My Traffic is gone

Jump to Last Post 51-69 of 69 discussions (255 posts)
  1. davenmidtown profile image69
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

http://www.prchecker.info/check_page_rank.php

here is a link to a page rank... just paste your profile link in and then verify you are human...

2. davenmidtown profile image69

So my profile was ranked 3 but my individual hubs rank 2-5

3. davenmidtown profile image69

I still say that if you write about the new I phone and other top news items for gadgets  that competition is going to play into how well you rank on google.  That comes down to many things like keyword phases, etc.

4. toygurus profile image56
    toygurusposted 12 years ago

I wanted to post this article for discussion. Search engine watch recently tested the Panda algorithm. The basically put spam on a test site until the panda penalty was applied.

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/21 … nda-Update

Here are two interesting quotes:

"And sites with great content were affected because of some technical issues that caused additional duplicate content."

"[Panda] seems partly based on internal navigation structure and similarities in page templates."

Is this what is happening to hubpages?
    First, all the pages here look the same. Second, is google seeing our content as duplicate content?

I stated before that I believed that relache's account hasn't plunged because she writes on topics that are unique. I think now that we know that Susana has plunged and relache hasn't we are getting closer to figuring out what's wrong. I think we should look at both accounts and all the accounts on the success page since we can see their traffic. I am going to do this later.

What is the difference between what they are doing?  There is no denying that they are both quality hubbers. Are the plungers plunging because they are writing on topics that other hubbers are also writing on? Is google seeing this as duplicate content?  Are there technical issues with how hubpages set up their site that is causing duplicate content on some accounts?

Here is a quote from the webmaster central blog regarding panda:
    "Does the site have duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations?"

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … ality.html

I have done two searches with two hubbers who they stated they plunged on google. I have taken the unique title of their article and searched like this:
    [title of article] hubpages
    For example,
    Amazon Kindle Fire::Pre-order Yours Now hubpages

I see a bunch of hubpages articles appearing but izzyM's is not appearing. This is the exact title of her article. Why is she not showing up?

Next I did this search on google:
    Amazon Kindle Fire Release Date hubpages

IQuest is not showing up either but other hubbers are showing up. Are the plungers plunging because they are writing on saturated topics?

1. CMHypno profile image81
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Trouble is that with there being so many accounts on HP, finding really unique topics with good traffic is hard - also I have had at least one follower who has gone through one of my niches and written very similar, though not enough to trip the duplicate filter, hubs on each one of my own articles. I didn't realise the irony of the 'you have helped me so much' comment until much later!

Also, I have written hubs only to discover later that there were already many others on the subject, but always thought that it didn't particularly matter as we were all putting a different slant on the subject.  I mean how many different Christmas Wreath hubs are there, who gets first dibs on the topic?

I have started slowly removing hubs and one I moved, on gourmet chocolate, the exact title was nowhere in the first fifteen or so pages of Google, so there was no point in keeping it here.  It might as well fester on one of my own blogs LOL!

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They same imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! How annoying all the same, especially if they now rank higher than yours, now that you have plunged.

It didn't used to matter, but I always avoided writing on over-saturated topics until I realised the vast majority of them were really bad. Now, if you write on a topic that someone has written a good hub on, yours should take a different slant. That was before this current Google fiasco of course. Now if you have a plunged account, forget it, everybody's beats yours.

I did a check last night, and was surprised to note that all of my blogs have had double or more the traffic of anything with similar content here on HP since I started them round about April.

I'm not moving hubs because I'm hoping against hope that one day the traffic will return. I do feel as if my account has been sandboxed. A hub I wrote in early August is still not showing up in Google for its exact match title. Instead Google are still showing a couple of articles that are actually not there anymore, because I DMCA'd them.

The day it returns, the sandbox will be lifted.

It will take a long, long time to move the currently total non-performers, and (totally irrationally) I'm kind of hoping that I remove the one rotten apple by happenstance LOL!

2. IzzyM profile image85

I'm going over to read that link in a moment, but just wanted to say something about the similar content thingie.

When I wrote the Kindle Fire hub, it was one of the first written about it on HP, if not the first, although several others published a similar one within hours.

But my account had already plunged, and it seems, within HP too as it has been a long time since they have promoted any of my work.

So mine died a death as all the surging accounts rated higher form the word Go.

I wrote the first Angry Birds Halloween costume hub too. You can check if you like.

It disappeared while others who wrote one after me floated to the top.

The suggestion here being that the duplicate content issue isn't the problem, else the first person to write a half-decent hub on any topic would win every time, and that's not the case.

3. iQwest profile image49
      iQwestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I noticed this, too, searching random Hubs of mine!

When I search for one of my Hub titles and include my account name (iQwest) in the query, Google actually serves many Hubs ahead of mine simply on the basis of finding my account name and Title under another Hubbers "Related Hubs" section.  Clearly, that's a problem!

What I've noticed, since I write almost exclusively on technology (it pays well and I enjoy keeping up on it), is that some of my content has been scraped nearly verbatim, by what I consider spam sites, article directories, etc.

I think this duplicate content has to be associated with the plunging traffic problem (now that we're on our own subdomain and not under the wing of an actual HubPages URL) and I would safely gander that the scraping of technology information is more prevalent than scraping that would occur regarding other subject matters.

Lastly, I haven't had plunging traffic issues with lenses I've written over at Squidoo, but they're not using subdomains (outside of testing from what I've read) and I think it is much harder to have a page knocked for duplicate content because you can load a lens up with affiliate links, news feeds, polls, quizzes, Twitter feeds, debates, etc.

In short, even if content is scraped from one of my lenses, there's still a ton of unique content that can't be scraped.

On HubPages, since I'm a CA affiliate, I removed a good number of my Amazon capsules (before being reinstated), the news feeds are gone, etc.  If someone scrapes all of the content from one of my Hubs, it will truly look like a duplicate page (again, nearly verbatim since our Hubs are stripped down).

I'm grasping here, but that's what we do when we're looking for a solution!!!

Maybe we should change our name from the plungers to the graspers?  At least it sounds a bit more proactive? smile

1. theherbivorehippi profile image66
          theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol I like this!

2. toygurus profile image56
        toygurusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just tried this search
        Amazon Kindle Fire::Pre-order Yours Now hubpages izzym

You would expect IzzyM's article on the Kindle fire to show up. IzzyM's article does not show up even though I am specifically looking for it. IzzyM's subdomain shows up. It's pretty obvious something is wrong.

I also did a search for this since I thought it was saturated
        Making Money Online by Partnering With HubPages wilderness

Wilderness is ranking at the top.

Wilderness' content is very unique aside from this article. So maybe the plungers are triggering the panda threshold by having too much of overlapping content with other hubbers.

If you have started a new account you know what I mean because you start receiving traffic. However, if you keep publishing overlapping articles eventually the panda threshold will be tripped. It's all or nothing with panda.

I bet if you take each of your articles and put them in a non plunger account or even new account or (squidoo,wizzley,your own website) as I have done with a few articles, they would start getting traffic.

The same article that receives no traffic on hubpages is getting traffic on another property and the traffic is constant. This proves it is not a problem with "vacuous" content, amazon links, or any of the other theories. It's simply a problem with hubpages. We just don't know what that problem is at the moment.

You can try to take one of your articles that was receiving traffic (and no longer does) and move it to a new account on hubpages and watch it receive traffic again.I have done this successfully.

1. IzzyM profile image85

Yes something is very wrong, but I don't think it has to do with over-saturated topics. I seldom write on the same stuff as others here and have 100s of hubs to prove it. (or did when they were written).
          I have very very few hubs that went after a high market keyword because it took me a long time to a) have the confidence in myself as a writer and b) realise what a powerful platform HP actually is.

If you read my previous post, you would see that the Kindle Fire one, for example, was one of the first, if not THE first, written here on HP.

I love the news, I have feeds and all sorts sending it to my desktop.

I wrote that hub the minute it was announced.

If my content is overlapping with others, and that is what is triggering Panda, then I might as well give up now.

I don't believe that is the problem. I really think I have been 'sandboxed' that mythical place that Google denies there being. I am indexed, but nowhere. Sounds about right.

3. wampyrii profile image65
        wampyriiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"When I search for one of my Hub titles and include my account name (iQwest) in the query, Google actually serves many Hubs ahead of mine simply on the basis of finding my account name and Title under another Hubbers "Related Hubs" section.  Clearly, that's a problem!"

Something similar happened to me before my recent plunge. One of my own hubpages has literally replaced a far more relevant hub of my own in the search results, literally in the exact same position in the results, as if google decided this irrelevant hub was more relevant just because it mentioned the keywords in the title one single time! So now for a search term with over 3 million pages listed, google has decided to put a useless page in 8th position and send the relevant one to oblivion. Bizarre.

As a plunger (still) I searched the exact title of one of my hubs and found that the much shorter post I had put on one of my blogs for a backlink was top of the page, the couple of lines long description on shetoldme was half way down the page, and I had to go to half way down the second page to see the actual hub.  Kind of blows out of the water the 'thin content' argument?

Another exact title I searched the Digg listing from months ago was top of the page, and the actual hub nowhere to be seen.

Google have told me there is no spam penalty applied to my subdomain, but there is something going on when I can rank higher for a 2 line summary than a 1200 word hub?

4. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You might be on to something here.  Let me add a little from my own experience and observations as a non-plunger.

I tend to write on low value keywords without much competition, including that from HP, which may be a part of why my work is seldom copied (either that or it's really lousy smile )

Just off the top of my head, probably 1/3 of my topics have almost no competition from HP.  Zero or one other hub maybe.

Another 1/3 or more will show less than 10 hubs about the subject.  A search may show the keywords in the "competing" hub, but it really isn't the same subject at all.

Of the remaining 1/3, most are in depth discussion or instruction; will google consider a 1500 word hub to be any form of duplicate of a 300 word hub at all?  One would hope not.

I generally use long tail, very specific, keywords trying to get ONLY those readers that want what I offer.  I don't try to pull in lots of traffic that doesn't really belong there in the hopes they will click an ad.  There may be (and usually are) several keywords, but they are pretty specific.  Again, this may limit what a bot may consider to be the same subject with different keywords.

As iQuest says, grasping, but it could be a partial answer as well.

1. HikeGuy profile image70
        HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness -- This makes sense.  Excellent point about using highly specific long-tail keywords. The traffic on my older hubs improved when I redid the tags. When I started here, I knew nothing about keywords. Even though none of the tags were misleading, some were too general. Sticking to tags that best fit each hub seems to be helping. I also check stats regularly and add the long-tail keywords that Google, Bing and Yahoo show for each hub -- I find things there I didn't think of at first.

I've been trying to sort all this out, and based on what I'm seeing on other forums as well, niche topics have been performing the best post-Panda.

Content-rich articles with a specific angle that doesn't replicate material that's already widely available  -- such as your moving and well-written Christmas hub -- are more likely to find favor with Google. That's my understanding of it at this phase of my quest to make sense of it all.

Although my traffic gains are slower than I'd like, about half my traffic now comes from outside HP, which I'm taking as a good sign. This is my third shot at creating an income stream at HP -- I want to learn everything I can to make this work.

I feel for everyone who has lost income through all of these changes. I'm commenting on factors that may affect traffic, not suggesting anyone who has lost traffic has been doing anything "wrong."

Last week was my lowest traffic since I came back, and now this week my traffic from search engines has doubled. There are too many variables to know whether the improvement is from all my hub-tweaking or from something else.

5. davenmidtown profile image69

Wilderness:  You are a good writer.  I think your hubs have a very specific audience.  I just looked over your hub titles.  Not to be a critic... but have you used the title tuner tool here at hubpages?  It is useful for helping you increase traffic.  I would be willing to bet that off all of your hubs the best hub with the longest sustainable readership is the one on saltwater fish aquarium.  I say that because all of the topical fish hubs that I have written continue to have about 10-20 reads a week and they are my oldest hubs. 

In terms of readership... how many people per day need to change a two prong to a three prong dryer outlet?  Therein lies the problem with daily traffic flow.  I write a portion of my hub on things I want to write about and another portion on topics I know about buy have a high demand and low competition. My gardening hubs do really well in the spring and summer.  My how-to dehydrate food hubs do really well in the fall.  Since I have not been here a year yet I have no idea what will happen during the winter. 

My insect hubs do very little traffic, poety very little traffic... but I suspected that to be the case when I wrote them.  Over the winter I intend to write more tropical fish hubs, expand my gardening section to include more winter gardening and spring preparation type hubs, and maybe some more about dieting.   I have three goals in mind that do not involve traffic so much... to get over 100 hubs published (quality,) to get readership over 10,000, and to be more interactive with both Amazon and Google.

1. wilderness profile image94

No offense taken at all - I'm always glad to hear suggestions.

Yes, I use the title tuner and I also use WMT to consider title changes - I find it far more valuable as it tells me how many searches are for particular search terms.  On the whole I don't get excited about title tuner; most the terms are such things as "the" and "and": much of what is left doesn't really fit the hub.  A SE will generally provide the link to me without these words.

I don't mind discussing the fish hub - it is the very first one I wrote with income in mind, it is poorly optimized and not well written.  If someone steals it, or writes another like it, I won't die from it.

That hub is optimized (what little there is) around the idea of a self sustaining salt water aquarium, and for that I rank #1 and have for a long time.  It is a limited market, but has nevertheless pulled in an average of about 5 views per day since being published - not too bad for such a sorry example of hubbing.

Yes, I could add "crab" or something to the title and maybe bring a few readers interested in salt water crabs, but to what purpose?  They will quickly bounce out when they see it isn't about crabs, leaving me with a bounce and a near zero time on page.  Google doesn't like bounces or low time on page - why attract those readers that provide that and nothing more?

I would rather attract a reader that wants what I offer - that is a good part of why that hub has been in the #1 spot for over a year and has earned me a few dollars.  All of my performing hubs show a time of at least four *'s in HP stats - it's worth loss of some viewers to retain others.  Plus, others may travel around my subdomain if they like what they see.

Now consider the dryer cord hub (and there is another one giving instructions on the opposite action - they are written as a pair, complementing each other).

Again, a very specific title and summary, drawing in readers (hopefully) that are looking for exactly what is offered.  You mention readership - Google tells me that there are several hundred searches each month for the primary keyword.  Double that as there is a second hub.  Add in several more hundred for secondary keywords.  Total searchers I might reach is over 2,000 per month - to me a respectable number.

Now consider that maybe 1/3 of the people that change homes in America each year will have the problem addressed by this hub.  Suddenly the number of potential viewers is enormous - I have probably missed some great keywords.  It is hundreds or thousands of times the number that will set up a saltwater fish tank.

Those two hubs are brand new; over time the keywords being used (showing up in the title tuner) as well as those that are may be appropriate but not resulting in viewers (from WMT) will be considered and the entire hub tweaked for better or more keywords.

Seems to me that the 2 hubs on dryer cords have a much higher potential reader base than the fish aquarium ever could. 

Finally (this is getting way too long) are the seasonal hubs.  I have a few - a hub on winterizing an RV is peaking now and will soon die again - but generally try to stay away from them.  They don't get enough yearly traffic or income to be worthwhile.  An exception might be a quick, easy sales hub for Christmas - that could bring a year's worth of income (for one hub) in just the two or three months before it dies forever and it can be written in half an hour or so.

6. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

My traffic dropped from around 1400 views a day to less than 300 on articles which had the maximum time indicated plus hundreds of comments and thanks for the info I had provided in the hubs. 

Many were in the #1 spot on a Google search before suddenly plunging overnight.  I'm tired of trying to figure out the problem and apparently no one can tell me why this happened.  "Graspers" may be quite apt as a title in this case.  smile

1. wilderness profile image94

While think time on page is, and should be, something google is concerned with I don't think it is a cause for the plungers.  A top notch writer (you, Izzy, others) isn't going to fill a site with garbage that everyone quickly leaves.

I got a little of track with that time of page thing - the real "grasp" was about duplicate content, at least in the sense of theorizing what Panda thinks of lots of articles on the same topic.  We all know that google hates content farms (HP) and has commented that they don't like lots of articles on one site about the same thing, just using slightly different keywords.

That's what is being grasped at here.  It is hard to find a subject that hasn't been beaten to death, with over a million hubs to compete with.  Has G decided that 50% (or 30% or 10% or 1% or whatever) of a subdomain is too big a number when the subject is "duplicated" 50 times in HP?

Do we need to think about either choosing truly unique subjects or at least writing in very specific niches and plainly optimizing for those niches?  By doing so, we greatly lessen the competition for a particular subject, but also limit the visitors we can hope to pull in.

7. toygurus profile image56
    toygurusposted 12 years ago

Has anyone noticed a change in traffic today?

No

2. iQwest profile image49
      iQwestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I definitely have!

As my new normal, out of the blue, Google started sending organic search views my way again. I notice this started later in the day, yesterday.

This means I will see increasing traffic for the next few days before Google turns the lights out again.

I've made no changes to any of my Hubs!

1. toygurus profile image56

Google has decided to send me traffic again too. I will enjoy it while I can. It's been one month since I received traffic from them.

I Quest, your hub is now showing up for this search:
        Amazon Kindle Fire Release Date hubpages

Keep us updated on how long it lasts or if it plunges again.

8. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I got no change, but there was a googlebot spike through the night whatever that means.

A hub I changed the title of 4 weeks ago finally got updated in the search.
    All my hubs and sites dropped to a few places in the SERPS for an hour or two, then regained.

So something happened in the last few hours, but it seems nothing has changed in terms of traffic.

3 months today since the Plunge.

Izzy that purple bird of yours looks so unhappy!  I've come to the conclusion that I just have to concentrate on other things for a bit, as nothing I do here seems to improve my traffic, so there is no point getting het up about it

I'll continue to slowly remove the hubs that are getting zero traffic and see what happens.

2. toygurus profile image56

IzzyM, how do you know you got a google bot spike yesterday?

1. IzzyM profile image85

Webmaster Tools. There is a sharp spike on the graph. Of course, I don't know how often it updates, I know it is not everyday, but that spike wasn't there in the afternoon. And just after I noticed it, I saw Scroogle giving me weird (worse) results.

All back to normal today. Sometimes when you want change enough, you get it, but not all change is good change.

9. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Rummaging around Webmaster tools I found that I have received an answer to my reconsideration request.

The message said that no manual actions had been taken against the account, but possible reasons include changes of site content, content management system, or server architecture.

They also pointed me at this article:

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … &hl=en

10. wampyrii profile image65
    wampyriiposted 12 years ago

Bah, traffic gone again, just in time for the Christmas shopping rush. Thanks Google!

I'm starting to wonder if much of the problem is Google can't distinguish plagiarised content from the original any more and when it reaches critical mass - boom, the whole subdomain gets penalized and plunges.

A high performing page on another site I write at plummeted to nowhere recently. I searched G, found the article completely copied, filed a removal request and in 48 hours, hello traffic again.

Whilst I appreciate the relatively fast response time, it's beyond ridiculous if it is that easy to wipe out a competitor's page from the index and filing those removal requests isn't a quick process either!

I searched a few first sentences of my articles in Google today. In many cases I rank LAST for an exact match search surrounded quotes whilst a bunch of the usual scraped garbage or in some cases, gibberish articles with all the sentences rearranged to make nonsense, rank above it. That's ridiculous. Some are dead sites already, probably because someone else got their host to shut them down for plagiarism, but even those pages still remain in Google's cache and rank above mine.

I am tired of trying to figure this stuff out. I had a good month(ish) of traffic returning to normal levels now it dropped to virtually nothing again. I want to write here, I really do, but this bouncing traffic is making it a real grind.

11. davenmidtown profile image69

I wrote two new hubs with six keyword phases as sub titles and one keyword rich title and my google traffic increased 2150%  thats right ... 2150%.  I researched using googles ad tools and found key words phases within my subject that had a lot of traffic and Low competition.  I will be monitoring this daily to see how it progresses.

while I'm very happy for your success davenmidtown, the plungers are not plunging because they do not know how to use a keyword tool.  I'm talking about hubs that used to get Google traffic and now just don't

12. davenmidtown profile image69

I am sorry CMHypno... I was not referring to your situation... I had been having a dialog with wilderness... I should have addressed my post to him.  Have you CMHypno considered checking the competition of your hub to what is actually receiving traffic or placement?   It may be that you need to rewrite parts of your hub to make it more unique... not accusing... just saying... one of the things the new google looks for is uniqueness...

So here it goes davenmidtown, while I think that you are trying to be helpful I now have an accusation of duplicate content to add to the 'not using keyword tool', 'reads awkwardly', 'thin content'. 'vacuous' and all of the other things that have been thrown at us plungers.

I sincerely hope that the plunge doesn't happen to you, and it shouldn't because I've had a look at your hubs and they seem great to me, but be a bit aware that we have been pulling our hair out about what is causing the plunge and maybe are a tad sensitive on the subject

1. IzzyM profile image85

+1

2. davenmidtown profile image69
        davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CMHypno:  You do have duplicate content.  I check one of your historical hubs... and there is duplicate content according to copyscape... death of Amy someone... sorry.. it was 3am.  I try to be genuine in helping people... and as such... maybe that is offensive.  My question about keyword tools was not an accusation... if that is how you took it.  It was a question.  My other question was whether or not you have checked your competition for your keywords. 

I remember having an issue with my monitor once where it would not get signal from the computer.  After waiting on the phone for tech support... 3 hours... it turned out the cable was loose...

Lesson:  check the obvious first... or in this case check the things that are within your power to check and or change.  Be proactive in solving my own problems to best extent possible.  That is where I am coming from.

Hi davenmidtown, I will check out Amy Robsart - many of my hubs have been copied and like Izzy it is impossible to get them all pulled down.

I'm sorry if it seemed that I was biting your head off and I do realise you are trying to help, but I do write my own stuff and only post it once here on HP.

13. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

I feel for all those who still have not gotten their traffic back.   My traffic plunged when Panda first rolled out.  It spiked a couple of months later then dropped again on Sept. 6.  It came back on Nov. 10 and had held steady since.  The only difference was my entries in the Poetry contest.  I am not sure if my activity in the contest is what got my traffic back or not. 

Some things on Google search just don't make sense.  I used to search for the url of my hubs and would find that back-links outranked the actual hubs and in many cases the hub would not even be listed in the search.  I honestly believe Google search is broken in some way and they have no idea what is wrong.

Thanks SirDent.  I am genuinely happy that you have your traffic back and for all the hubbers who are doing well. I have been writing fiction for the contest but it hasn't done much to change my overall traffic, just a bit of extra going to those new hubs.

I have followed so many suggestions and done so many amendments, but nothing is working.  I can get a hubscore of 100 on occasion and I have never had a hub unpublished for violations, so what is the story?

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When the plunge first happened I did nothing.  The surge came and went and I was back in the plunge.  I started removing Amazon ads and nothing happened.  I just decided to wait it out.

There was one more thing I did but I think it has nothing to do with getting traffic back.  I joined RedGage and started posting links to my hubs.

All I can do now is wait it out.  I've started removing hubs and am pulling the poorest performers first, but it is a slow business.

All I can say is 'Happy Surge Day' to you all! smile

1. IzzyM profile image85

Here's an interesting thing.

I plunged exactly a week after publishing that hub that the Chinese stole (1,500 times).

A few days ago, I simply added more content to it. It was 10 best before, now it is 12 best.

So title change, bit more content, resubmitted it to Google through that tool on Wemasters tools, and while it still has no Google traffic, I can find it on the second search page under its exact title.

Before, its exact title was not in the top 100. It had been unique before the Chinese stole it.
            It gets traffic from others places so is by no means dead in the water.

Others reported recently about exact titles not showing up, or even worse, stolen copies showing up ahead of the original.

Google is broken, I am sure of that, but perhaps (in the cases where hubs have copies out there that can't be got rid of) a change to the hub is in order? Extra content is always an improvement, no matter what.

Hi Izzy, this does sound interesting and let us know how your hub gets on.  Fingers crossed! smile

I have changed the titles of lots of my hubs to get them within 63 characters, bring in better keywords and also HP suggested that the word 'buy' in a title was not seen as good.  I have also done a lot of rewriting and revision, and added new paragraphs.

I have reduced the amount of tags, cut out Amazon capsules, taken out links to UK Amazon astores, taken out links to my other hubs on a similar subject, put in more authority links,chanted 14 times a day, whined about it 60 times a day and the result is 'no change'

LOL as totters off in search of more vodka .......

1. IzzyM profile image85

I emailed you a couple of days ago, Did you get it?

Have just found it and replied

14. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Hi davenmidtown, I have just run the Amy Robsart hub through Copyscape and it came up as no results found?  If there is duplicate content there I genuinely want to know where it is so that I can sort it out?

Deleted

Deleted

Sorry you have lost me a bit - when it comes to historical facts like the titles of Francis Lovell, the names of people's estates, their parents, who they marry and dates when people are born and died you have to be historically accurate?

15. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Davenmidtown, please delete the last two posts where you quote a lot from CMHypno's hub. This is counted as duplicate content here on the forum which is also visible from the search engines!

Also take away the live links to the other sites. You have just given them a very nice backlink.

16. davenmidtown profile image69

accurate is needed but it does not have to bedulicate... for example..

this is one of the duplicate texts:  Sir John, 8th Baron Lovell of Titchmarsh

that can be written differently.. The son and heir to the baronage of Tichmarsh was born to Sir John Lovell who was the 8th Lovell baron of these lands.

17. davenmidtown profile image69

Izzy... I do not know how to delete them.

1. IzzyM profile image85

Bottom right of the post should be a delete button showing on the posts you wrote. Hurry as it is not there long.

CMHypno, please delete your replies too as you have copied over your own co[pied content.

hmmm you learn something new everyday...

1. IzzyM profile image85

Oh well, you will notice there is also an edit button there, and like the delete is only there for a limited time. Amazing how many people miss it. I think I did too at one time.

About the duplications you pointed out, there were random phrases that cannot really be changed completely and Google ignores that so long as there is also substantial new content.

When we talk of hubs being copied, we are talking about whole hubs, or half hubs, where whole paragraphs are identical, including personal phrases we may have added, like "my father had that too" or something that you will not find on wiki.

I do not think that is true anymore Izzy... I think that is why Google changed.  The spun articles and poor content are a thing of the past. They have toppled those affiliate  dynasties that used hundreds of websites and links from really bad crappy spun content and have opened up the playing field for people like you and me.  Yes, it is very confusing and difficult right now... But the point is that our work should show up under key searches and not just by looking for our exact title or our name.  Quality over quantity has replaced the pyramid scheme of the old affiliate dynasties... It means that we have to differentiate our articles from those we compete with.  It also means that competition within a keyword/key phrase should be low or vastly superior to the other competition.

18. davenmidtown profile image69

CMHypno... you may email me if you would like... it may be easier then trying to find this post in the forum each time... ds

19. WriteAngled profile image76
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

If a sequence of six words consisting of the name and title of a historical person, which is used in a long article, is counted as "duplication" worthy of being penalised, then this world has become totally insane!

There is only a limited number of variants for a name + title, while there might be an infinite number of ways in which to write about the person concerned.

I would assume... and this truly an assumption on my part... that if an article contained several of these duplicates Google would not pay much attention.  If the duplicate is more heavily used then perhaps the search engine would take offense... if there are duplication across an entire collection of an authors work without citation or authority... I can see that becoming a penalty.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)