jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Please Rate One Of My Hubs

1. DaNoblest profile image61
    DaNoblestposted 5 years ago

Hi I am relatively new just having passed into my third week here. I have posted 8 hubs so far and would like a review on any of them since there is always room for improvement. I know my hub on tipping is kind of weak but it was something I did more for fun than anything. All of the other hubs I put much love into.

Pick one and let me know what you think. Or critique my profile even. I appreciate any feedback. =]

Start Here

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

I only had the time to read your profile page at this point. It is well written, humorous, informative, and interesting.

There are a few errors, which should be addressed. For example, you write "i" ("I"), and have sometimes confused past and present tense. You will definitely want to get rid of the triple paragraph break, which brings the final paragraph out of sight. Reduce it to a double paragraph, if anything.

I hope that others will comment on your hubs, or I may return to do so at some point.

DaNoblestposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you very much for the feedback and your time. I began to correct the errors you have kindly pointed out. I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out the past and present  tense errors though. =]

3. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

I don't read much, not much time or interest but I have read two of yours DaNoblest (that's a high number for me) and they are well written and entertaining.

I can't 'rate' them as such, only say they are worth a look.

So, er, go have a look at DaNoblest.

Lol thanks mark!

4. Sally's Trove profile image99
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

You have a rich background...you have many experiences and interests. It's clear to me that you are thoughtful and intelligent and that you love writing.

If you want to write on HubPages and be successful at it, you have to take the chatty, informal aspects out of your writing.

WE had a clue for you...if you want to IM, "i" instead of "I"  is fine. It's not fine here. You clearly have a good command of the language, but you let the informality of chat infiltrate your writing.

There are many HubPages writers who know how to make both excellence in language and Hub design work for them. Take a look at these HP writers: Robie2, Christoph Reilly, Habee. They are by no means the only HubPages writers who do this, but they are good examples.

I think you have a bright future as a writer. Just recognize the difference between casual writing and writing for publication, and act on it.

Thank you I appreciate your feedback. The lowercase "i" has been a long time culprit of mine. They are typos that get by me her and there and I will work to correct them.

I am a bit unsure what you mean by informality. Do you mean I should use "we" instead of I in many cases?

I shall check out the hubbers you recommended and see if I can learn from them. Thank you again for your time =]

5. 0

You are welcome. Here were the issues that I noticed, corrections in parenthesis:

- would have ran away (would have run away)

- screaming if I knew (screaming if I had known)

- recieve (receive)

- to benifit (to benefit)

- which I have already began to do (which I have already begun to do).

6. 0

An increasing number of "writers" use lower case habitually, instead of sentence case, and this includes using "i" instead of "I". Such informality is inappropriate on HubPages. I'm quite sure that was what Sally's Trove meant.

Using "we" instead of "I" is neither necessary nor desirable in most situations.

Thank you again for pointing out my errors. I still have much to learn.  I know you are both right about the use of "i" and I plead guilty to it's use. I will put in extra effort to break this old bad habit of mine.