Is HubPages known for holding grudges?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)
  1. TIC Publishing profile image40
    TIC Publishingposted 12 years ago

So I'm at a lost about how to proceed here.  During my first week on this site, I wasn't familiar with the system and I ended up spamming a couple of articles which were blocked for dupe content (one was quotes and the other I think was too similar to one of my other articles).

The end result was that all of my articles were unpublished.  Instead of informing me, or replying to my requests, HP waited until I came to the community to ask for assistance before condescendingly telling me that I was a big fat spammer and locking the forum topic.  Fair enough.  I operated in opposition to the rules of the ToS, and got a slap on the wrist. I can deal with that.

The problem is that now I can't seem to get anything published.  Out of the 32 articles I used to have published, I've only been able to get 5 of them back up.  I have a bunch of them submitted and all that happens to them is every 1-2 days one gets rejected for some reason or another.  One was for having some text in italic that apparently made my article look ugly, another was for having "unrelated tags" because the moderator wasn't aware that the they were common names for jobs within the industry that my article was about... The latest one (which, like all of these being rejected, was previously published without problem) was rejected for dupe content & being substandard... and the way things have been going, even *if* I can figure out how to randomly reword it (I wrote it from hand and have no idea what or how much is matching some random place on the Internet), *and* figured out why it's considered substandard and fixed it, I have the feeling that next time they'll flag me for unrelated or excess tags (I've searched and searched, and even asked, but have never gotten an answer to how many are considered excessive).

One of the few articles that has gone through - discussing some scientific research on the effects of red wine - has had ads banned from it... I cannot for the life of me figure out why and can not get an answer from HP to clarify.

So, my question to the veterans here is, is this common practice; how I can expect to be treated for the foreseeable future?  Is this HP's way of telling me that I'm not welcome here, by harassing me and wasting my time so that I'll just pack up and go away?

Over-all this is a very good system, and the community here has been great, but if my abilities here are going to continue to be crippled - so much so that even making a multi-part article isn't worth trying because at least one of them is going to get moderated, breaking the series - then this toxic relationship isn't of any real use to either of us.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The system is pretty much automated.  If you are not getting the notification emails you need to check that they have a current email address for you and their email is on your "safe" list.

TIC Publishingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do get some replies from them so they have my address... and the rejections are not automatic - they *all* passed 'before the fall' and most of them specifically say under the reason for rejection "This information is based on a human review of this Hub"

3. psycheskinner profile image83

And in each case you should have an email saying exactly what rule the hub is breaking. Have you search to ensure the emails didn't go astray?  If you still don't find them, ask for them to be resent.  until you know what the infraction is how can we tell if they are using a different standard for you versus the rest of us?

If you make enough mistakes you will end up having all hub held and reviewed before publication--but that is still done to anyone who has a certain number/rate of infractions not just because someone doesn't like them.

Appreciate the info, as always, Psycheskinner.  If they at least communicated what was going on with me and replied to my requests for clarification, I'd feel a lot more like we were working towards a resolution rather than being firmly stuck in this quagmire.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I very much doubt that they hold a grudge.However what they might be doing is checking everything you have done very carefully. After all you have broken the rules by your own admission. As psycheskinner says- check your e mail link, e mail the team and allow plenty of time before you get a reply.

5. pedrog profile image60
    pedrogposted 12 years ago

Well i can help you with the red wine one, you cannot use Adsense in articles with alcohol related topics, thats Google rule.

I have not been able to find anything of the sort in HubPage's ToS.

The only thing I have been able to locate on Google Adsense's ToS is that you cannot put adsense on sites that sell alcohol, or promote illegal drugs.

6. psycheskinner profile image83

"Ads are also not permitted on pages which sell or promote the sales of beer, hard alcohol, or liqueurs."

"Promote" seems to be a gray area right now.

7. SandyMcCollum profile image65
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

It's not Hubpages' TOS that's being crossed by the wine content, but Google's TOS that's being crossed. They don't allow work that promotes buying or using alcohol, so your article could have crossed a line somewhere.

8. TIC Publishing profile image40
    TIC Publishingposted 12 years ago

Oh come on!  Seriously?  Seriously?

My hub "15 Things to do in Fresno - Vacationing in California" was rejected for 'Gambling, Alcohol, Tobacco, or Weapons', because one of the 15 things is taking a friggin' wine-tour??

Is there absolutely no level of allowance for common sense?  If I wrote a story about my dog named Vodka would it be pulled because I'm encouraging children to go out and lick strange dogs in the hope they might actually taste like liquor?

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The best thing to do under these circumstances will be, to start your own blog or site with all those articles, use adsense codes in them, and see what happens.

Just an idea smile

That's good advice, SunSeven.  I am moving a lot of my articles over to my own server; it's just unfortunate, as I really like Hubpage's interface and the community atmosphere here.

1. celebritie profile image68
          celebritieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may want to write for TRIOND, they are a revenue sharing site that has an active community and from what I understand let people write on whatever topics they want.

The content you submit to them must be original because they have software that can detect duplicates as well.

9. psycheskinner profile image83

The system is based on keywords, use enough of them and you will get a warning. To avoid a "vanishing" that is when you contact support....

10. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

certain words seem to trigger the censors,probably a software program and not an actual person.yeah the response can be slow.
    hubpages is trying to stay a successful online business since Panda hit so being careful is for the sake of the site and all the writers..

If it was automatically flagged that'd be understandable, but all these ridiculous flaggings I'm getting state specifically that they were human-reviewed.

11. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Some people are like moths. They just keep throwing themselves into the flames.

12. psycheskinner profile image83

With content writing I think it is always good to spread your risk over more than one platform.  So if this material seems to be okay for adsense but not for Hubpages you might try branching out into another host like Squidoo or Infobarrel?

13. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I've not known HubPages to hold any grudges in all the years I've been on the site... But it's fairly common for disgruntled site users to do so.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Relache- well said!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)