Duplicate content

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I was reading a Hub on Hubpages, and was concerned to read the advice that the content we use in our Hubs should be unique, not something we've posted elsewhere on the net.

I started out on Helium and have nearly 200 articles on that site. When I joined HubPages, I saw it as a great opportunity to expand on some of my underdeveloped articles on Helium, and I've been having great fun improving them, adding additional material, pictures, videos etc. 

The thing is, I can't delete the original version on Helium - they keep the content non-exclusively in perpetuity.  So the question is, am I wasting my time putting this content on HubPages?

I must say, it's a warning to anyone else who's tempted to join Helium.  They make a big thing out of the fact that their rights are non-exclusive, so you can post the same material anywhere else you like - but what I'm finding is, most of the "anywhere elses" don't want content that already exists elsewhere!

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If you're adding to the content (more words) I would also suggest editing the original content. "Rejig" it.

You'll probably find you can improve the article given the fact that you're approaching it with fresh eyes.

2. soni2006 profile image75
      soni2006posted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think according to me you should never post an article twice on any blogging site like hubpages or squidoo or helium but if you are editing and copywriting the article or improving it, it would be more beneficial but I think writing on a new topic does not take so much time then editing it for reposting somewhere else (SEARCH ENGINES LIKE GOOGLE DO NOT LIKE REPETITIVE ARTICLES AND EVEN PHRASES ALSO) search engine spiders detect small word phrases out of an article, so if you want to write start it fresh and it your changing the text, then always change or edit the whole article, changing the grammar will help a lot.

3. Wilma Proops profile image58
      Wilma Proopsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The way I read the rules here is that you MUST be the originator, writer, creator of the content.  They seem to prefer material that hasn't been published anywhere else but that isn't essential.

I really hope that is the case as I've published 50 articles (thereabouts) that were originally on Triond.

So far, apart from Triond, I haven't found another site that will only let you publish original content first hand - Triond reject anything submitted poblished elsewhere.  I should imagine that Triond do this to ensure with ease that they are not perpetrating any copyright infringements.  I think it's strange that such a purely paying site - due to their inabilty to serve adsense ads - should take this attitude.  It apparently does nothing to improve the material on their site - it might be 100% first hand original but most stuff there is complete rubbish.  Some of the "creative writing" (use the term gingerly) is for want of a better description - pants.  I digress.

I hope a more senior member will be able to clarify this.

1. Wilma Proops profile image58
        Wilma Proopsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No Need - this is what hubpages states before you publish - seems I was right (as above)

"No Copied Content

Do not copy content you do not have the right to use. Original content is rewarded with higher HubScores"

it clarifies that

a) you do not have the right to publish ithers work (that'll lead to a ban from adsense and the rep as a content theif)

b) hubpages prefer first-hand original and award it more points for being so

2. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We strongly prefer material that has not been published elsewhere, and content that can be found elsewhere on the web will incur a penalty score, but it is permitted, as long as there are no outbound links on the hub in question.  HubPages does not allow you to use text that is duplicated on any other sites (including your own site or blog) to promote.  Hubs with duplicate content and links will be flagged as Overly Promotional.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Yes, I'm rejigging the original text as well. It's one of the irritations of Helium that you can't revise your articles without getting approval from other contributors, so making changes there is difficult.  That's one reason why it's been so great to get on HubPages and make all the revisions I like!

3. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

yep..
    I did the helium thing too..sometimes I will get bored and write something there..God knows why, I have 8 blogs and Hubpages. smile
    But the way it is presented and the way it IS are 2 different things

4. ForTheLove profile image68
    ForTheLoveposted 16 years ago

Helpful stuff.. Glad I didn't sign up for that site as that sounds super frustrating not being able to fix things easily later.. Viva le Hubpages, eh?

And yeah, I agree duplicate content can't be good even *IF* search engines like it because if you look at it from the point of view of a surfer, it's absolutely hair-pulling to enter a search and find the same information repeated 500 times on a given search term or topic.. you know?

1. soni2006 profile image75
      soni2006posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree with you dear, we should write something which we love to read. Take everything on yours, be a reader first before becoming a writer.

5. Sangay Glass profile image67
    Sangay Glassposted 16 years ago

Hey Marisa!

I’ve found so many ways to make articles fresh and exciting  at HubPages that I barely recognize them.

A little license to tool around with old articles has inspired me to take them to a greater level by using more of my original research, finding links, sidebars, and getting more relevant  information out to my audience.

Something I had to down play at Helium because your steered into writing to specific titles.

It’s great here, but I do like Helium for other reasons.

One…a steady modest income. I managed to hit the jackpot on a few really hot topics there that still get a lot of hits.

Janet might still convince me to keep the Writers Walk at Helium. We’ll discuss terms the first of the month, but if that falls through though maybe I’ll start a hub:D

6. Marisa Wright profile image87

Hi Sangay!

Yesterday I noticed someone saying they'd received a flag from HubPages because they had detected duplicate content.  So it sounds like there is a safeguard - if I haven't changed my Helium article enough, HP itself will notice!

I tend to agree with you - in the process of transferring the articles, I do find myself changing them substantially.  I guess we all do that whenever we revisit old material. 

I'm still dropping in to Helium now and then, but I find it's only to hang around the Forums.  I'm finding HubPages more creatively satisfying.  I need to remember to add an article to Helium now and then, to keep my membership alive.

What happens if you don't?

7. Marisa Wright profile image87

If you don't keep your membership active, you can't claim the accumulated earnings.

How do you keep it active?

Just by logging into your account? Or do you need to submit a new article every few days/weeks?

8. profile image0
    daflaposted 16 years ago

I'd write management and make them aware of the situation.  Be sure you change at least 40% of your content.

9. barranca profile image75
    barrancaposted 16 years ago

I'm now wondering whether it is a negative thing from hubpages point of view if I post a hub on another site such as stumbleupon.  Why does hubpages have a "share it" function if they didn't want hubbers to promote hubs elsewhere?  I did this recently just out of curiosity more than anything else and found, sure enough, that there was a big but brief surge in viewers.  But since then my overall hub rating has been plummeting.  Did I cross a line?

10. Marisa Wright profile image87

Barranca

When you "post" a Hub on Stumbleupon (or other similar sites), you're not actually posting the article - you're posting a LINK to the article.  So you're not duplicating anything.

Dafla, which management and which situation are you talking about?

11. Marisa Wright profile image87

You need to submit a new article at least once every six months.  I know that's not much - but in some ways that's worse, because it's such a long time, I'll be inclined to forget!

12. soni2006 profile image75
    soni2006posted 15 years ago

Is Helium better than hubpages? If yes, I will give it a try.  If not, I will not, as I love creating hubs on hubpages than anything else on the net. I get on an average 5 hours a week working on the hubs and I do not have time writing articles for sites from which you cannot make good money and increase your creativity.

13. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

soni why are you resurreting all these very, very old posts?

1. soni2006 profile image75
      soni2006posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I was away from hubpages for a long time and wanted to know and learn about my previous posts and I am just following up on them.

14. weblog profile image56
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Maybe Soni is learning something new smile

15. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 15 years ago

Duplicate content need not be the copied content smile

16. Wilma Proops profile image58
    Wilma Proopsposted 15 years ago

confused - you mean do "not" prefer (hopefully).

I don't want my work copied from here by commercial organisations - do hubpages allow that or do anything to stop it?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oops, corrected.

If we do happen to notice that duplicates are showing up for your hub after it has been published for a while, we can tell you where they are coming from so that you can file DMCA complaints, but this is only when it comes to our attention.  We obviously can't keep tabs on every single hub all the time, but it's always a good idea, from a web writer's perspective, to try to check periodically for yourself.

17. Pat Merewether profile image60
    Pat Merewetherposted 15 years ago

I'm glad I read this.  I have ove 400 articles posted on Helium and do use some here on hub, although I usually edit and change them a little, I didn't realize that I wasn't supposed to use my own articles in more than one place?

Helium's ok.  I used to make at least $50-80 a month, but September was the first month I didn't even make the minimum $25.  Most of my earnings came from contests, but either I'm becomming a poorer writer or new writers or much, much better than I (me?) because lately I don't even place in the top 20.  my entries start out high and steadily decline. very depressing and frustrating. 

my shift key is wearing out - sorry about the no caps.

1. dingdong profile image57
      dingdongposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good for you wink No caps is better than the LOUD all caps lol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What irritates me about contests at Helium is when I read articles that are factually inaccurate and written badly making it to number one. My articles do okay usually, but in contests I always end up near the bottom.

18. Pat Merewether profile image60

There is definitely something funky about those contests.  The fact that people who write for the contest articles also rate the same articles is not right.  Also, the fact that the entries are not 'blind' should be fixed.

19. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

I received an email a couple of days ago from Helium, letting me know that I've made it to Premium status.  Pretty funny, considering they banned me 7 months ago, so I haven't been able to put any articles on since.

Wait a minute, maybe funny's the wrong word.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Helium did the same thing to me and I don't understand why the ban so many, as I as well am included. I am certain many of articles are in very good taste and trying to get back in to capture your articles once you leave for a few months is another thing. I believe when they write the policy on how it belongs to them, is a crime in itself as our articles are our ideas, thoughts etc. It amazes how they steal articles to make themselves better. How do you feel about Associated Content?

1. Shirley Anderson profile image71
        Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Did you get banned when you reached the payout minimum, or asked for it?

20. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

I got one of those Premium Helium thingies, and I've barely been active at all.

(Frankly, I burned out on reviewing articles, and having to choose the better of two poorly written pieces, when both needed a thorough red-pencilling.)

(Yes, I are arrogant.)

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Me too!   I check in on Helium occasionally, and recently wrote the single article I need to keep my membership alive.  I saw my "Premium" badge and also noted that I have only one writing star now, meaning that most of my articles are rated very low - funny, when most of them were rated in the top 25% for well over a year. 

Soni, Helium is not better than HubPages in my opinion - certainly not in money terms.  I wrote a  Hub about it.

21. Pat Merewether profile image60

True about all caps, dingdong (I feel like I'm calling you an unkind name - even thought I'm known as dimbulb sometimes).

Why were you banned from helium, Shirley? yikes (If I may be so nosey)

Marisa - hi! You were the rist to welcome me here.  I think Helium sent those badges out automatically to everyone who fit the crteria.  I'm down to one star too - and had four at one time. Very disconcerting and curious.

1. dingdong profile image57
      dingdongposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No problem smile

22. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I got a premium badge too. I haven't written anything there since July

23. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

hey all;
    I started out on Helum but found it to be incredibly boring and uninteresting to keep my attention.It also  was tedious to rate other articles. I started out high and sank fast;all due to other writers rating me...hmmm.
    I like hubpages much more!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I think a lot of people rate depending on their opinion. A lot couldn't tell a good article if it bit them on the butt smile

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good one!  LOL  ;smile

24. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I'm just trying to get to $25 so I can cash out. I'm at just over $19 due to selling one article for $16 smile

25. fred999 profile image40
    fred999posted 15 years ago

Well Stacie just keep writing. I bet if you looked closely at the negative feedback it would be from a few clowns that have written absolutely nothing of their own and just comment on peoples writing to try a feel good about themselves. Pretty easy to do when they just hide and don't put themselves out there.
    Walt AKA fred999 and All Sports on the Web

26. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

When Helium bans someone, they don't give a reason.

However I do know a few people who got banned for using traffic exchanges.  That's not surprising, as Adsense would do the same thing!

The trouble is that Helium encourages you to go out and promote your own articles and doesn't warn you about traffic exchanges. I joined a couple when I was trying to promote my blog - they looked exactly the same as other blog directories to me, until I got further into them and found the click-for-money section.  So I think it's a bit rough of Helium not to explain - at least you can say you've learned something from the experience.

27. Pat Merewether profile image60

Well, I just learned my lesson about Triond.  I posted an article there that I have posted elsewhere and they were very quick to reject it citing 'duplicate content'.  I'm guilty - so will rewrite the article and try again.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Triond is very fussy that way, which I like smile

28. Pat Merewether profile image60

Yes, it sounds like they run a tight ship and take their writers and their work seriously.

I always have to learn everything the hard wasy! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)