Matthew Kirk profile image 89

Is Evolution a theory or is it simply fact? What constitutes a theory?

"People write to me that evolution is only a theory. Well, it is not a theory. Evolution is as solid a historical fact as you could conceive. Evidence from every quarter. What is a theory is whether natural selection is the mechanism and the only mechanism. That is a theory. But the historical reality that dinosaurs led to birds and mammals produced whales, that's not theory." - David Attenborough The above quote got me thinking. Is it a theory or is it simply fact? When does evidence become so overwhelming?

hockey8mn profile image91

hockey8mn says

• Matthew Kirk profile image

Matthew Kirk 4 years ago

Surely we have to accept some things as facts? I think eternals3ptember answered this one pretty well. The law of gravity states gravity is a fact and has been proven, the theory of gravity is about working out exactly how it works and what makes it!

nanderson500 profile image90

nanderson500 says

wtaylorjr2001 profile image81

William H Taylor (wtaylorjr2001) says

78

Jayesef says

• Matthew Kirk profile image

Matthew Kirk 4 years ago

I agree with this I think. The Sigma scale which they use a lot in physics sounds like an interesting way of proving far beyond 'reasonable' doubt but not theoretical doubt, not a doubt any sane person would bet on.

ftclick profile image59

ftclick says

0

Larry Wall says

• wtaylorjr2001 profile image

William H Taylor (wtaylorjr2001) 4 years ago

Gravity and all of the laws in science are not facts.

http://physics.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/n...

God has nothing to do with science because there is no possible experiment that can prove God doesn't exist.