Has anybody else gotten this strange and upsetting comment?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. alocsin profile image87
    alocsinposted 12 years ago

Has anyone ever gotten this strange comment from a John Doe?

"This review has zero content, like most of your site. You should be ashamed of your web SPAM. We can see you are all about ad revenue and just copy content from others to post more ads."

It was posted on my hub here:
    <link snipped>

I've denied it of course, but it's a bit upsetting. I wrote the review originally, and did not copy it. It also happens to be quite popular with model railroaders, given the number of hits I get from model train forums.

I'm also wondering why this John Doe thinks my article is about posting ads, since the only ads on my hub are the ones put in by HubPages and AdSense. I don't even have ads for Ebay or Amazon on my articles.

Thanks.

Aurelio

2. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

John Doe sounds like a random jerk - the kind who likes to make upsetting and irrelevant remarks - the kind that have nothing to do with what you wrote. I get them sometimes on a couple of websites I write for, but usually not on HubPages. Welcome to the wonderful worldwideweb. big_smile

Don't bother replying to comments like that. Any reply can often encourage them, and generally it's just not worth the time and effort. I usually just delete comments like that as they obviously have nothing to do with the article.

3. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I would post some of the comments I get here on my hubs about Saudi Arabia but would probably get a lifetime ban!!!

I get some great comments about American sexual preferences with regards to their mothers, sisters and daughters along with other references to domestic animals which us westerners supposedly prefer! I have left a couple less graphic ones published but generally if they are abusive i just deny them... but they can be very funny!!!

Just ignore the jerks, they are not worth worrying about.... You will always get some idiot saying something especially if they can do it anonymously.

4. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Yep - Lean man says it all - I get the same about China and all things Chinese.

People leave obnoxious comments becasue they are powerless in life and when they say anything in the forums they are ignored as they have nothing to contribute.  The only thing they get from such pathetic means as leaving upsetting comments is that they upset you - so just ignore them as the trash they are and delete them.

5. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I probably wouldn't worry about it, as he's probably just some random idiot online talking trash.  I wouldn't let it bother you.  Hell, I got a person that left a comment on my review of "Jackass 3-d" where I called the film a utter waste of time.  Well, this person not only called me a moron for giving his favorite movie a bad review, but he also told me and I quote, "You should be beaten within an inch of your life and then resuscitated by having someone shit in your mouth." Yep, those were his exact words too.  lol.  Of course, I didn't bother to delete it like I should've, as I did respond to his little remark.  Telling him how first of all, a film review is nothing more than a analytical assessment of what the writer thought of a movie.  You're not supposed to take them seriously, and you don't always have to agree with them either.  Hell, I certainly don't expect everyone that reads my hubs to agree with me all the time, as that would be absurd. No, the point of a film review, as I told him, is that it's supposed to help you gain a good idea of what a movie is about, and help you in deciding whether or not you want to see a film. 

Anyways, I did tell the guy that he's rather sad if he's getting this royally pissed off because I called his favorite movie terrible.  As I simply told the guy that if you care about what I think about your movie, then you're sad.  Seriously, who cares?  As I told him, you liked the movie, so why do you care what I think?  It's not like we'll ever meet in real life, and if we do, I'm not going to take back what I said. However, I don't think the guy came back to read my response to be honest, but the point is that people like talking trash all the time online.  Therefore, I wouldn't take it too personal.  Just take it with a grain of salt, and move on.  Besides, there's too many bigger issues to worry about than what some random jerk thinks.

Edit:  Although to be fair, I did compare the intelligence level of the cast of "Jackass" to that of a five year old child.  Of course later in the review I did apologize to all five year old children and their parents; citing that they're WAAAAAAAAAAAYYY smarter than the cast of "Jackass."  big_smile

1. Rosie2010 profile image66
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol @ your edit.  that's hilarious!

2. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Steven I think you should take it as a compliment when someone gets so het up about your reviews.Are you sure it wasn't the director!

6. Rosie2010 profile image66
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Hiya alocsin, that was awful.  Of course, nobody else had gotten such an awful comment! lol jus kiddin!  Sorry, I couldn't help it.  I got two... so far.  I told my son about it, and he said "Mom, there are a lot of "trolls" on the internet."  John Doe is obviously a troll. big_smile

7. alocsin profile image87
    alocsinposted 12 years ago

Thanks all for the encouragement. I don't mind it so much if someone disagrees with my opinion because it means my review is causing someone to think. What bothers me about this is that he is saying my reviews are not original and I'm just doing it for the money.

My reviews are all original, and not cut-and-paste jobs. 

But I am in it for the money, though heaven knows I'm not earning any, lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)