Posting written articles as an image?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Aiden  Hill profile image60
    Aiden Hillposted 12 years ago

For style or any other reason.. is this frowned upon?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, but your SEO will certainly be doomed. big_smile

Aiden Hillposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm good point, unless you don't care about SEO :p

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

I read your profile. Have fun! big_smile

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Seems like a poor idea to me.

1) if it's to circumvent content rules here, you'll get busted eventually by a human.
    2) no search engine can read it.

No, for style. Just wondering tho. I guess it's not stated anywhere. Oh well.

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Graphically rendered body text is generally regarded as poor web design, since it varies so much by screen resolution and size, whereas real text is text, which each device displays in a way that is as readable as possible on that machine.

Fewer readers will find it, since you're writing it in a form that can't be read by browsers or search engines.

Most importantly, you need to consider that the web is a godsend for visually impaired and blind people, and every one of them that can afford it is using the web to get the bulk of their information. Screen readers allow them to participate in the web and read any text, but they can't see graphics. This includes not only blind users, but people like me with minor vision issues. I prefer reading by computer or tablet to printed material because I can boost the font size or enhance contrast with my browser's settings, or, on days when my eyes are just too dodgy, I get my computer to read aloud. It's impossible to do that with text-as-graphics.

As of 2001 there were 180 million visually impaired persons worldwide, and by now the number of visually impaired web users has to be getting close to that number. That's a large enough demographic that it's wise to make your content accessible to screen readers whenever possible.

Text-as-graphics is also a problem for readers accessing the web with tablets or mobile devices, a market which is growing very, very rapidly-- there will soon be more people reading the web from mobile devices than computers. Several major news publications just got egg on their faces for publishing iPad editions as graphics rather than text, which not only can't be searched and navigated, but which are displayed as blurry and out of focus because the iPad has to upscale them now that screen resolution has doubled. 

I have noticed that Hubpages' image uploader tends to make screenshots blurry and out of focus, as it's trying to save file size. I can't read the result.

Wow what a response. O.k. cool, question resolved wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)