Misspelling, Bad Punctuation, and Poor Grammar on HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (41 posts)
  1. JSParker profile image80
    JSParkerposted 12 years ago

I think HubPages is just a terrific opportunity for writers to write and make connections within the HubPages community.  However, I am concerned about the quality of some of the hubs I see.  Even if the writing is fresh and lively, if the spelling, punctuation, or grammar are poor, then that gives a bad impression. I'd like to see HubPages be at a higher standard. 

Both hubs I read within the past hour had problems.  For example, one had this phrase: "Ofcourse [sic], discipline dosen't [sic] always"....  The other hub had this: "What have you got to loose [sic]?" Okay, the first two "Ofcourse" and "dosen't" instead of "Of course" and "doesn't" are probably just typos.  The third "loose" instead of "lose" might even be a typo, too.  Nonetheless, I see errors on almost every hub I read, and some are worse than these examples.  I know it's a challenge.  In fact, I have to print out my hubs before I publish, and I catch a lot of errors.  I'm sure someone could find an error on my hubs. Probably more than one.  So, I include myself in this:  Can't we do better?

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with ya!

I was a "proof reader" working for the gov't for many years.

Before I "publish," I read, re-read, re-read and re-read b4 I publish.

I've had readers, respectfully point out minor mistakes I didn't pickup in a few of my hubs.

I, of course, go back and correct those mistakes and republish.

I try to learn from every mistake, regardless of how minor or simple.

I would be embarrassed to publish some the "stuff" I've read.

I won't follow or read  anything someone writes, if I feel they have not taken due care in offering a well written hub.

There are a couple of writers I've made aware of agregious mistakes in spelling and syntax. It hasn't affected their writing. They go right on writing and making the same mistakes.

I've stopped trying to read their "stuff."

I, no doubt, have made a mistake (maybe 2 smile: ) in this post.

Qwark

2. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The confusion between "lose" and "loose" is extremely common. I've even noticed it in the writings of highly educated and intelligent people, who otherwise do not tend to make grammatical/spelling errors.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image74
        DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My pet peeve is using "your" for "you're".  Two completely different things!

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your not serious! That's just in you're state of SC. smile

yikes

Or people who say "I had this ideal"  instead of "idea"...grrr...

In Georgia, it's pronounced "idear"!

As in "I have no idear!" ???

Shoot I reckon! smile

2. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wellll, down heer in da sowth, it wood be "louuse." You will louuse dis baddle." lol

Aaaackk...it's a wood louuse!

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The 'lose v loose' one always amazes me. It just doesn't happen in the UK. As you know, you 'lose' your temper, or you 'lose' your purse, but you let a horse 'loose' into the pasture or you have a 'loose' tooth as a child. Never could see why this one seemed to be such a common mistake here on Hubpages when I had never seen the mistake made elsewhere beforehand.

1. Pearldiver profile image65
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What Absolute BS.... tongue

I have had Many English friends and as far as I have Witnessed Firsthand....

Every single one of them has twied despewately to Use Loose Women, in far more than Verbal Intercourse, irrespective of its correct grammatical grunting! smile

smile  smile smile

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

ROFLMAO big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. WriteAngled profile image75
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm in the UK and I see this error all the time!

Yes, I think it's universal.  It makes me want to "loose" it! smile

3. munirahmadmughal profile image48
      munirahmadmughalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Misspelling, bad punctuation or any other mistake in writing should be automatically corrected by a mechanism to be thought and provided by the administration of hubpages.It would be very useful for those who are poor in English or weak in grammar. oftern the Huber write directly on the hubpages and to remove all such inadvertances time is required.

May God bless all.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would you suggest the mechanism use "they're", "there" or "their" as the default?

My own machine will pick up such things as "oftern", "inadvertances" and "Huber" even in the forums, but if yours won't it is up to you to do so.

It will not pick up such things as "hubpages.it" or "grammar. oftern" or "Huber write directly" though.  That is entirely up to me to catch, and it worth my time to do so.

We all make errors and no one catches them all, but it is worth the time to make a strong effort.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The standard is, in my opinion, already higher than that.  But it is based on hubs that fall below the standard being reported by 'flagging'.

3. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I think we could do a lot better by having a friend or family member read our articles before we publish them.

There is a particular Hubber who I follow that I dread reading his work. Most of his hubs are illegible. The grammar and spelling are out of this world. The truth is I followed him because I thought he might have something interesting to offer, I was wrong. The few hubs he has that can be read I don't think he wrote them himself.

1. Terri Meredith profile image69
      Terri Meredithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always write my hubs using my Office software.  I do spelling and grammar checks, before copying and pasting.  That helps with most errors, and I read over it again after posting.  I've discovered it's better to wait an hour or two, to reread it because I tend to totally miss the one or two errors that may be present.  I think it's because I'm so familiar with the piece that I see what I expect to see, and miss what's actually there.  Even so, occasionally I'll still find a minor error.

2. PaulaHenry1 profile image64
      PaulaHenry1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

then why are you following ????? You can stop and flag the profie?....

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image74
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

This is so funny.  I've been thinking about writing a hub about why proofing your own writing doesn't work and I ran up on an article about an author criticizing blog writers for mispellings and guess what...I counted about three or four in their article!  I do think it's very difficult to proof your own stuff.  I've come back days later and found errors in mine.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My proofing skills are so pathetic that I proof each hub twice before publishing, and then come back in one month and do it one more time.  It is not unusual to find a minor error or two.

After a month, the automatic memory thing of seeing what I expect instead of what's there is gone and I think that helps.  I also often tweak them a tad at that point, checking out the keywords and tags and maybe adjusting the layout or something. 

Just SOP any more; in the next couple of days I'll check anything published in April.

5. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 12 years ago

Oh, me too. And I feel like such a jerk. All that research and work, then I see these old mistakes. And reading an article with some obvious errors makes the whole thing inadequate. The reader loses confidence.

6. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I think the problem is that we read what we expect to see.  I have written pieces, which I have read many times to make sure everything is correct.  Then, after publishing it, I suddenly notice an obvious error, and cannot understand how I managed to miss it.  It is much easier to notice mistakes in the work of others than in our own.  But if a work is interesting, the fact that it contains some typing errors does not greatly annoy me.  Unless I see some common errors, about which I think people should know better.  For instance, the confusion many people have over 'their' and 'there.'  Or the common misspelling  amongst English writers of 'carnt' rather than 'can't.'

That happens to me all the time.  And I feel like a dork, thinking, "How many people read that and saw it made no sense?"  Maybe we should start a proofers' section where we can go in and proof each other's work???

1. deblipp profile image59
        deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're right. Every good professional writer appreciates being edited. It's hard to see the problems in one's own work.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

Re- carnt versus can't, I have to say I am English, and have never ever in my life seen anyone type 'carnt' although that is not to say it never happens, I just don't know where!

1. profile image0
        Muldanianmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have two friends, who in emails, always use 'carnt.'  I have also read it many times online.

7. profile image0
    Aka Professor Mposted 12 years ago

Having created a blog dedicated to helping new, young and want to be writers improve their skills in the areas in question, has opened my eyes to the reasons for a lot of these problems. Too often we tend to develop these bad habits from the use of "Texting".

The short forming and substitution of characters for the longer correct words used in proper English. The texting language used in the social media networks, has made it's presence felt in ever increasing numbers.

On my site there are many fine writers, who have written pieces which point out those areas, that potential writers need to be aware of. The other thing that I have done, is provide links to programs and other sites, that aid these writers in helping themselves.

The use of quality free software programs, like OpenOffice.org by Oracle, a great word processor,is something, that I really recommend . Use of such a program will help with finding those grammar and spelling inaccuracies.

Use of good text to speech programs, like Halreader by Zabaware, can let you hear the way that the piece you've typed on the screen, actually sounds. This program reads exactly what is written, back to you, allowing you to hear those errors, which proofreading your own pieces yourself, will always miss.

Why do we miss those obvious errors, on our own work, you ask?

It is really very simple to explain, my friends. When anyone writes a piece themselves, they don't read every word.

But why not?

We don't because we know what we want to say and our eyes see what we believe we have written, not what is actually on the screen. we skim over the sentences because we already know it's content!

Why?

Basic human nature, we see it in works by others because we didn't write theirs. We  miss it in ours, because we are the ones who just wrote it! That is why!

People, we all are human and as humans we will make mistakes! By using all these aids we will improve and that is the goal to improve and do the best that we can. The One thing to "Always Remember" is, while programs can help, "Nothing replaces a good editor as the writers Real Best Friend!"

Regards Mike!(Aka Professor M!)

JSParkerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dear Aka Professor M,  I think you have a valid idea to convey in your comments.  Since this is a discussion about grammatical and other errors in our writing, may I, with all due respect, point out that "it's" is only used when  meant to shorten "it is".  If you mean the possessive pronoun, the word never has an apostrophe, but is spelled "its".  Best wishes, JSP

1. profile image0
        Aka Professor Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is absolutely correct  JSParker ! You get the GOTCHA  award for catching that DELIBERATE error! It is one of the most commonly made mistakes that is found all too often in even the top flight articles and hubs.

Your pointing out of that  glaring error is what I had hoped would happened, as it illustrates the correct way to approach someone with errors in their posts. Thanks for being brave enough to address the situation, in so diplomatic a fashion JSParker.
        Regards Mike (Aka Professor M!)

LOL.  Great!  I had a little hunch you might have planted that error to see what, if any, response it generated. 

I have struggled with whether to comment on errors in hubs.  It was easier here because of the nature of this discussion.

1. profile image0
            Aka Professor Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for being my assistant in this exercise and being willing to help when indeed, it is necessary! Too often we are afraid of getting involved and miss out on the possibility, of aiding someone who with a little encouraging, could become the next Bestselling author, or that Pulitzer Prize winning journalist.
            You went with your instincts, to help and look at the results ,JSParker. You have become an example, of what  to do, when presented with this type of dilemma and have earned my admiration and respect, as well!  Thank You JSParker!
            Regards Mike (Aka Professor M!) ;D

Some may think that is being judgmental or nit picking, but if done respectfully and with the right intention in mind, then the results can and will surprise you!

It was my privilege.  Thanks for the interaction.  ~JSP

8. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 12 years ago

When I finally type my poems, I put a ruler or card under each line and read the sentence three times just to make sure I make no mistakes. By blotting out other words, it helps to magnify the errors if they appear. A Thesaurus-cum-dictionary is a treat and every Hubber should have one.

Some writers should be flagged if they persistently make mistakes and I wish there was some way the hub editing mode could capture some of the errors. I don't know why they are not moderated or commented on. Perhaps we should comment more on the problems when we see them at the time. Every little can help. And the corrections don't have to be nasty. Just advice on spelling it better. It also draws attention to possible education issues, and I feel reluctant to blame people for having poor English if it is not their first language/

9. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

The poor spelling and grammar are because every and anyone is writing stuff. 

My degree is in English and I am a final Editor for translated texts.   I see errors in everything written in hubpages - it is a small price to pay for opening up communication to more people.  This is  one reason I think the HP postion on second language writers sucks.  The more we know and the wider the information base the better, and even extensive grammar and spelling errors are a small price to pay.  This is especially relevant when looking at many of the badly written native speaker hubs with nothing to say or repeating the same old same old same old - while interesting new stuff is turned away because the phraseology is a little strange in the opinion of people who can barely write an interesting legible sentence themselves.

10. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 12 years ago

So I'm not being nit-picking to point out that the OP has an annoying habit of indenting the first paragraph about 5 spaces - a style which went out of style with the typewriter? Not everyone here is looking to be a published author - most of us are just trying to make some money.

Also you should be aware that this is, and always has been an International site. Americans, Canadians, English and Indians - we have different rules for English grammar (and no, I am not missing a comma in this sentence).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)