Saved Passwords in Google Chrome

1. SandyMcCollum profile image84
    SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

Hi everyone! smile

Just thought I'd post something new I learned. You may already know it, but I just found out. I have my passwords to all the sites I go to stored and I often use the "Save this password?" button.

I always wondered how hackers can get your passwords, if not by a program that records keystrokes. Now, with Chrome at least, I know.

There's a small wrench icon in the upper right corner of the browser window. Click that and a list drops down, choose Options. On that page, there's two links in the left sidebar, one says Personal Stuff. Click that, and then find Saved Passwords and click it. There will be a page of saved passwords. The password itself looks like dots ..... click the dots and a box that says Show will appear, click that. There's your secret passwords for anyone who knows how to see.

Just FYI.

Does anyone know, is there a similar feature in FireFox?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I didn't know where to find these stored passwords, so thanks! I have found though, that if I empty the cache sometimes some passwords get 'lost' even though I specifically ask to keep them. They are there in that Personal Stuff box, but don't come up when I go to the site. Anyone know how to restore it?

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

yes, there is. FF encrypts passwords when saving, but they are in plain text in 'show passwords', if you share a computer.
    Tools>Options>Security>Saved Passwords>Show Passwords >Yes>Hide Passwords>Close

You can use a master password to lock down FF, or use a password to log into your user account on your computer.