If Money Were No Object, What Classes Would You Take?
By Joan Whetzel
A while back, I did an informal survey asking, "if money were no object, what classes would you like to take?" The answers varied from archaeology to the history of warfare, from art or photography to quilting. I was inspired to look into what interesting and diverse courses were offered here in Houston. Below are listed a number of courses that might be interesting to take if time and money were no object.
Classes of Interest
2) SBA (Small Business Administration) classes
3) Newsletter Writing For Profit
4) Paralegal training program
From the Leisure Learning Catalog I found these intriguing classes.
5) Night Owl's Guide to Houston, which promises a tour and meal at little known places around Houston - after 9 PM.
6) Basics of Paranormal Investigations - Ghost Hunting.
7) Halloween Cemetery Safari - a three hour tour of six cemeteries on Halloween night.
8) Pottery Making - with and without a wheel.
9) Copperplate Calligraphy.
10) Farmer's Package: Aquaponics and Farm Tour.
11) Backyard Poultry, raising poultry in your own backyard.
12) Massala Bhangra Workout (Indian Inspired dance fitness).
13) Fruit Carving.
14) The Basics of Screenwriting.
15) 20 Ways to Earn Residual Income.
16) Artisan Breads Baked at Home.
17) Shopping Green for the Holidays.
18) How Secret Societies Affect Us Daily.
19) Improv Comedy.
20) Grant Writing I, II, and III.
21) Super Charging Your Facebook Marketing.
22) Mystery Shopping for Fun and Profit.
23) How to Become a Professional Private Investigator.
These are only a few of the courses I have found that intrigue me. When I was in college - I went in my 40s (late bloomer, I guess) and graduated at the age of 50 - I found some interesting classes to take as part of my history minor. Four of the classes I took were: History of Pirates and Smuggling (yes, that's really a class), History of the Civil Rights Movement, History of the Modern Middle East, and Environmental History of the United States. I loved these classes. I wouldn't mind taking more classes like these. Houston Community Colleg also offers many classes that are aimed at the general community and are not tied to any degree program. They are just for the fun of learning. They are well worth looking into.
Self Training Courses that Could Be Fun to Take
More by this Author
English vocabulary is taught in schools across America, Canada, Great Britain, and all other English speaking countries. Part of those vocabulary and reading lessons includes the study of prefixes and suffixes, and how...
Speed can be measured in many different ways and the instruments used to measure speed vary with the job.
A handful of sites list a gravesite in Katy, Texas as The Witch's Grave. It tells about some supernatural events that are supposed to occur at teh site. But is it really haunted? Or is it merely an urban legend?