jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Duplicate content that's meant to be duplicate

1. TIC Publishing profile image61
    TIC Publishingposted 5 years ago

Hoping someone can tell me if there's a way around this - I have 3 computer related how-to articles.  They are instructions on doing the same thing in 3 different operating systems.

I've thought of putting this all in a single article but it would be awkward and not very aesthetically pleasant for the reader.

So what I'm left with are 3 articles which are being flagged for duplicate content, but they are supposed to have duplicate content.  Hubpage's filters must be pretty sensitive because I've reworded a lot but they're still matching duplicate, and really, it would be much better if they were duplicates of each other except for the differing instructions (maybe 60% of the article)

Can I ask Hubpage's admins to manually review my pages to ok them, or is it an automatic filter that you just have to repeatedly bang your head against, wasting your time to blindly find the way through its logic gates?

1. sarovai profile image62
      sarovaiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to hubpages. Are you talking about your own writing or collections. If it is your own writing it is advisable to combine in a form and submit. If it is collections , better forget about bringing to hubpages.

TIC Publishingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I'm talking about 3 articles that I'm writing from scratch, but much of the preamble is similar as the goal is identical in all three articles, just the instructions (which makes up 60% of each article) are completely different.

By "combine in a form" do you mean write it all in a single hub?  It's unfortunate if there's no way around that as someone's going to be much more likely to go to a concise article that describes precisely what they're looking for and has their operating system in the title.  Combined, everyone who visits the article will be presented with a page that's 2/3 clutter.

2. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

IMHO you should write to team@hubpages.com and explain the issue. I am sure they will understand and republish your hubs.
    The team has always been helpful and reasonable whenever I had a problem in the past.

1. 0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sofs has given the correct answer. Duplicate content is caught by automated filters, but moderators can make exceptions.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

In my opinion it might be clearer to have one preamble hub and then link to three other hubs with specific instructions for each operating system.

TIC Publishingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hadn't thought of that - it'd be a clever solution, but each article right now is only about 600 - 700 words, so I would end up with 4 hubs about 300 - 400 words each... from my understanding hubs are penalized either here or on Google's searches if they're too small, is that correct?

4. Davids writing profile image82
    Davids writingposted 5 years ago

I am having a similar problem (and would be very interested if you get this resolved!). I am writing a guide on how to write essays. I have two different ones that are very similar, so I used two different hubs. I was told it was duplicated so I did my best. I combined some preliminary information in one hub and then gave an option to <click here> for 'an alternative ending'. The ending was similar in some respects, but different in others. I reworded the entire thing so as to make them 'more different', but it still came back as a duplicate! <shrug>

5. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Would it be possible to write a preamble long and valuable enough so as not to trip the "substandard" filter and then provide links to 3 different hubs for specific instructions?  Perhaps 3 short paragraphs under 3 subheadings with a link included?