Crazy Alabama Laws
Each and every state has it's own crazy laws. I started with Alabama becuse it is alphabetically the first state. As I began to read some of the crazy laws out there I decided I needed to share them with others. I hope you have as much fun reading about some of the laws as I did researching them.
Crazy Laws of Alabama
- It is illegal to maim oneself to escape duty.
This law was originally written to prevent a person from injuring themselves to get out of a legal duty, gain sympathy or recieve charity.
- Bear wrestling matches are prohibited.
The reson for this law was to protect the bear from being maimed or killed. It was written by in a time when people enjoyed the barberic sport of bear fighting. Many times people declawed, removed teeth or severed tendons to make a fight more interesting. Many times the bear surgically altered would be killed in the fight.
- Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
This law was put into effect back in the days when it was unlawful for stores to be open on Sundays. People were not allowed to play games or work unless it was for personnal domestic comfort.
- Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.
- You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.
- It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
- In Auburn, Alabama no person may spit on the floor of a church.
Actually, the law also says that it is unlawful for a person to spit on sidewalks, floors of places of worship, buses, public halls, theaters or any other public place. It just sounds like common sense to me.
- Women may not wear a 'lewd dress' in public.
This was originated in Mobile, Alabamato keep any person from appearing in public in the nude or indecent clothing. It also was meant to cover indecent exposure.
- It is illegal to spit orange peels on the sidewalk.
Look at number 7.
- It is illegal to howl at ladies within city limits.
When this law was originally passed there were many military men in the area. It was passed to stop the men from embarrassing the ladies.
- It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
- It is illegal to wear a blindfold while operating a moving vehicle.
Not only illegal but dumb.
Alabama Fun Facts
- Montgomery's Lightning Route, established in 1886, was the first-ever electric streetcar system.
- Alabama workers built the first rocket to put humans on the moon.
- Heather Whitestone of Alabama became the first Miss America chosen with a disability.
- The telegram that started the Civil War was sent from Alabama
- When Alabama joined the Union in 1819 as the 22nd state it became known as "The Heart of Dixie."
- At the Hank Williams Museum in Montgomery, you can see the '52 Cadillac in which he died—at the age of 29.
- The first 911 call in the United States was made in Haleyville, Alabama on February 16, 1968.
- Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, and Creek Indians lived throughout Alabama.
- The word Alabama means tribal town in the Creek Indian language.
- The man who killed Billy the Kid was born in Alabama.
- The state nut of Alabama is the pecan.
- The world's first Electric Trolley System was introduced in Montgomery in 1886.
- The Confederate flag was designed and first flown in Alabama in 1861.
- Alabama is the only state to have an alcoholic beverage as its official drink: Conecuh Ridge Whiskey.
- It was in 1955 that a black woman named Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus to a white passenger. The uproar prompted Martin Luther King, Jr. to lead a successful boycott of the city's public transportation. His success brought the technique of passive resistance to national prominence.
- Best Vacation Spots in Alabama
Alabama has many vacation destinations. Discover just a few places that top the list of most vacationers and residents in the beautiful state of Alabama.
- 10 Weird and Unusual Things to See and Do in Alabama
Ten unique and unusual tourist attractions in the state of Alabama.
- Bellingrath Gardens near Mobile Bay in Alabama ~ Pic...
For the garden lover, a history of the beautiful Bellingrath Gardens near Mobile Bay in Alabama is presented with many photos & videos.
- Haunted Locations In The USA, Alabama
Here you will be reading about Haunted Locations In The USA from the state of Alabama. If your looking for the most haunted locations in Alabama you will be able to read all about them here.
- Alabama- America A to Z
Fun facts and interesting history about the State of Alabama.
More by this Author
Everyone knows about Las Vegas, Nevada. We all know it's the favorite place to visit. Did you know that 80% of all visitors to Las Vegas return for another visit?
Lincoln, Nebraska at Sunset Image from bing.com/images Donut holes may not be sold in Lehigh, Nebraska. It is illegal to fly a plane when drunk. In Waterloo, Barbers are forbidden to eat onions between 7 AM and 7...
Remember that special aunt or uncle that always showed how much they cared? Now you can show them how much you care by sending them a loving quote.