Does Pinterest divert traffic from HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

I chose to not have my stuff pinned on Pinterest, so I do not know  the answer to my question. I am just curious. Do you feel that Pinterest, with recipes, images, and other pins, diverts traffic from your hubs? What if you wrote a recipe hub and the recipe was pinned to Pinterest, and someone copied that recipe for their own use, would that not pull traffic away from your recipe hub? I am not familiar enough with Pinterest to know if hubs lose traffic to the pins.

1. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you pin your hubs on Pinterest and someone else repins them Phyllis, each time someone clicks on the image for your hub they should be redirected to Hub Pages. The more the pin is shared/repinned the more views should be directed to your hub.

Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Okay - I think I am beginning to understand it. Thanks, Jodah.

I checked a few pins and see that they do link back to the original article. Now - I have another problem:

How do I log out of Pinterest?  I see NOWHERE to logout.

Okay - I found out how to logout. Click on my name then click on the wheel on edit profile page. Geesh ! I am a Pinterest dummy!!!  I am learning, though.  smile

Thanks, folks, for your help in clarifying some things for me.

1. Jodah profile image92

Glad you sorted that out Phyllis. Like everything else just takes practice. Good luck.

Thanks, Jodah. Happy New Year ! I wish you and your loved ones the best of everything in 2015.

1. Jodah profile image92

Same to you and yours Phyllis. Hope to catch you on Pinterest.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Phyllis, I hadn't thought about it that way, the example you give with the recipes.  Perhaps in that sense, it seems like it could pull traffic away?  The thing is though, it would likely post only a picture on your recipe hub, not the recipe itself.  So it may be a great way to link to the recipe.

I recall when they first put the buttons on our pages, and I was wondering about it.  Over time though, I realized the pins probably help overall, with the link back.  Not sure of what is the latest though on all of that.  Will be watching for others answers that might know more.  So thanks for asking.

Thanks, Ocean. I am going to sign in to Pinterest and do some research to see if in some cases, like recipes or crafts, the whole instructions are given or if it is only a blurb with a link back to someone's hub (or another site).

I am interested to see if anyone receives traffic from Pinterest. I don't, since my settings do not allow pins.

1. Jodah profile image92

After Hub Pages and Google search, Pinterest is my highest source of traffic Phyllis. Higher than Facebook and Google+ and I share more often on those sites than I do at Pinterest.

Whoa!  Guess I have been slow in learning more about Pinterest. I think I will change my settings and start a board on Pinterest, too. Thanks, Jodah.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
              The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis,
              When you move your mouse over a photo there is a small plus sign, before you get to Pin. When you click that it enlarges the photo and at the top is a box which says "View Site". In order for someone to read your recipe they would be viewing your Hub because that is directly where that leads you. So whether or not you get comments, you would first be getting viewers. Try it.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
            Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have Pinterest and it shows I do in my profile but it will not show up to be used on my hubpages. Any advice on how to fix that?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
              The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not quite understand what you mean by that Jackie. Can you explain farther? Is the URL on your profile page in HP the same as the URL on Pinterest? When I clicked on the 'P' in HP it went to Pinterest.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I noticed that when I changed my social network setting to allow my hubs to be pinned, the Pinterest red P is now included with the other social network buttons on the side of my hub near he bottom. Check to see if you have the Pinterest button there, Jackie.

Also, Jackie, the Pinterest shows up on your profile because you would have entered that url in your profile to go in the "also follow me on" section

Edit: Just go to your Profile and Edit Profile. Then click on social networks then uncheck the "disallow my hubs to be pinned on Pinterest" - then you will get the red Pinterest share button on your hubs.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
                  Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is crazy but Pinterest was in Edit profile just wouldn't come up on hubpage so after reading this I went in to see what you meant and I didn't see anything about disallow but on a whim just took the / off the link and hit the space bar (you know how that makes a link?) and when I checked it was right there on the profile but not the hubpages. Will try more.  OK OK I got it! Thanks!!!

Jackie, go to your Profile and Edit Profile. Then click on Social Networks. Just a little ways down on the left you will see:

Facebook Connect
                    You can connect your Facebook account with your HubPages account by clicking the Connect button below.
                    connect with facebook

Pinterest
                    Disallow Pinterest users from pinning my Hubs.

There is a little box in front of Disallow Pinterest users from pinning my Hubs and there should be a check mark in that box.. Clear the check mark and your hubs will then have the Pinterest share button along with the Facebook, Twitter, G+ buttons.  smile

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Users choose what they are pinning and sharing, so it's possible that more than just an image can be shared.  However that is the predominant activity which occurs.

Thanks, Rae.

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I receive a constant flow of visitors from Pinterest.  I can see them when I log into Google Analytics realtime.

3. Sheri Innoxent profile image53
    Sheri Innoxentposted 9 years ago

hi

4. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I think that it is possible that Pinterest can take away traffic.  If you have an image that can stand alone, say a quote, the people who want inspirational quotes will have no reason to click the pin to come to the site.

However, I have found that most of my traffic (more than Google even) comes from Pinterest.  The key is to create images that entice people to click on the image.  So instead of a picture of a bag of money, somehow the Pinner needs to know that behind the image is an article that tells them how to get this bag of money.  You can do it with your caption, but Pinners can change the words, so the best way to do it is to put the words on the image itself.

The funny thing is, you don't really have to go to Pinterest, open an account, or do anything there.  If you create images that people want to pin, they do all the work for you. 

(But it is a fun and addictive site, so definitely worth signing up.)

5. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

I don't know. How can I learn more of how Pinterest works?

6. Arachnea profile image66
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

It's been said above, but the link on pinterest, in the post, directs to the article itself. The whole of the content doesn't display in the pin. It's like G+, Tsu, Tumblr, etc, in tha the link provided in the pin redirects to the content, but the pinner has to include the blurb or summary in the pin or the only thing that displays is the image attached to the URL. If no image populates with the web address being used, then it's not possible to pin it. Pinterest is actually good for directing traffic to other social media like Tsu and Twitter.

7. CassandraCae profile image83
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

Pinterest can make you money if your not the best with Google and getting search traffic.

8. Phillip Ycaza profile image57
    Phillip Ycazaposted 9 years ago

I am kind of new here. So please bear with me. Anyways, I think not. That is why plagiarism exists. What benefit would they get if they are caught?

9. Lee Hansen profile image77
    Lee Hansenposted 9 years ago

Most of my traffic on Hubpages comes from Pinterest ...

Thanks, Lee. The more I read the comments here, the more I feel good about Pinterest. In the beginning I was very doubtful due to some criticism about Pinterest I heard on another site I was writing for.  It was quite new then and I never really bothered to research it for myself. Now I am anxious to get started.

10. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 9 years ago

I have had my hubs pinned over 200,000 times.

Sometimes I've received up to 6,000 views/day just from Pinterest, using MFP images.

Pinterest is a fantastic traffic source. Think of it as a visual bookmarking site.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you here! I hope you have a wonderful new year.

That is very a impressive number of Pinterest referrals; do you work at pinning a lot or following others boards or do you think it is just in the images?

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just use Made For Pinterest images. I pin the image once, just for kicks. That's about it - I don't really log in to Pinterest much.

Most of the pins are people pinning directly from my hub smile

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Thanks, WriLilt. All these comments are proving very helpful. It is really impressive the traffic #s you see from Pinterest.

Can we pin our own hubs?

1. WryLilt profile image89

Yes we can. Like anything, you should mix it up a bit though, with other content.

Great !  Thanks.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

WryLilt - somebody, a few years ago, posted information on customizing photos for Pinterest.  Do you have that information - some people might enjoy reading the how-to. You're right - that's a good way to attract pins.

That is interesting. I would like to read that 'how to' post.

2. Hooks and Needles profile image69
        Hooks and Needlesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just finished WryLilt's hub and then got pulled in and read more hubs that she wrote. Here is the link. http://wrylilt.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … -Pinterest

I'd suggest anyone new read all of her hubs about getting traffic. She has some good pointers about writing titles and your first paragraph too.

3. WryLilt profile image89

See link that Hooks & Needles posted smile

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I don't do anything on Pinterest and it's my second highest source of traffic after google.com.

1. Hooks and Needles profile image69
      Hooks and Needlesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

rebekahELLE, Possibly if you did, you just might double your traffic. I'd make it one of my goals for the new year. It is well worth it.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're probably right, thanks. That may just be one of my HP related goals.  The biggest obstacle for me is time.  I also can get easily sidetracked.  Anyone care to share their time related advice so as not to get distracted?

I should clarify my previous post.  Pinterest is currently my second highest traffic source, not my second highest in the Ever column.  It's not even in the Top 10 in my Ever column.

12. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

You can pin anything you like by pasting in the page url and clicking the picture you want to pin

13. carolynkaye profile image94
    carolynkayeposted 9 years ago

I get lots of Pinterest traffic, though it seems to come in waves. I have a few Hubs that are pinned numerous times per day and others that get pinned now and then. Some of my recipes, 'how-to' hubs and anything on cats tends to do well for me on there.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a cat board - I will visit your hubs to see what kitty things I can pin from there!

14. likepage profile image59
    likepageposted 9 years ago

i have the problem in this website hibpage WARNING: There are one or more recipe capsules in this Hub, but this Hub will not appear as a recipe in search results
    You must have a Ratings Capsule of the "Recipe Rating" type in order for a Hub to appear as a recipe in search results. please give me the answers

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)