Is my title limiting my traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. LetitiaFT profile image73
    LetitiaFTposted 11 years ago

2 days ago I published my 8th and what I thought would be my most successful hub yet, which is about thieving foxes (the animals). According to google, however, I've only had 5 pageviews, my record low. It finally occurred to me that the title, which is supposed to be funny and is totally pertinent to the subject, may sound too kinky for the search engines. Then again, maybe it's something else. I'd appreciate feedback. http://letitiaft.hubpages.com/hub/Why_foxes_steal
    Thanks

1. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the title is bad because your key phrase should be somewhere near the beginning, but I think very few people search for this topic anyway. Have you checked with the Google keyword tool?

2. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

Plus your title is confusing at first glance. If people need to decipher it, they are going to just move on immediately.

3. LetitiaFT profile image73
    LetitiaFTposted 11 years ago

Thanks Haunty and Jane. So basically, I don't get the topic across quick and easy enough, but neither of you seem to think the use of Vixen and Fetishist are the problem.
    What if I change the original title:
    "Petanque Ball Vixen and Fetishist Fox: A Look at Why Foxes Steal"
    to something like
    "What do Foxes Steal and Why: the Case of the Petanque Ball Vixen"
    Or is that still too wordy?
    Thanks, Letitia

1. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would go with:

'What do foxes steal?' which apparently has 60k+ searched globally per month, whereas 'What do foxes steal?' came up with no searches logged!

LetitiaFTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks aguasilver, I'll get right on it!

2. aguasilver profile image70

Below are the keywords from the hub analysed:

Keyword Competition Global Monthly Searches  Local Monthly Searches 
        obut Low 60,500 170

pétanque shop Low 5,400 36

pétanque set Low 880 < 10

obut boules Low 8,100 < 10

obut match Low 2,400 < 10

what do foxes Low 60,500 28

what is petanque Low 550,000 4,400

Is the highest ranker, so maybe:

"What is petanque, and why do players have their balls grabbed?"

May be the line you need! smile

Hilarious! I was planning to do one on petanque, I'll see how I can work all that in between the two hubs! Thanks so much.

2. Susana S profile image94
          Susana Sposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need to be looking at "phrase" or "exact" match rather than "broad" otherwise you'll get very erroneous data about the actual amount of search traffic for a keyphrase.

Broad Match
          what is petanque 550,000

Exact Match
          [what is petanque] 210

Phrase Match
          "what is petanque" 260

If Letitia was to get number 1 position for "what is petanque" she'd get about 50% of 260 ish per month - so 4 or 5 hits per day.

1. aguasilver profile image70

Thanks, I will remember that, I don't bother with keyword research, as you can tell! smile

2. LetitiaFT profile image73

Wow, Susana, this is a revelation, and I know you know what you're talking about (I recognized your fantastic photo from the success stories page)! I'll look into this immediately. Thanks so much.

4. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

I've just checked and your hub is 1st in Google SERPs if you search for 'why foxes steal.' So if this is your key phrase then the title probably doesn't need changing. The problem is no one really searches for this.

If you did indeed get Google hits less than two day after publishing the hub, why don't you check your hub stats for the actual keywords that led people to your hub and try to focus on those?

I also agree with Jane that the title is funny, but it doesn't give a clear impression of whether the hub contains actual useful information or if it's just a funny piece for entertainment.

Hi Haunty, I've changed it to: "What do Foxes Steal and Why? A Humorous Look at Fox Theft" I'm hoping that indicates that it is--hopefully--both informative and funny! Strangely "what do foxes" ranks well too! Thanks again!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)