hoping for....some real stats, as well as some anecdotal observations, rather than the backlinks are bad debate and sarky remarks.

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say back links are bad. I said that dishonest SEO was what caused this.

That's indisputable, but also unimportant because there will always be dishonest people and there will always be otherwise honest folk who feel that they have to do it to compete with the original cheaters. 

But still: the blame belongs to them and I am certainly not going to praise them - and also am not going to let them post inaccurate statements (such as bad links cannot be cause for punishment) without saying something.

Like I said, this thread was meant to be about stats and personal observations on our content whether on our own websites or hubpages, not ideology, morals or blame. If you have some stats or observations based on your own content or reliable sources to share, great, if not go and create your own thread.

5. J Sunhawk profile image67
      J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I published a throw-away hub.

By "throwaway" I mean no SEO and no intent to monetize.

It has 15 views - 14 from hubpages - and no backlinks. Did zero keyword research.

It's on page 3 at Google already.

Good grief. "Seems a bit random" is an understatement, Susana.

(After I refreshed the Google results, it inched up another spot while typing this. I did click on it once to be certain the Hub is mine. I bet Google is watching and will now send a bomb to blow me up. See you in the sub-basement.)

That's interesting J - It may help us draw some useful conclusions at a later date when we see how the hub fares over a longer time frame. (as long a google doesn't bomb it tongue)

From what I've read, seen, and experienced to some degree, the hubs that are holding up the best are the informational ones without web 2.0 links. I'm also seeing hubs with external links from RSS going down.

And yes, sorry about my "seems a bit random" comment, that is an understatement for sure considering the search results I've been seeing and the many strange anomalies therein.

1. J Sunhawk profile image67
          J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think your observation about informational hubs without links may be valid and worthy of further study.

The aforementioned Hub has crawled onto page 2 since I wrote the first post.

This is like watching the blob.

This particular Hub is informational, has no web 2.0 links, no links to other Hubs and only 3 tags.

Please keep us informed of your analysis.

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Adding to theories

Google has drastically dropped the trustrank of many 2.0 sites and the pages must now hold up on their own merits which is still primarily based on backlink profiles.

Pages with a backlink profile primarily made up of effected properties will naturally fall a bit due to the loss of the value of those 2.0 links ... this may not be permanent

The update is so large it will take weeks to see its final results

Crap content including eHow that has risen to the top is exactly what will eventually be slaughtered from the serps

duplicate content is currently damaging the original producers (copied) and the scrapers (copiers) - many sites that ranked well became the target of scrapers and were damaged in this update by their previous popularity

----------
    personally - traffic drops are not extreme but revenue loss is, I seem to have lost a massive amount of "buying" traffic I will need another week to be able to really glean which terms were effected - I stand to lose about 2k monthly if my portfolio keeps its current demographic of traffic.

Luckily feb was still better than January and between all the various revenue sources it will be months before I even get all my earnings from dec/jan .. so will have time to adapt in any way I may need

My portfolio shows that product hubs are faring a lot worse than informational, particularly the newer ones. Some older ones are still doing ok, some have tanked. It's been suggested those titles in the least competitive niches are holding up better?

Amazon earnings are definitely down due to lack of views. Though I've had higher ecpm for adsense making up for the loss of traffic - not making sense - shaking head.

I have definitely noticed ranking high for less terms for one hub - that's info hubs.

One thing I didn't mention in my first post is the possible effect of onpage optimization. I'll have to look to see whether less optimized hubs are holding up better?

2. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that may be it! smile

And if it is, that's easy enough to fix: tell the authors of the hubs that are causing the problem to clean up their self generated links or be forced to change the URL and lose all existing juice.

Draconian, yes, but if that is a major factor, that' is what is needed.

1. Misha profile image62

Not only draconian, but idiotic also. And will not bring the desired outcome. Quite the opposite, will hurt even more. smile

Well, first, I am not yet convinced that the inbound linking IS an issue, so you do understand that I wrapped that in a big IF, right?

But IF it is - if HP  has been devalued AS A WHOLE because x% of members have been fabricating inbound links from certain places judged to be improper by Google (as in the manual J.C.Penny case recently) then obviously it would help to remove those links or force a URL change.

I really don't see how your assertion that is "idiotic" makes any sense.  It would be idiotic to do that without strong evidence that it needs doing, certainly. But if you knew (or could prove by experiment) that Google is heavily weighting this signal, what else could you do?

I think your personal investment in artificial linking is clouding your vision, Misha.

1. Misha profile image62

LOL You obviously don't understand the very basics of how links work, that's why your suggestion is idiotic.

Links can either do nothing or add value to the page they are pointing to. They cannot subtract value. Links from bad neighborhoods do nothing. All other links add some value.

Typical hubber linking profile consists exclusively of web2 properties like snipsly, shetoldme, xoomba, etc. If SF is right, and G devalued those links (means the value they add now is less than before), serious drop across the board on HP seems very logical. However, removing those links will remove all the value that was left after devaluing, decreasing the value of target hubs even more. As easy as that. smile

1. profile image0
                ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's the way I look at things too Misha, my links aren't being removed, but they may be added to smile

1. Misha profile image62

Hi Ryan, glad you are back to your senses, and sorry for being a bit harsh on you a couple of days ago smile

1. bgamall profile image70
                    bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am curious, did black hat seo have anything to do with our demise or is it just a lot of poor hubs?

2. MyWebs profile image76
                MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"They cannot subtract value."

IF incoming links from bad hoods could have a negative effect it would be oh so easy to sabotage your competitors. Which is why they never will subtract value.

1. spooon profile image45
                  spooonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so "google bowling" is only a mythical unicorn then?

Nope. Doesn't exist. Misha says so.

Matt Cutts disagrees, but who is he to say?

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/ … le-bowling

3. Pcunix profile image91

I think I understand far better than you, Misha.

First of all, my comment was directed to a scenario that assumes that HP AS A SITE has ben devalued because of activities by some hubbers.  I hasten to add that I neither know nor believe that to be true; this is entirely hypothetical.

But IF it were true, the solution would be as I said: remove the devalued links or force a url change to cause Google to raise its opinion of the site as a whole.

As to your assertion that links cannot subtract value, that was demonstrated to be false in the recent J.C. Penney case. Yes, that was manual, but nothing says it cannot be algorithmic in the future.

Google doesn't like people like you who create massive fake linking campaigns. They have ben hampered because of the old saw that a competitor could damage you if they devalued because of bad linking, but obviously that didn't deter them in the case of J.C. Penney and they may be working on algorithms to do that automatically.

Your days may be numbered.  While I don't know what you might publish elsewhere, certainly your hubs here are not spammy or low quality - if you are ultimately punished for enthusiastic linkbuilding, that certainly would have more than a tinge of irony, wouldn't it?

However, that wasn't my point here.  Here I was addressing the overall health of the site.  If excessively linked articles had to go to protect the site(big, big IF, please remember), then that's what would need to happen.

It's the same issue with everything else: if duplicate content is what is putting sand in Google's shorts, then it all needs to go. Painful for some, but if that were the deal, toss it out.  If it's too much internal tag linking, tell people to cut it down themselves and then take out the machete if they don't comply.

But it's all IF right now.  The solutions are easy - IF you know the problem.

1. Misha profile image62

ROFLMAO. Me punished? I made 50 plus bucks yesterday off HP, biggest day since mid January. big_smile

Ciao again, buddy smile

Where did I say this existed now, Misha?

I understand that you dislike me.  I dislike people who do massive false backlinking, so we are quite even on that score.

However, in the past, Google has been unable to do anything about people who do this sort of fake linkbuilding.  The reasons are obvious - it's somewhat hard to distinguish the fakes from organic links and if you can distinguish, the old saw about punishing a competitor comes up.

But Google HAS demonstrated that they are willing to do this.  They did it to J.C. Penney and no matter how much you may guffaw, the fact is that they WANT to find a way to do it to every big linkbuilder out there, including you.

Can they?  I don't know.  I do know that Google has a lot of very smart people and a whole lot of money and a very big incentive to do that.

So, laugh while you can and invest your money wisely.  As HP has seen, the world can change overnight.

4. Garrett Mickley profile image79
                Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, they CAN subtract value.  It's called "over optimization"

1. Misha profile image62

You are certainly free to believe whatever myths you choose, be it Jesus, or good government, or backlinks hurting your value. smile

1. Garrett Mickley profile image79
                    Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure it's a myth when my clients get over-optimized, I fix it, and then their rankings bounce right back.

Repeated coincidences?

With your know-it-all attitude you must be making billions of dollars in SEO, huh?

2. sunforged profile image70

I wasnt referring to a penalty to hubpages or any other ugc site.

Simply that the previous strength of a site structure that heavily revolved on internal page linking isnt weighted as heavily.

Which means the page has to stand alone and in order to rank needs to fulfill the same level of external backlinks as its webmaster competitors for the term. A more even playing field.

So even keeping it within the organic methods, this means many with older hubs with a diverse and extensive backlink profile would be doing better than newer hubs with little to no backlinks.

If site structure has been devalued then webmasters .. really "pagemasters" at web 2.0/ UGC sites, who had very little external backlinks would fall in the rankings.

again devalued not penalized, they are quite different, pages from a site dont stay on top of the serps with just drops of a few positions if a site/domain is penalized - as a site we still have a lot of very big term sitting in the top 10. If we were manually penalized that is not likely to happen

As I said, I'm not sure that there is evidence of a sitewide penalty and if there is one, it seems to be very minor.

2. profile image0

I am actually banking on my last 150 hubpages eventually recovering my losses, as I start the process of backlinking them and they begin the process of gaining organic backlinks too. In the past my huge traffic surges have been the result of Hubpage maturity.

Ultimately all it really means is that my traffic growth from now on forward is compensating for prior traffic losses rather than building upon my success. My old Hubpages are still performing strongly, albeit a little less strongly, my newer Hubpages could still show future growth even if that growth would have been much stronger in the past smile

What I am trying to say, is that we are not necessarily stuck with these traffic levels even if the algorithm doesn't change at all, we can still see growth within our existing portfolios making up some of the lost ground - particularly with the number of hubs that I published in November, December and January.

3. sacramento girl profile image60
      sacramento girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's been reported that hubpages had an 87% drop in traffic. If a significant percentage of inbound links on any hub came from internal links (which of course are now getting less traffic and have less juice) and other content farms similarly affected (squidoo, mahalo, ezine) what links remain that are trusted?

It's not that there's been a penalty - it's that these links no longer help you to gain trust with Google.  My guess is that the next time there is a public update of Google PageRank all these sites will take a hit.

If you're writing on Hubpages because you like to write, or you have information you'd like to get out in the world, or you like the community, you won't be affected by the Google Farmer.

But, If you are writing because you think you'll earn easy affiliate commissions or advertising revenue, I'd start rethinking your strategy.

1. profile image0

It wasn't reported that Hubpages lost 87% of its traffic, you read the article wrong. That was nothing other than an index, it didn't represent traffic loss, in fact it was related to SERPS positions. If Hubpages had lost 87% of its traffic it would probably have been pulled out of the plug socket.

2. Aya Katz profile image83
        Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The ability to get information out to the world is going to be greatly reduced with a drastic reduction in traffic. You are mistaken if you think that commercial as opposed to non-commercial uses of Hubpages can be distinguished in this way. If HP loses authority, we all lose.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged, I think you've hit the nail on the head. We all used to tell newbies that just being on HubPages gave articles a boost, compared to publishing it on your own little blog. Losing that "trust" would make all the difference.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Backlinks still count though.

I've been trying to figure out why some hubs stayed 'up there' and others didn't.

My best hub is going to fall soon because there are some pretty strong contenders creeping up on it (it's at #2 - was at #1 for a popular keyword - damn this to happen when I'd finally found a niche I could write in and make money!)

According to Market Samurai, it has 4 PR5 backlinks that came from some TV producer in the US who linked it on his Facebook.

THAT is what is holding that hub up, not the writing, not Hubpages, just simple backlinks.

1. Misha profile image62

Yep, corresponds to my observations. And not only in this case. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's true Izzy, that's what Sunforged is saying. 

In the past, Hubs could do fairly well without backlinks just because of HubPages "trust factor".  Backlinks would get them ranked faster, but good Hubs get there anyway, if you're patient - look at the earnings of Hubbers like Relache.

Sunforged is saying the "trust factor" is now gone, so our Hubs are being judged like any other web page, which means backlinks are vitally important now.

3. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Yey - great thread idea Susana, so here's my 2 pennies worth:

My biggest loser was a hub that was getting around 1k views a day and was a multi-product hub. It has been replaced at the #1 spot with the Amazon product I most sold through that hub. Then #2 is a YouTube video which is a joke about the product, #3 is Google's compare prices entry, #4 is an Amazon a store with its own domain name (this makes me want to cry), then three online stores specific to that product area.

I seem to have lost about a third of traffic off all the other hubs that generated 10+ views a day, but then I didn't really have a variety of different hubs.

My Adsense has tanked.

So onto theories:

* I thought that affiliate links on a site were hurting it because a lot of the blogs I have seen newly appearing on the top page don't have affiliate links in the text although they do have affiliate banners in their advertising column - but with the appearance of an astore on the front page of some searches I can't be so sure.

* My highest performing hubs, which are now the hardest hit were backlinked on other 2.0 sites.

* I have two opposing ideas about the AdSense
      1. The search results could be better, so once the user has read the webpage they are satisfied and are not clicking on an ad in the hope to find more information
      2. The search results are not better and the user immediatley recongnizes the page does not meet their needs and hits the back button and/or the ads displayed are poorly matched to their needs.

* Ever since Thurs night I have been Googling away doing research for a project of mine and it has been much harder to find the information that I need compared to the previous week.

* Not sure I buy into the grammar, quality theory. Just for laughs I have been reading out some of the top results to my husband as the incredibly poor English is giving us a good giggle.

I shall watch this thread with interest as not only will these changes mean I need to adjust my HubPages approach,they will aslo affect my own website (hopefully positive).

1. sagebrush_mama profile image60
      sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't get tons of traffic, but I just noticed a hub of mine which showed up just after 3 Amazon results for my most searched term on the hub...wonder if it makes sense to adjust titles to include a reference to "compare" or "comparisons" on a multi-product hub, in order to distinguish it from one-product amazon results.

4. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I have an eight month old second account with just over 70 product hubs in it.  Overall traffic for this is slightly down, but it hasn't tanked. Fingers crossed.

For my main account I've also got slightly lower overall traffic levels than normal, but again, nothing major.  I do however have one informational hub which has always been my most-viewed hub, and now it's getting more views than ever. 

On a totally unrelated note, I received my first Amazon cheque yesterday - am going to have some fun today trying to get it paid into my account at our local branch of Lloyds TSB lol

1. Spacey Gracey profile image40
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck with that - my local Lloyds were so grumpy about it I never went back and now pay in at Barclays.

1. CMHypno profile image82
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bank with FirstDirect and pay in at HSBC. It was simple and straightforward and the money was in my account in a couple of days,and cost a tenner in bank charges

Congratulations, Empress Felicity!

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Aya smile.  Ended up paying it into my account at the Halifax who are now owned by Lloyds TSB so it's the same people dealing with the paperwork.  And what paperwork - a form filled out in triplicate, and a 28 day wait until the cheque clears into your account.  Plus several very dazed and confused (but very sweet) cashiers, who had to look up the procedure in their handbook.

OK, sorry Susanna - I'll stop hijacking this thread now lol

No probs smile I'm sure the back clerks cringe when I walk in the bank with my amazon cheque!

5. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

My hubs are all over the place. I rarely backlink. Anything that has links is pretty much due to naturally occurring ones.

Amazon has tanked, big time. I think it's a 50/50 mix between lack of traffic and Amazon now appearing for the same keywords.

My how to stuff has held up, of which I have a good few. However, despite (for the main) no real shift in the serps, traffic is way down. I have a couple that have hit the #1 spot, or at least experienced a big leap up the serps.

I have one hub (you know which one Susana) that is stand alone. Before it was doing good. It's now at #4, which is a significant enough leap. It's views have increased by a little over 30%. Though I'm not entirely sure, as I can't link it directly to Adsense, I believe that it's almost solely responsible for keeping Adsense from completely tanking.

Some of my new stuff is gaining traffic, better that I would have normally expected, though not enough to make a huge difference overall.

Having got a truly well blended hub portfolio - info hubs, how to's, Amazon and so on, all have been equally affected to the positive and the negative.

I have one large, related niche that has seen the traffic drop by 50%, and yet some of the hubs have improved in the serps, the others remain where they were.

I'm past trying to work out just what the heck Google was/is trying to achieve. All I can see is that a lot of good people, who write online with the best of intentions, are hurting. I have come across some who, based on 'things' remaining the same, are going to hit the wall. Googles shake up is putting people out of work.

My theory? I have only one - that it's politics. Back scratching is going on and nothing good will come of it, not just for us, but for the internet and Google itself.

6. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 13 years ago

My traffic ratios from one hub to the next have remained about the same, so I can't point to one hub, or one type of hub, that was hardest hit. Pretty much everything of mine took a massive hit. I was down 70% at one point, but it has recovered and stabilized at about a 40% overall loss. My best performing hubs have dropped from #1 to about #4, so earnings are through the floor. I think I made 35 whole cents yesterday.

On an interesting side note, my traffic at Info Barrel is up almost 25% in the last week or so. My hubs and IB articles were pretty heavily linked from web 2.0 sites, so I don't really see a correlation there, either.

7. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Many don't get that this 'new ranking' is Google's answer to gain much more money from those sites greasing Google's palms.  They tried the 'pact with the devil' but Americans want a free and open Internet so the FCC stepped in.  But Google, being smart, has gotten around all that to still accomplish what they want.  So we will see, but I have no doubt that their 'Do no harm' slogan is a joke at best.

That is absolute nonsense.

Google wants one thing:  happy searchers. 

Yes, they want that for "evil": happy searchers means happy advertisers.  But it all starts with what Joe Internet expects to see when he goes looking for something.

We all know that search results need to be better. Google has constantly experimented with new algorithms and tools (like the Wonder Wheel) to try to give us results we will like. 

Judging page quality is tough.  Yes, you can look for bad spelling, run on sentences and the like, but after that even humans have a hard time agreeing, so Google and every other search engine have to rely on other signals (such as those that have been discussed here).

One thing is absolute: not even Microsoft is dumb enough to give extra weight to sites that "grease their palms" (they were accused of that once, but I don't think it was ever proven conclusively).  Google doesn't care if your page runs Adsense or Chitika or no ads at all - they care only if Joe Internet was happy to find it.

Google may or may not have misjudged HP.  All of us "out here"  are like the blind men with the elephant - we can't see the picture Google sees (and even Google sometimes has trouble discerning an elephant from a blown up elephant balloon). 

If they HAVE misjudged, traffic may straighten out naturally as they tweak the new algorithm.  If not, HP needs to figure out which of the many possible signals are the ones causing the damage. Fixing whatever is wrong is the easy part, but fixing the wrong thing (for example, changing internal linking) is foolish because it will just cost money and accomplish nothing.

It is possible that a number of things are summed together and have just pushed HP over the edge. If so, then small adjustments here and there might fix things up.  Or it might be one big thing that causes Google to dislike what it sees. If so, it's that (whatever it is) which needs attention.

This stuff isn't easy.  Google is NOT going to say "If you have x% of articles with bad spelling and x% with more than Y internal links and z% with bad external links and .." because that kind of detail will just let the spammers know exactly how far they can push.  However, SEO testers will eventually figure it out anyway (or come close) and on we go.

"Do no harm" may be an unrealistic slogan, but useful search results is what Google wants to provide, period.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And YouTube is not a user generated content farm. lol

Are you suggesting that Joe Internet doesn't like finding YouTube results?

I'll repeat it again:  Google cares about happy searchers. Period.

That said, obviously right now some searchers are unhappy smile

I am suggesting that they have applied different criteria to their own site youtube than they have to other "user generated content farms."

Happy searchers - and I include myself in this - do not want 5 Amazon results in the top ten returns. I don't want to see any shopping results in my internet searches. When I want to go buy it - I will go buy it.

I agree - I don't see any need for multiple Amazon results.  It would be fine to have a "More results from Amazon" link - even a "15,000 results from Amazon" smile

I doubt that Google has applied any different criteria. that would be very, very stupid of them and they are NOT stupid.

1. frogdropping profile image78
                frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not, but they're certainly cut-throat. Business, profits and all that. The very perspective that perpetrates black hat.

2. BobbiRant profile image61
        BobbiRantposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's just what Google wants us to believe.  That's a nice little tale.

8. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Looking at this whole mess as a person who uses Google for info - I don't like that they have demoted pages with internal links. I often read a page, but want to read more on the topic, and follow a writer's internal link to see what else they have to say, especially if it's a good, informative site.

And as far as the citing of sources - I use books for 90% of my research (I trust them more). And I've read a ton of misinformation on the web. So, if I am not siting internet sources, I'll be demoted? That's stupid.

9. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Have to say that it is the older hubs that are holding up, and everything that I have written this year so far is struggling to get traffic

Doesn't seem to be about product/informational though.  My travel hubs are not doing well, but as they are mainly about Australia and NZ, this could be more to do with people not being able to afford long-haul travel at the moment, or the recent sad natural disasters in both of these countries

1. snakebaby profile image67
      snakebabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I highly doubt it is the case. Couple of my newer hubs about strange fish are getting 10-20 views per day, though not much, it is considered fairly good in my case, higher than before; yet the older similar ones about plants as well as couple of newest are getting little attention from google; my product hubs fare no worse or better than the rest of the hubs, my beyblade hubs may have lost 25% traffic overall, because they are not getting traffic under the most popular keywords like before.

One personal conclusion: No matter what happened, my personal experience gives me this conclusion: All of the most popular and general keywords are not finding me on the top, only combination keywords may hit my hubs. That is the biggest difference and the surest thing I've observed so far. Almost all my toy hubs used to be on first page (fewer on 2nd) under the most common keywords, now they are either on 2nd page (the best case), 3rd, or vanished. To me, that surely indicates overall penalization. Getting increased traffic for some individual hubs my be of many other factors including but not limited to proper backlinking strategies.

10. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

All that you say is fine Pc - only right now the good stuff ain't sitting square. I've found more crap in the last few days (looking for stuff, I'm still Joe Internet) than ever before.

Maybe that's a by-product of the change and it will disappear, who knows?

I could follow the 'point', had the stuff that's worse than the usual crap not started showing up when I perform a search.

Google is ticking me off on both counts - as a user and a content writer.

1. Misha profile image62

More reasons to start diversifying and finally start doing what it actually takes to rank well in BigG, Pretty Froggy smile

'lo Misha smile

I'm on with that the now. It was my plan, next step for this year. It's become my 'right now' step, it's moved up in my personal serps.

Barriers are not an excuse to finding a solution. When I get my millions, I'll send you a bottle of something cool and crisp lol

11. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Hopefully, things will level off. But they may be driving users away.

12. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

My very best "sales" hub currently gets when from 100 to 37 hits a day.  0 of them are Google.

Others are hanging in there.  My Amazon output is ugly now, though.

13. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

My adsense has completely vapourised. I'm seeing more traffic on my fluffy, informational hubs that earn next to nothing, but my travel and how to hubs are faring very badly. I hope this is only a temporary blip. Logic tells me that the cream must always rise to the top in the long run.

14. muratos profile image60
    muratosposted 13 years ago

I have traffic loss of 50 - 60% on Amazon related product reviews. Especially on US Google searches. I don't care other traffic much because they don't buy from US. If the rate continues, I will be losing $500 - $700 / month on Amazon purchases.

For now, let's not panic in any case. We all know that lots of qualified writers generate top rated content on hubpages and it is surely not a content farm. It is the main reason I stick to hubpages and never tried writing for other article sharing websites.

If apparent garbage eHow, snipsly etc. continues to be ranked, I believe Google will lose lots of prestige.

Let's wait a month and see the results. I believe Hubpages owners are already in contact with Google about the unfair issue.

If garbage ranks well, they'll lose more than prestige. They'll lose an empire.

2. snakebaby profile image67

Honestly, if the junks stay afloat and do not get removed in the future, then hubpages can be seen as a content farm, regardless of its ultimate concept and goals, like it or not. You can't claim your child did not kill someone after he did simply because he is your baby

15. Len Cannon profile image88

Whatever, I think the number one issue is that people were searching for something, they'd click on a HubPages link on the front page and go "Ugh, this is awful" and click away.

Really?

I am quite sure I came to HubPages because I had clicked on one or more SERP results and admired what I saw.  I wish I remembered which hubber or hubbers I found, because I'd like to thank them, but it definitely wasn't an "Uggh".

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
        Amanda Severnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I found HubPages after searching for some info on a herb. I found what I needed on one of Bard of Ely's hubs, and followed the links to other hubs. I was soon hooked.

1. sunforged profile image70

The first I hub I saw came up in a search linked at yahoo answers, it was awful in content and style, it was on an ebay related topic. I figured I could do that better, researched HubPages , read great things about Hubpages and decided to join up and write my own ebay series

2. frogdropping profile image78

That doesn't hold up. Far too many people here write far better than to deserve a reaction based upon that being the reason.

Many don't write for money, they publish highly relevant, well researched and well written articles simply because they enjoy writing and sharing.

Of all the hubbers on this site, there are quite possibly just as many that write for pleasure as they do for income. And neither is mutally exclusive with income either - that's an individual thing.

But HubPages has far more class about it than allowing users to publish page after page of useless, low-level content.

3. Susana S profile image92

I guess if that was measured and it met a certain threshold percentage it could make a difference, but the problem is that the algo change is damaging good content as well as bad. e.g. my average time on page is between 4-6 minutes and I've lost about 2,000 uniques a day.

Not only that, the search results are a lot worse than I've ever seen them.

1. Len Cannon profile image88
        Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The point isn't that all of HubPages is bad content or that YOURS specifically is bad content. Obviously I have a (relatively) positive opinion of my own work, at the very least.

I feel like Google was pretty straightforward in saying, though, that sites that users did not feel produced useful content was knocked down.  And I feel like that must be the general impression people get when they a random HP return came back.

I'll only talk about what I know: search on HubPages for articles about how to make gold in World of Warcraft.  For every article written by someone who has actually played the game and has legitimate, useful strategies for earning gold there are 10 or more articles from someone who knows it is a good keyword and has written a useless strategy guide. Or worse yet, they're just Chinese farmers trying to get people to buy illegal services from their websites.

The problem is that the ones who knew how to promote the right set of keywords are the ones a lot of people see when they search HP, not the intelligent, useful content. These people aren't usually the ones posting in these forums, though. People will usually get an earful if they make a post here and have incoherent content in their articles.  If you think I'm referring to "you", don't be. The type of person writing the worst content usually won't post on the forums because one slip up and they'll get an earful about inferior content.

So, yeah, I stand by my statement that a lot of people are going to come across articles and go "ugh." Obviously I like HubPages a lot and I've seen good articles from here turn up on Google, but I understand why Google's employees and volunteers might mark us down as a less than useful search result.

1. profile image0

Have you read my latest Hubpage? You seem a little down on the site, it might perk you up a little.

I read it - think next you should cook up a HubPages national anthem that we can all stand a sing when we log on in the morning wink

I tried doing something with "Oh, Canada" but HubPages needs another syllable..

But 'God save our HubPages, long live our HubPages' scans quite nicely smile

Sheesh.  I'm an atheist, I can't sing that!  smile

2. ThomasE profile image67
                ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hm...

god save our gracious hubs,
                long live our hopeless hubs,
                god save our hubs,
                send us our visitors,
                happy and generous,
                long to click all our ads,
                god save our hubs.

I'd do the other five verses, but no one can ever remember them anyway.

1. David 470 profile image80
                  David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. snakebaby profile image67

big_smile I've already sung it once, and can't wait for the rest. Please continue...

There is a hubpages national anthem. I have it linked in my own hub about national anthems. ;->

2. Susana S profile image92

Oh, I know it wasn't personal Len and I know there is a lot of shite on here that should be removed. It's just frustrating for me to see good content getting swept away with the bad, as that is the antithesis to the point of the algo change.

As far as I can see at the moment (though it could change a lot over the next few months) google have fu**ed up for searchers as well as those who produce high quality content.

4. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure that the Hub of mine that just surged from around 500 visits from Google per day to just over 2000 in the last 24 hours isn't due to people going "Ugh.."

Strong content stays strong.  I think lots of folks here are just being a tad too impatient.  I don't think watching to see the results of the Google changes for a month is unrealistic.  Quite the opposite actually.

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
        wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.  I believe it's WAY too early to start trying to make heads or tails of the new algo.  There's just not enough data yet, quite frankly.  We can speculate until the cows come home, panic and scream about this so-called "apocalypse", stop publishing, unpublish, etc...  But, the latter two do nothing but harm HP as a whole. 

These fluctuations are part of making money online.  I look at my income from HP much as I do the stock market.  I can't worry about the day to day dips and dives.  Nor do I jump for joy with the out of the ordinary highs.  I have to consider the long term without panicking and pulling out all my money (hubs).  So far, the return has been quite nice.  I'm in it for the long haul and the investment has been more than worthwhile the time.

In the meantime, keep publishing quality content AND working on diversifying.  No one should have all their eggs in any one basket.

16. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

I think SF is closest.  Because so many people (myself included) have seen significant drops in HP traffic, it is reasonable to assume that the hubpages domain "trust" was devalued. 

Product related hubs for me are down the hardest.  My HP income has definitely been hit hard - both adsense and amazon.

17. Spacey Gracey profile image40

I'm with Misha - I just can't see how links could have a negative effect, otherwise the next big game will be to throw loads of crap links at your competition.

Although my hubs with natural backlinks tanked too - they were mostly linked in relevant discussion forums so maybe the forums are worthless to because anyone can plant a link.

1. Misha profile image62

Well, forums were here long before the web2, but they certainly can be looked at as a part of web2 nowadays, so this might explain what you are seeing. smile

18. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

backlinks to me seem like a great security bridge..

19. Susana S profile image92

I don't create a lot of links and especially not from web 2.0 so it's unlikely that's the cause of my own traffic drop, but I'm sure that could be affecting other hubbers rankings. I've used a lot of RSS promotion, so that could be a minus. The one hub I have made more of an effort to backlink consistently is one that is holding up.....so far anyway.

A loss of Google trust is definitely likely, but that wouldn't explain why some hubs, such as some of froggie's, are going up in serps. It's hard to get a handle on any of this.

It seems like a totally mixed bag so far. Some peoples product hubs are doing ok, others have taken a big hit. Some info hubs are staying put, others are tanking. I still need to look at onpage optimization, haven't had a chance yet.

20. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

One of the strangest things I have seen is how the click percent is so low now. My click through with adsense has been very low the last week.

This includes on my own sites. Not sure why that would happen. It's like your getting visits from people not interested in your stuff. hmm

1. Misha profile image62

Adsense always works in mysterious ways. My best working hypothesis so far is that with the shift in rankings the demographics of your visitors change. This does not explain CPC fluctuations, though.

2. Pcunix profile image91

I'm not seeing that at my site.  Traffic is normal, CTR is normal, but RPM is down by a third.

3. Susana S profile image92

Sorry to hear it Bill but you make an interesting point. Going by many of the search results I've seen over the last week you could well be right about them attracting the wrong visitors.

In another thread I was explaining what pages are above me now for "falling out of love" and two of the pages are not what a searcher would be looking for hmm Visitors to those pages are not going to be hanging around long.

4. sunforged profile image70

My ecPm has dropped 66% - i am not an adsense focused writer outside of using the hub format for optimal positioning - this optimal positioning is the same positioning that adsense themselves will send you an email about and suggest if you ARE NOT using it.

I focus on products and 3rd party services and always did well in conversion ratios because my traffic was "interested in that stuff" - the scenario you describe would be exactly what would give you a boost in adsense! unfulfilled traffic is what clicks adsense - fulfilled traffic reads or buys.

Im def seeing a demo shift far more than a traffic shift but I havent figured out why.

I may just shift to adwords for a few months to make up for that shift smile

21. kev8 profile image60
    kev8posted 13 years ago

Hi guys,

I have a theory. Is it possible that google is trying eliminate the practice of affiliate marketing or are trying to make it more difficult?

They have a new service called google shopping http://www.google.com/prdhp?hl=en&tab=ff in beta phase. They may be trying to encourage price comparison and product reviews etc being done via this site rather than by affiliates as it is currently done. This would result in them earning a serious amount of $$$ and would create a better environment for online shoppers

This is just an idea a friend mentioned to me and I am trying to work out if its rubbish or not.Any insights would be very welcome.

Dumb question but I need to double check I have understood this - will Google get a kick back for products sold through the links? Or only ad revenue from the pink boxes top and bottom?

1. kev8 profile image60
        kev8posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I presume they will have the same agreements with Amazon,ebay etc that we have if not better.

2. Bill Manning profile image68
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Google already has their own affiliate biz:
      http://www.google.com/ads/affiliatenetwork/

So making affiliate marketing hard would be shooting themselves also.

1. kev8 profile image60

Never knew that, thanks. But wouldnt Google shopping be a lot more profitable???

1. Bill Manning profile image68

I think they want to do a bit of everything. smile

3. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That sure would bring up anti-trust issues with DOJ.  Harm affiliates and promote their own product service.

Of course.  And yiu can bet they have lawyers that do nothing but think about that all day long.

I do believe that, sooner or later, Google will have to be broken up. They are getting far too powerful.

22. Spacey Gracey profile image40

And I'm not really understanding how duplicate content works anyway. Since Thursdays change I have spent hours and hours researching a topic and very often the put of the top 10 results are 5 blogs that have cut and pasted the press release, even when I know there is other related content out there. Very frustrating as a Google user.

You know what they say, the more things change the more they remand the same. wink

23. Len Cannon profile image88

I don't feel like I'm too down on it. I think HubPages makes it easy to create eye-pleasing layouts for even the most novice designer, has a generous revenue share program, and lets a lot of good writers succeed. But I think it is only realistic that any type of completely open platform is going to produce a lot of junk.  The problem, obviously, was that a lot of junk was turning up in search results instead of AAA material.

My only interest is seeing the best of HubPages stay on top.  I can't get mad at other people for seeing something that didn't help answer their search query wanting to avoid future articles, though.

Well, if that is the cause (and remember: we don't know that it is), it's easy to deal with.  As I said before, you just ask for a  citizen posse to flag stuff and put it on an unpublish list when the flagging hits a certain threshold.

You then send an email to the affected hubber telling them that their hub may be unpublished in X number of days unless they request an appeal.  This eliminates vendettas and gives people a chance to fix up any content that needs it.  Real spammers won't bother to appeal, thus saving time and effort by staff.

Hubs by brand new hubbers should get unplublished immeditely, not later.

If you get no response, it stays on the unpublish list and goes away at the appointed time. If it is appealed and the staff sees that there is nothing wrong, they remove it from the list and possibly add it to another list that prevents it from going there again.

But - BUT - first you need to know that this really is the problem.  It would be foolish to do this and gain nothing.

1. shibashake profile image82
        shibashakeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"As I said before, you just ask for a  citizen posse to flag stuff and put it on an unpublish list when the flagging hits a certain threshold."

I think this is not as easy as it looks. In particular, you need to get a citizen posse that represents Joe Internet. And to make matters even more complex, Joe Internet changes from keyword group to keyword group.

Many sites review articles before publication and those have not necessarily fared well with the new Google algo. either.

As Len said, I may think my hubs are brilliant, but there are probably a whole bunch of people who think they are crap. Ultimately, it is about numbers - what do the majority of people who search for my content think? That is difficult to get at and that is what Google spends a lot of time and resources trying to do.

The posse is only to take the work off staff. 

It IS as easy as it looks.  People keep misinterpreting this and jumping to the conclusion that the posse would be damning hubs forever. That's not the intent - it is only to filter out the definite spammers so that staff isn't wasting time making decisions on them.

What I view as a definite spammer, will be different from what you view as a definite spammer, will be different from what HubPages views as a definite spammer, will be different from what Google views as a definite spammer.

In the end, Google's view matters most. All the rest will make little difference to the situation at hand.

I agree and said so.

Sheesh.

If - IF, IF, IF - the problem turns out to be that HP has too much spammer crap, we CAN get rid of it quickly with a posse and spammers will NOT bother to ask to be reinstated (and won't be if they do ask).

If this is NOT the issue, this idea still could help allieve some staff work, so I stil think it might be a good idea,

LOL, I understand your frustration.

I agree with what Len and others have said that the problem is likely associated, in some large part, to spammer crap.

But the problem is *how* to identify what Google considers to be spammer crap. Getting a posse together will not help until we first identify what 'crap' is, as viewed by Google.

I think that is what many people are working hard to do.

We do NOT know that it is associated with crap.  It may be and I wou;d LOVE to see HP clean up that stuff but we do not KNOW that.

And I said before: there is no reason to do this until we do know.

If it is not for *perceived* spam content or spam links, what else would a site be dinged for by Google?

24. Spacey Gracey profile image40

Aside from hanging around on the forum I am doing some work. Having picked my way through the rubbish search results that should yahoo answers and some about.com entries, I avoided anything dated 2009 or earlier, found something I wanted, visited the page, which redirected me to another page, and that link was broken............aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

This is so frustrating.

25. Spacey Gracey profile image40

OK - I've got to do the school run. You've got an hour, I want this whole algo mess sorted out by the time I come back- you kids had better come up with a good solution while I'm gone smile Otherwise it'll be back on the whiskey and coke for me tonight.

26. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 13 years ago

All I know is that I was earning good money in nov, dec, and jan. Earnings were steadily on the rise until Feb. In Feb. my sales dropped more then 75%

Not very Happy at all!

1. kev8 profile image60

I am nearly the exact same actually. Mine dropped at the start of Feb. Long before people started mentioning the algo change. When did this change take place exactly??

1. Midasfx profile image67
        Midasfxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know when it changed, but it certainly has changed things a lot. My amazon earnings went from 4 figures per month, to barely 3.    :-(

27. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Well my best hub dropped from #1 to #2 on google, and has been beaten by a 3 year old site with 11,000 external backlinks.
    So, Google was cleaning up the system, were they?

28. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Not sure if this is relevant but I followed a link on a Hubs news capsule and read this

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/03/ … e-effects/

maybe things will improve soon if they are already making adjustments.

1. IzzyM profile image87

According to that article they made adjustments Monday night/Tuesday morning and it helped some people, but I've seen no improvements so guess it wasn't designed for us. sad

2. shibashake profile image82

Very interesting article.

Seems like they noticed it was a clear error and they fixed it.

Also good to know reporters in high places. big_smile

29. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

Anything I put on HP now will have a very unique title and not have been written by anyone else.  I suggest that everyone else do the same.

I have noticed a trend in these two bullets made by the poster:

Google is favouring older content (hence the 1997 forum posts clogging up the results)

I've noticed that one of the huge hits I've had is against other Hubbers.  In my opinion Google has upped it's duplicate content to include similar titles on the same website.  In the past I'd see a dropdown menu of other content on HP that has a similar title.  Now I Have several hubs (that were on the first page of google) that aren't even in site.  Essentially we are all beating each other because are content is so similar and newer hubs are "duplicates" in googles eyes. 

Older product hubs are faring better than newer product hubs.

Updated content that I've written this year is fairing poorly against content that Hubbers wrote many years ago on similar subjects.

That's always been my practice everywhere.

30. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I disagree. If we start to follow this approach then there will be hardly any content here on hubpages(or anywhere else). Take example of 'samsung galaxy tab' keywords, how many possible unique combinations of title you can make that will favor search engine crawling for this keyword ? You have no control over unique title and content on the web. These two things(title & content) will be rehashed or reblogged(not pointing to spun) by everyone. Google is playing authority card to weed out reviews or personal opinion on things to provide better results.

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not really about disagreeing or agreeing.  It's just what I've seen.  If you want to do well on HP, then you are going to need a unique title despite how different your content or how much better written it is than the other person.  It's not fair and it's not right, it's just the way it seems to be now.

If you want to write a title that has similar content, then it may be necessary to make your own niche site and write it there.

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Before this update many product hubs performed well even with long tail keywords and surpassed content from original product authors. It's not even about quality of content during that time because crowdsourced sites did well before this update from google. In case of 'paid journalist' type content farms there are editors who restrict single page for unique title/topic. We can't do this here because this is crowdsourced platform and every page has a chance of competing with similar other titles/topics on web (and within the same platform).

Now that content farms are slapped this strategy does make sense but we're not sure for how long things will remain like this.

31. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 13 years ago

Just got an advertising email from Chitika, "Recently, search engine algorithm changes caused many publishers' revenue to drop significantly - as much as 10% in some cases."

I wish my earnings only dropped 10%, thats almost a win compared to what my account is actually showing.

32. Susana S profile image92

Ok, so I've had my head in my analytics this afternoon and I must say I am puzzled. According to my searches on google.com I am still number 1 for my main keyphrase, yet when I compare the google traffic for this week vs last week for that phrase it shows a 50% drop. Do you think they are split testing? ie: some data centres showing my page first and others using other search results. I can't think of any other reason for it - can anyone explain?

Here's a link to a screen shot (you would need xray specs to see it properly in here)

http://img845.imageshack.us/i/analytics2.png/

33. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Change your IP address before searching and check if you still rank for the keyphrase.

I don't know how to do that tongue Can you check the phrase for me? It's "how soon can you tell if you are pregnant"

smile

Use Scroogle.org then.

And your hub is at the top on Google and Scroogle.

And Bing.

I heard scroogle was not up to date with the google algo changes, but I'll try it.

Edit - Showing #1 on scroggle.....

You are number 1 on Google for ""how soon can you tell if you are pregnant""

2. wordscribe43 profile image90

I see your hub at number 5 on Google...  just under the Mayo Clinic's site.

Edit:  Oops, number one for the exact phrase.  Sorry.

Screenshot please smile that way it's possible to see what other pages are ranking higher.

Edited above:  number one for the exact phrase.  Had a brain fart and forgot the quotes...

LOL. Good to see ya on forums.

Right back atcha... It's just one of those days, I guess.  hmm

Oh I don't usually do the quotes. Can you guys do the search without quotes please?

P.S. great to see you! How are your hubs faring?

I did searched without quotes and result is the same.

Thanks smile Downloading that browser right now smile Going to check it out.....

2. wordscribe43 profile image90

I saw your hub at number 5 as a broad phrase, Susana.

Good to see you, too!

Thanks wordy smile So you're seeing number 5 and others are seeing number 1......Hmmm it still says #1 for me using this incognito browser....apparently I am in Wisconsin smile

There's something going on here. I like my split test idea tongue

Could be...  Here's a screenshot for clarification... sorry it's so small.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/wordscribe43/Hubpages/forums.png

3. skyfire profile image79

#1 Google.com
        #1 Google.co.in

I'm not sure about split testing theory. This drop is really confusing to me.

By the way you can use Xerobank for proxy browsing.

Cheers Sky, that's handy to know!

I have you at number 4 for that phrase when using SEO Quake that shows me what Google.com would show.

I am now seriously concerned that if this has not yet rolled out across the whole of the US and I have already lost around 70% of my income I am totally buggered really.

From talking to other people who have a lot of product reviews on Hubpages, they are taking the biggest hit. It's a real bummer and I feel your loss (big time) sad

4. snakebaby profile image67

You are #4 at 6:10 EST, it's just as good as #1 in my mind

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it smile #4 is not really as good as #1 because it means going from earning around $50 a month on that hub to a lot less sad

1. snakebaby profile image67

Are you sure? I thought people click on #1 as many times as listings after that, as long as they are on top of the first page

Yes, I'm sure. Did you see the link to the click distribution on the serps? It's here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/69120?p … ost1509969

5. sacramento girl profile image60
        sacramento girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

1st result is Mayo Clinic.

In 2006, AOL mistakenly released a giant pile of data about internet use (was a huge scandal - people were fired)  A #1 result in the serps gets nearly ten times the clicks as a number 4.

http://www.free-seo-news.com/newsletter226.htm

If #1 is a well known highly admired business like the Mayo Clinic, it's probably even more.

34. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 13 years ago

Hey! Squidoo has bounced back

http://www.quantcast.com/squidoo.com

but Hubpages and Articlesbase languish

http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

http://www.quantcast.com/articlesbase.com

It's a Worry!

1. Enni82 profile image61
      Enni82posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What does HubPages have to say on the new Google changes? Is there an official post?

1. WebbyAvatar profile image57
        WebbyAvatarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Visit blog.hubpages.com to read it smile

1. Enni82 profile image61
          Enni82posted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMW there... Thanks.

35. Tomygun profile image68
    Tomygunposted 13 years ago

For the starters - my content got hit slightly (15%), but I was fearing, it will go down more, so no panicking here. I am trying to put things up here and I just simply don't understand some things, maybe you could help me. Let's say, for the first time Google got in the second place after Facebook being the most visited website of 2010. That means that Google is losing advertisers' money and trust, because part of them are now going to Facebook to place their ads. This means, we are losing our money which comes from advertisers. The ad placement idea in Facebook is pretty attractive, since people usually spend less time on Google (search+find+exit) and more time on Facebook (chat+games+friends+news). Besides you can customize your ads selecting gender, age, location, time of show up and other things. Could this recent algorithm change somehow be related to Facebook slapping Google big time and Google trying desperate measures? Besides, have you noticed how drastically the Click through ratio has diminished? These are just my reasonings...

I have not seen diminished traffic or diminished CTR, but I AM seeing lower RPM. That concerns me, but there are many possible reasons for that, so no panic (yet).

I am worried about Facebook.  They don't offer us any incentive to publish there (and it is hardly a good format for that anyway).

It is possible to use FB to draw traffic to your site, but I am astonished by how often people will return to Facebook to comment on the links provided.  Very insular, and that's not good. When I need my daughter to read something I had to send in email, I have to go to FB to tell her to read her email - otherwise she never looks at it!

Is Google concerned? I would think so.

36. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Is everybody's click through rate down? Mine has halved and it wasn't high to start with.

On a brighter note...the traffic on my best hub has crept back up to where it was before last Thursday, though it's still down in the SERPS.

I'm still down about 20% overall, but when the change first kicked in, I dropped over 30% (it seemed like more) so should we be cautiously optimistic?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My click through rate is slightly down, my viewings are still down by about 300 per day (15% or thereabouts), but my earnings are up by about a third, which is still not a large amount of actual money, but definitely improved, just not sure if this is coincidental or not.

1. IzzyM profile image87

You go girl!! Increased earnings eh? Who cares about the traffic then!!
        My earnings are down but hey...tomorrow is another day and am feeling more hopeful already.

LOL, I have probably jinxed it now by announcing it here!!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Does that happen to you too? It does me. I'm wary looking at my stats now in case they go wonky again. They usually do if I announce anything.

Edit: mind you they didn't stop dropping when I reported on the forum they were on the way down!

Well touch wood, I haven't found it happens here on Hubpages yet.... but never say never!!

37. sunforged profile image70

I have a cool chart somewhere that shows  what percentage of visitors clickthrough for each top ten position in the search returns.

ill go look for it ( its obviously general but I believe the data is gleaned from multiple terms and niches)

Yeah I have that somewhere too...

Aah here it is....
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4713459_f248.jpg

Here's the link to it because it's hard to see the figures: http://www.bryanphelps.com/wp-content/u … n-serp.jpg

I'm really turned off with the first 5 search results on google. This heatmap is switched to 180 degrees for my personal search queries. LOL.

Too true sky! Sad but true....

2. Spacey Gracey profile image40

And I don't think you are alone. Some of my hubs have recovered a good chunk of traffic without moving back up the rankings. My big earner that used to get around 800-900 views per day, is now languishing in 9th place, but is now back to getting 600 views today.

So either what I see on the results page for that term is not that same as across the US, or people are dissatisfied with the search results and are continuing to scroll down the page.

The plot thickens.

Mark I agree with you, but why do Google keep on insisting that all their metrics say this change has worked?

38. accofranco profile image78
    accofrancoposted 13 years ago

Good contents with little or no linking still ranks high. my how to know man love hub is still on google no. 4 search result and some others...and earnings have continued to rise too...u can search for that key phrase and see...

write good hubs, whether promo or not, it will rank high...

39. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

Pretty sure they are going to have to fix it and we will not be suffering so badly in the end. The search results I am getting as a searcher are horrible - hub on the way.

Seriously - I just did a search and got 4 results from the same company followed by 4 from another company - then a wikipedia entry. Then 2 more results from the company that was i spots 1-4.

So the entire front page was dominated by 2 lousy companies and wikipedia.

They have not rolled this change out to the rest of the world yet because it is broken.

In any case - when they do and if they do not change it - you have already lost the income you are going to lose. Or - most of it. I can lose all my Indian, Singaporean etc traffic and I bet my eCPM will rise. lol

1. moondive profile image57
      moondiveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mark i really like your comments:)

Yep the search results are worse than poor - really struggling to find what I am looking for on page 1 or 2 in most cases. I hope you are right about google fixing it - like skyfire says the heat map must have reversed for most searches....unless most people are happy with tat.

I'm looking forward to reading that hub already big_smile

I disagree.

Your examples of poor results are actually examples of poor searching.  If I want to know about how different beans taste, I'd Google "coffee bean taste" and if I want to know about growing, "coffee bean growing" gives me good results. "Coffee beans" gives me exactly what I'd expect - people selling coffee.

Are they the BEST results?  That I do not know, so, yes, Google may have screwed to pooch, but that would require a different analysis.

Odd you do not apply that logic to buying coffee beans.

When I want to know where to buy coffee beans I type in "where to buy coffee beans" or "best place to buy coffee beans."

And you said you were not religious. wink

Of course - you could also head on over the the MSN lab - see if they think there is any commercial intention behind the term "coffee bean." lol

Being a lazy sort, I always try the fewest words first.   So, yes, I type "Keurig" when I want to buy K-cups and I'd just type "coffee" if I wanted to buy coffee.

If I don't get what I want, I add words.  That's nothing new.

Google isn't broken.  It may be bent.

Not arguing about the laziness factor - but you seem to think commercial results for all search terms is the right direction. Why is that?

I specifically picked a search term that had no bias either way and that MSN said was of low commercial intention.

They have to pick something for an ambiguous search - mixing in this that and everything is worse, in my opinion.

I certainly agree about multiple results from the same site - that's dumb and they need to fix that.

I don't agree that showing sellers is horrible for an an ambiguous search term.

Someone at your hub said "Will we now need to take a three week course on how to use google search?"

No.  But you do need to refine your searches sometimes and that has always been true.

That may be the case - but this is heavily weighted in favor of "authority" and commercial only sites right now.

Why would you want that? Most times people looking for something don't know what they are looking for. If I enter an ambiguous term - I want mixed results - not heavily commercial only. And not Big Boys Page Rank 6 and Above Club only either. Most small Internet retailers must be tearing their hair out right now. 

Seems to me you are just defending the faith. wink

Thanks - the hub is spot on!

3. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point, Mark. I was just about to post and mention that the folks who are reporting that their traffic/earnings are fine ought to check their traffic sources.

I've seen a 60% drop in traffic for HP, although my personal sites are fine. But over 80% of my HP traffic comes from Google.com. The hubbers whose traffic relies more heavily on internal visitors, Google.ca, Google.au, etc. wouldn't feel a hit now. But they probably will feel it later.

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
        Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It has been almost a week, and my traffic is worse today than it was shortly after the farmer update.  It is down 50% (almost exactly).  Worse, my adsense is down 70-80% since the change and amazon has dried up to a desolate wasteland.

I don't do much external linking which leads me to believe that SF was spot on with the theory that internal linking was devalued.

The irony is that IF that theory is right, the end result will either be 1) an accepted end-state of dropped traffic or 2) lots of increased external backlinking to get the hubs back up to where they were.  I don't necessarily think that that is the desired endstate by G. 

***Stand by for a PCUNIX slap***  tongue

1. IzzyM profile image87

Here's something interesting Mutiny. I backlinked nearly all my hubs a little bit, then from about August last year through to January, I made a little routine up and backlinked each hub round quite a few sites just after publishing.

Then in the middle of January I stopped and concentrated on just writing hubs with no backlinking.

I've just checked and NONE of the 39 hubs I have published in the past month (going back to almost the start of February) are getting any google.com traffic at all.

My backlinked hubs, however, are doing much better. Some have dropped but they are still getting some traffic.

40. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

I have managed to give myself a migraine trying to sort this all out. I have barely glanced at HP and Google changes due to the death of my daughter's classmate. Last night I logged on to see that my traffic itself hasn't changed much, but was given a warning by Google adsense that there were unauthorized adds being placed on my webpage. (I only write for HubPages.) So that send me down a spiral trying to figure out the merge between Google and Feedburner. I still haven't figured out if this is the unauthorized site they were talking about and what it means.
    translate.googleusercontent.com
    I do know that I have my work cut out for me. I was just seeing an increase in traffic and profit before these changes and am not sure how bad they will effect me. My informative hubs seem to be holding their own. I have seen an increase in my humor hubs. I have written such a large variety of hubs, that I haven't seen too many changes. Of course most of my traffic comes from HubPages. 
    For now, I am still trying to straighten out what happened to my adsense, the linking between pages, and what is going to be considered substandard when the smoke clears.
    Sorry I couldn't help much.

1. MyWebs profile image76
      MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

googleusercontent.com is the domain Google uses when you look at Google's cached version of your page when searching Google.com. I'm pretty sure translate.googleusercontent.com is the subdomain they serve up translations into other languages from.

It is safe to add webcache.googleusercontent.com &  translate.googleusercontent.com to your AdSense under "Allowed Sites" section since it is part of Google. Otherwise any clicks coming from there won't be credited to your account.

Proof it is owned by Google: http://www.robtex.com/dns/translate.goo … ml#records shows the primary DNS server is ns1.google.com

1. tlpoague profile image81
        tlpoagueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! That has helped alot.

41. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I'm still seeing my click through percent way, way down. Mostly on my main site I normally get most of my clicks.

Guess I gotta work on my other sites more and make more sites. hmm

42. Susana S profile image92

Maybe it's time for an exodus to duckduckgo

Much better search results for sure and they don't collect any data from you.

The problem is not what search engines we use but what the masses use. Same goes for browsers, IE is the worst browser of all to use yet most use it because that is all they know.

I know Bill smile But I would just laugh my head off if people got so fed up with google's now crappy search results that they made a permanent change.

2. skyfire profile image79

Problem exists only if we think of this change as against our income streams. Google screwed one set of marketers only to favor another whereas there is hardly any change in user satisfaction. In fact quality of search after this update is much worst than previous search results. We can change search engines and to some extent even ask readers to switch to other search engines. But gaming will go on in loop no matter which search engine we (as user or marketer) choose.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems that the favoured ones are MFA's, scraped splogs and big business hmm And as for user satisfaction, I would have thought that's gone down, not up smile

Internet marketers will work out how the algo has hit and then we will try and provide google what it wants. I wouldn't call that gaming (though some will game to get crap ranked high, if they even need to bother, lol), no it's more about knowing what daddy G is looking for and trying to please him.

3. ThomasE profile image67

I hope not, as far as I can see they don't rank any of my stuff at all.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that about my stuff, when I tried using duckduckgo.

Oh, that's not good, maybe Bing then? lol

43. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

Just from what I have seen so far in my own searches, commercial sites seem to be far outranking any other sites at the moment.
    This wasn't the case before the change, and it may go switch back.
    But to the casual observer, it looks like commercial sites are getting more weight now.

As far as my own Hubs, some popular ones have tanked, but some of my Hubs that were pretty much ignored before have risen to the top.

44. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

Anyone who listened to the 'SEO experts'needs to forget what they think they learnt and start writing content that is worthwhile.

PC Unix is right. Google wants happy searchers or its whole business model is undermined. Facebook stands ready to suck in the advertising money. Twitter could take a big piece when it monetizes. Even sites like Groupon are siphoning off revenue from Google.

1. ThomasE profile image67

Well, while PCUnix says a lot of sense on a lot of issues, the truth is if you go on the web forums at the moment you find people with entirely white hat original sites that have been crushed over this algorithm change. People who have devoted the last ten years to building really good sites.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google seems to be trying to favor more professional sites and hit amateurish content just written for adsense. This is tough on most of us here. It is probably tough on a lot of perfectly white hat sites too.

45. Will Apse profile image89

'no it's more about knowing what daddy G is looking for and trying to please him.'

This is not about your father, Susana S

Thanks for that....roll

46. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Is anyone else's traffic tanking again? Has the roll out to the other sites started?

1. Aya Katz profile image83

It seems to be consistently bad. I published a hub yesterday, and none of my hits on it so far has been from Google.com. I did get one hit from Google.uk, though.

On a 4000 word high quality hub I published last week, I have only had 7 hits from Google.com so far. That is a tiny fraction of my traffic on that hub.

I used to get really good organic traffic from Google.

2. skyfire profile image79

No changes observed on Non-US Google channels. Product hubs are going down for me if that's what you're asking. Informational topics (non-us) are doing just fine atleast for now. I think there is going to be consistent drop for product hubs unless google fix things.

47. Susana S profile image92

I've read tonnes over the last few days about this and one idea I've come across that seems to be reasonable is that websites with more prominent adsense ads and affiliate links are the ones hit hardest. That would make sense in relation to hubpages because adsense is in your face when you hit a hub.

I was going to say it makes sense for the amazon focussed hubs too, but while the amazon capsules obviously do contain affiliate links, they are no follow.

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/googles-farm … -vs-losers

48. sunforged profile image70

Google results really, really suck right now!

a friend complained about the rise in gas prices in the US, so I responded (tried) by sharing global stats ..

"worldwide gas price comparison"

most of the returns are from 2008! .. no stinking relevance at all!

There is no way its going to stay this way, its just too bad.

They kind of have admitted that they know their algo is dumb right now

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1509946

So true - it's really getting me irritated!

I did the search....

1st result from 2005

2nd from 2008

3rd 2009 (even though it says "as of this week" in title, lol)

4th wikipedia

5th - at last a result from this year! Still not very useful

6th showing data from 2009

7th from 2007

8th - no info on page, ha ha

9th from 2008

10th - looks promising but page won't load

Beyond pants is all I can say.

Do you think that forum post is really an admission?

I think its more telling than any of the high PR statements they would make elsewhere.

They seem to be admitting the algo needs to do some learning. Also, the list of sites complaining is rather interesting (at least to me) as they are not the type of sites that will come up in big traffic comparisons or PR releases .. so they seem like better indicators to me.

1. Will Apse profile image89

So we have all just noticed that Google is not perfect.

I wonder what brought this on...

Gosh - I knew you were not very clued in but I would have thought even you could have managed to work out that this was bought on by a large drop in traffic from google caused by skewed search results.  wink

I realize you are probably very happy that some of us are taking a knock on our income, but still. Just write a few more "5 best amazon wotsits" hubs - you will be fine. Remember - the cream always rises to the top. lol

1. profile image0

I wish that my 5 best Amazon wotsits hubs would rise to the top! As it happens, I am more understanding of their demise, it is my non-product hubs with 1400 words of real substance which I want to move back to the top. Amazon can go, be gone with you, if my AdSense comes back wink

Wait until this rolls out to the non-US sites. wink

I already know how much money I am losing - you won't know until that happens. lol

Yeah - real substance? Quotes from Winston Churchill? lol

1. profile image0

Not sure why I was worthy of that dig Mark, or why the further demise in my earnings is funny, but you have plenty of "five best" hubs too hmm 

Contrary to your perception I do have some good quality hubs: http://hubpages.com/hub/Cheap-Spanish-P … y-In-Spain

But that aside, how do you know how much you are losing? You must stand to lose something from the non-US traffic too.

Sorry - I thought you were implying that no product review hubs had any substance and were "more understanding of their demise."

Which is why I made a dig back. Because - as you say - I have plenty of five best amazon wotsit hubs. Where do you think Will got the idea from? wink

Cheer up Ryan - it will get worse before it gets better. lol

2. Will Apse profile image89

Lashing out really doesn't deal with the issues that are a problem. In any situation.

I suggest taking your own advice. This is not about your mother. wink

I went to the thread, read a lot of the comments there and like you said, these are top quality websites that have had huge drops. Most are pretty irked that scraper sites and spammy sites are on page one when their stuff has moved to page 22 or beyond.

I really feel for them after their years of hard word.

Something's gotta give....hmm

My sentiments exactly. I'm kinda saddened at one or two hubbers that come across as condescending, almost as though there's a 'ha ha ha' mentality.

Well all I can say is this: some of us have worked our butts off to make a living online. And I mean really worked hard. And just because google decided to rid the 'net of crap does not mean the rest of us should be penalised. And I include HubPages, the admin team, the coders, everyone.

Putting people into financial difficulty through no fault of their own is nothing to be proud, or to celebrate. A condescending, stopping short of sneering attitude is mean-spirited, plain and simple.

For those of you out there that think our musings and concerns are nothing short of our own fault ... happy now?

1. Misha profile image62

Working hard and working smart are two altogether different animals Andria, with altogether different results, and you know this as good as I do. smile

lol Misha. Smart then. But for my part I had to work hard because I didn't know anything about what I was doing. Different now, working smart is more apt.

To start with I just worked hard, blundering around I guess. In fact I still work hard now, I just use my time differently so tongue @ you.

1. Misha profile image62

tongue back @ ya ♥

2. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed the OLD dated search results also.
      Making older articles top in searches does not mean it is relevant to today.

49. Will Apse profile image89

You could try this search:'rise in gas prices in the US'.

Plenty of info.

Why do you think searching for 'worldwide gas price comparison' will bring up info on 'rise in gas prices in the US'?

I wouldnt, I searched for what I wanted... a comparison of gas prices worldwide, (you can tell this because i used the search term "comparison of gas prices worldwide" - see how that works?

For some reason your response annoys me.

You must work for google smile ..same screwed logic and lack of reading comprehension

in a shallow attempt to be nicer -

person A bemoans US gas prices , person B responds with worldwide gas comparison chart .. "at least you dont live in Oslo"

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/ … gasprices/

1. ThomasE profile image67

I was answering a webanswers question on this, the gas price where I am  in the UK works out to just over $10 a gallon... and we have lower prices compared to iceland and norway.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

the search results are terrible.  I've ended up going to page 2 or 3 to find a decent article.
      I hope big G gets it figured out.

1. profile image0

The last 3 searches that I have done have resulted in me finding the nearest "content farm" for the best answer, generally at #8 or #9, life was so much easier when I didn't have to scroll to the bottom of the page lol

Seriously though, I had a specific query relating to Createspace, the first 5 articles were from Amazon themselves - none of the answered my question. Then I found an eHow article in #6, not too bad but not comprehensive enough. At #8 was a Hubpages article, thank goodness for Hubpages, the only damn people who could answer my query. And that is true, genuinely the only people on the first page with a good enough answer to my very simple question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)